Way to go Washington and Colorado state [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Way to go Washington and Colorado state

Smokey
11-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Last night voters in Washington and Colorado state voted to legalize marijuana. Adults over 21 can buy up to an ounce of marijuana from state-licensed retail stores.

I am glad some poeple [and politicians] are coming to their senses regarding legalization of drug issue. best way to fight it is to legalize it, tax it and take criminial elements out of it. And not wasting tax dollars keeping somebody locked up because of it.

Lets just hope not all the pot heads start moving to those states :D

Feanor
11-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Last night voters in Washington and Colorado state voted to legalize marijuana. Adults over 21 can buy up to an ounce of marijuana from state-licensed retail stores.

I am glad some poeple [and politicians] are coming to their senses regarding legalization of drug issue. best way to fight it is to legalize it, tax it and take criminial elements out of it. And not wasting tax dollars keeping somebody locked up because of it.

The idea of legalizing most drugs and regulating and taxing their sales is SO obvious. But ... what? Such a huge industry has emerged to fight the "war of drugs" that now business interests as well as moralists will oppose common sense.

BTW, when asked about the results in the USA our Conservative prime minister asserted today that marijuana would NOT be legalized in Canada.

JohnMichael
11-07-2012, 07:58 PM

I agree and let us free those in prison who are incarcerated for either using marijuana, selling or cutivating it. That will help most states budgets and the tax income will be good.

Smokey
11-07-2012, 09:08 PM
BTW, when asked about the results in the USA our Conservative prime minister asserted today that marijuana would NOT be legalized in Canada.

Maybe he should consult with voters before making his mind up :)

Technically the drug is still illegal according to US federal laws and both states probably will have a fight over their hand in federal court, but I think the tide is turning regarding that issue. Among those who supported legalization in Washington state were two judges.

StevenSurprenant
11-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Maybe this will revitalize the audio industry? What's better than being stoned, listening to some tunes and eating cookies, well, eating pretty much anything...?

It's an old argument, but It seems odd that they didn't set the age to buy it at 18, which is the age people can vote, drive and join the military. It's also the age that most beginners will try it. Now the courts will be flooded with young people. In addition, this also keeps the black market alive for that age group and potentially exposes those people to dealing with sellers who also sell hard drugs.

The other problem is that people will test positive days after they have consumed, so how will this affect DUI's (DWI's)?

In Illinois one police department got tired of arresting people for pot only to have the courts dismiss it, that they now process the people at the police station ( and I assume, fine them) and then let them go. What they're doing is probably illegal, but who's complaining?

I wonder how far they thought this out? At least it's a step in the right direction.

ForeverAutumn
11-08-2012, 06:35 AM
I agree that it's a step in the right direction, but there's still a long way to go. As a marketer, I'm going find it interesting to see how Marijauna is sold and priced in these state-licensed retail stores.

I don't smoke pot, but if I did I'd probably still go to my dealer who is likely going to sell it to me cheaper than a state-taxed store becuase he wants the business. If I'm caught with an ounce of pot on me, is the cop going to ask me for a receipt to prove where I bought it?

We see this with cigarettes all the time. I have friends who buy their cigarettes from First Nation Reserves, because they don't have to pay the huge luxury tax that is added to our cigarettes. There's a black market for everything that's highly taxed.

This may make it easier to buy and carry pot, but it's not going to increase tax revenue anytime soon.

ForeverAutumn
11-08-2012, 06:41 AM

Just wait until Justin Trudeau is running the country. :thumbsup:

Maybe he should consult with voters before making his mind up

You obviously don't know our Prime Minister. Arrogance is his middle name.

Hyfi
11-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Just to clear up a misconception, Pot is not a drug, it is a plant with medicinal properties.

A drug in a man made Pharmaceutical product.

Feanor
11-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Maybe he {Prime Minister Stephen Harper} should consult with voters before making his mind up :)

Technically the drug is still illegal according to US federal laws and both states probably will have a fight over their hand in federal court, but I think the tide is turning regarding that issue. Among those who supported legalization in Washington state were two judges.
Haha! Harper has an absolute majority in Parliament and three more years in his mandate so at the moment he cares diddly squat about the voters. There is little doubt in my mind that if put to a referendum, a majority would vote that possession of marijuana be legal

Due to our "first past the post" constituency election method, (as in the USA), PM Harper has an absolute majority in Parliament with under 40% of the popular vote. If we Canadians had a straight two-party system, Harper would never have been PM.

In the USA, the President can be at odds with Congress; (House of Reps, Senate, or both). This is impossible in a parliamentary system because a prime minister has to resign if he doesn't "enjoy the confidence" of members of parliament.

BTW, in Canada criminal law, including definition of illegal drugs, is entirely in Federal jurisdiction.

bobsticks
11-08-2012, 01:36 PM
The idea of legalizing most drugs and regulating and taxing their sales is SO obvious. But ... what? Such a huge industry has emerged to fight the "war of drugs" that now business interests as well as moralists will oppose common sense...

Yes...

Hyfi
11-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Maybe selling Pot is how they will create 15 million new jobs

Mr Peabody
11-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Don't think so small, what about the tourism n those states, it could be like the new Amsterdam. An oasis smoke den surrounded by convenience stores, LOL
My broker says "buy stock in rolling papers"

Feanor
11-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Dope will be good for (legitimate) business!!

BoJonJovi
11-10-2012, 07:59 AM
I live in Pueblo, Colorado. This past summer three very large Mexican Cartel pot farms were found within 50 miles of my home; two in the San Isabel forest and one during the Waldo fire. I am glad we legalized it. The cartels were getting too close to home.
I would much rather see a legitimate farmer feeding his/her family with the profits rather than a Cartel buying guns with the profits.