An interesting movie to go with our Science-Religion discussions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : An interesting movie to go with our Science-Religion discussions

Hyfi
11-06-2012, 09:26 AM
I watched an interesting movie the other night called The genesis Code. The basics of the movie are 2 college students, a girl who's father is a Reverend and she is majoring in Paleontology, and a guy who is not religious and in the science field also.

As the relationship develops, and they learn from each other, the guy challenges the girl to prove that Science and Religion don't clash 100% of the time.

The girl has a nerdy science geek for a brother who works thru the problem. The main question was how could God have created everything in 6 days.

The theory that comes has to do with how time is perceived relative to the Big Bang and expansion of the universe. Basically, at the time of the big bang, a day as we see it now could have been equal to millions of years and as the universe expanded and stretched, a day is now more what we see it as today.

In the end, I found the movie to be more biased towards pro religion rather than pro science but it all made perfect sense as a possibility of explaining the 6 days vs what we see as millions of years.

Still an enjoyable movie and recommended to everyone previously involved in the heated discussions.

Feanor
11-06-2012, 12:18 PM
I watched an interesting movie the other night called The genesis Code. The basics of the movie are 2 college students, a girl who's father is a Reverend and she is majoring in Paleontology, and a guy who is not religious and in the science field also.

As the relationship develops, and they learn from each other, the guy challenges the girl to prove that Science and Religion don't clash 100% of the time.

The girl has a nerdy science geek for a brother who works thru the problem. The main question was how could God have created everything in 6 days.

The theory that comes has to do with how time is perceived relative to the Big Bang and expansion of the universe. Basically, at the time of the big bang, a day as we see it now could have been equal to millions of years and as the universe expanded and stretched, a day is now more what we see it as today.

In the end, I found the movie to be more biased towards pro religion rather than pro science but it all made perfect sense as a possibility of explaining the 6 days vs what we see as millions of years.

Still an enjoyable movie and recommended to everyone previously involved in the heated discussions.
It's always good to hear of an enjoyable movie.

The concept of the 6 Days being metaphorical or analogical is so-o-o-o old that I heard if from my mother when I was child; (markw would remind you that that is a long time ago).

It wasn't a terribly compelling idea for me even back then. (Once I realized that Santa Clause wasn't real I began to have doubts about God -- I was a precocious kid.)

Metahphor and analogies too easy to make, so in a sense the Fundamentalists and Bible literalists are justified in refusing metaphorical explanations.

I have a lot of "liberal" Christian, Jewish, and some Muslim acquaintances who take the position that God takes no direct action in the material world today (and likely never did). For them, God works through the hearts and minds of the believers: this is an attitude I can accept, though it's not my own.

RGA
11-06-2012, 04:40 PM
I think all of us try to do the mental summer-salts to try to fit the square peg into the round hole.

I've even done this with evolution combined with the multiple universes theory. Perhaps God evolved in a parallel universe for trillions of years and that time-line operates at a faster rate than in our universe. God managed to jump universes and decided to create this one - so the being known as God is a product of evolution and satisfies religious people's faith and science. It's not too bad except that like religious God - it's all made up out of one's head. The God day versus a human day is a nice way to get around the fact that Bible makes no sense. So we bend our world to fit the idiocy of holy texts written at a time where people had no real science. As science basically made the holy texts look completely idiotic THEN and only then did people, instead of chucking the bible in the rubbish bin where it belongs, they decided to read as metaphor and a series of analogies (except any bits they want to read as literal).

It's a non issue anyway - who cares if someone believes or not - the only time I care is when it affects me - and that is usually from the "extremist" elements that religion creates.

Hyfi
11-07-2012, 09:28 AM
I did not really intend to restart the believer vs non debate but rather give a plug for an entertaining movie that gives an almost plausible explanation as to the 6 days of Genesis being observed as 1 day = XX Million years, while today as the universe has expanded for millions of years and time has been stretched to the point we now observe 1 day as 24 hours.

Feanor
11-09-2012, 02:02 PM
I did not really intend to restart the believer vs non debate but rather give a plug for an entertaining movie that gives an almost plausible explanation as to the 6 days of Genesis being observed as 1 day = XX Million years, while today as the universe has expanded for millions of years and time has been stretched to the point we now observe 1 day as 24 hours.
Your intentions were the best! :)