Monday, Monday [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Monday, Monday

JohnMichael
11-03-2012, 05:54 PM
This Monday can go either way for me. My doctor is sending me to an Oncologist. My white blood cells and platelets dropped to alarm low levels. He wants me to have a bone marrow test. Sounds like a good time to me.

I of course think we need to check my blood again before any other testing. Labs can make mistakes. In the mean time I may get a flu shot and stop shaving my legs. At least I do not have to worry about stroke or heart attack because like in sports I could not throw a good clot/ball.

Oh well the fun of wait and see.

ForeverAutumn
11-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Good luck John. Definately get the flu shot. Being in health care, that's something that you should be doing anyway. Let us know how your meeting with the Oncologist and your tests go.

Feanor
11-04-2012, 04:40 AM
Better do what the doctor says and get the flu shot too. I gather that bone marrow testing is a bit more intrusive than a urine sample: hope it isn't too much of travail.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-04-2012, 09:31 AM
JM,
I hope the news you get is good news. Please, take care of yourself, your baby (dog) needs you.

JohnMichael
11-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Better do what the doctor says and get the flu shot too. I gather that bone marrow testing is a bit more intrusive than a urine sample: hope it isn't too much of travail.

From my understanding a small sample is extracted from the sternum. Much easier than what people who donate marrow experience. They have a larger amount extracted from the hip.

JohnMichael
11-04-2012, 11:56 AM
JM,
I hope the news you get is good news. Please, take care of yourself, your baby (dog) needs you.

They say the good die young so I should be around for a long while. Yes I will keep myself healthy to keep up with Corky's demands on how often I walk. He is a great coach.

Feanor
11-04-2012, 12:05 PM
From my understanding a small sample is extracted from the sternum. Much easier than what people who donate marrow experience. They have a larger amount extracted from the hip.
That does sound easier. We're all routing for a negative test result.

JohnMichael
11-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Did they really need 13 vials of my blood and when will the dizziness clear? My Oncologist does feel it is a bone marrow issue since two cell lines are involved. She did say there were no immature cells so little fear of leukemia. She wants to see me in two weeks to go over the lab results. The results will determine if I need the bone marrow test. I was hoping she would send me home to eat more steaks and drink red wine.

kexodusc
11-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Did they really need 13 vials of my blood and when will the dizziness clear? My Oncologist does feel it is a bone marrow issue since two cell lines are involved. She did say there were no immature cells so little fear of leukemia. She wants to see me in two weeks to go over the lab results. The results will determine if I need the bone marrow test. I was hoping she would send me home to eat more steaks and drink red wine.

I don't know enough to know if this is good news, but avoiding leukemia sure is. Rooting for you, John. :thumbsup: