Bob Marley - Exodus [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bob Marley - Exodus

DarrenH
04-19-2004, 09:48 AM
I listened to this over the weekend all I have to say is, "What a great friggin' album".

I'm not very familiar with reggae but this album was amazing. Soon after listening to Exodus I pulled out a Marley comp that Geezer made for me some time ago and spun that as well. Pretty damn good music. I never thought I could like reggae. Of course, I said the same thing of Jazz and look how much I've progressed with that genre. Anyway, it was a great weekend for this type of music. Warm (finally) and lots of sunshine. Very uplifting. I'm hooked. Where do I go next? Rastaman Vibration? Kaya? Both?

Too bad Marley died at such a young age.

Darren

tentoze
04-19-2004, 09:57 AM
I listened to this over the weekend all I have to say is, "What a great friggin' album".

I'm not very familiar with reggae but this album was amazing. Soon after listening to Exodus I pulled out a Marley comp that Geezer made for me some time ago and spun that as well. Pretty damn good music. I never thought I could like reggae. Of course, I said the same thing of Jazz and look how much I've progressed with that genre. Anyway, it was a great weekend for this type of music. Warm (finally) and lots of sunshine. Very uplifting. I'm hooked. Where do I go next? Rastaman Vibration? Kaya? Both?

Darren
I'm sure not the reggae expert either, but Catch A Fire good, early Wailers. And this one is pretty dang good also...

Stone
04-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Where do I go next? Rastaman Vibration? Kaya? Both?

Darren

If you like the (relatively) slick production of Exodus, I'd probably go with Rastaman Vibration next. However, I like the earlier stuff better. I highly recommend Catch a Fire, but it's different from Exodus in production and attitude. If you want even rougher, go with African Herbsman.

As far as I'm concerned, the proper albums are all at least really good. However, I'd get Survival and Confrontation last (and as a general rule, stay away from the non-Tuff Gong, non-Trojan stuff).

For what it's worth, here are my top ten Marley albums (today):

1. Catch a Fire
2. African Herbsman
3. Burnin'
4. Natty Dread
5. Soul Rebels
6. Uprising
7. Rastaman Vibration
8. Exodus
9. Live!
10. Kaya

Stone

Dave_G
04-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Well, reggae is great, it appeals to certain types, glad you are liking it.

The real old Bob is different, it's very simplistic and production is minimal.

He started getting slicker after Rastaman Vibration, of sorts.

My first ever Bob listen was in 1976, I was 16, at a friends, and the situation was right, he popped on Rastaman Vibration, and it reeled me in like a fishing rod.

I recommend R.V., Kaya, Survival, Babylon by Bus, LIVE!, Uprising, Catch a Fire for now.

You also gotta get some Toots, Bunny, and Peter Tosh.

Ya mon chillin yo.

Dave

tentoze
04-19-2004, 11:32 AM
You also gotta get some Toots, Bunny, and Peter Tosh.

Ya mon chillin yo.

Dave
Bunny's Protest and Blackheart Man are my personal favorites in the reggae world. Great stuff!

et

dean_martin
04-19-2004, 11:43 AM
I've been listening to Natty Dread a lot lately. Side A just broke into my top 5 all-time favorite album sides. (This list became necessary when, as a result of feeling my age, I became too lazy to get up and move the tonearm or flip a record.) To me, reggae (and jazz) seems to be an appropriate genre for vinyl.

BTW, several years ago I bought my brother a Mobile Fidelity copy of Exodus. He's a Bob Marely fan and a collector of collectables, but he doesn't have a turntable. His Exodus is still sealed. Man, I sure would like to hear it!

Dave_G
04-19-2004, 11:52 AM
I believe Darren's version is MFSL. (well, the cd version)

You can get them if you look around, ebay too.

It is clean and crisp and clear and does the job right.

Man, I wish those guys still were doing up stuff like they used to.

A little love of the music sure goes a long way.

BMW on MFSL vinyl is great, too, I have "Catch a Fire" on MFSL lp but can't play it, plus I am trying to sell my turntable too.

Dave

Dave_G
04-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Bunny's Protest and Blackheart Man are my personal favorites in the reggae world. Great stuff!

et

Protest!

Man, I know of no-one besides me who has that one.

I love Bunny - he keeps the flame alive.

Dave

dean_martin
04-19-2004, 12:46 PM
I believe Darren's version is MFSL. (well, the cd version)

You can get them if you look around, ebay too.

It is clean and crisp and clear and does the job right.

Man, I wish those guys still were doing up stuff like they used to.

A little love of the music sure goes a long way.

BMW on MFSL vinyl is great, too, I have "Catch a Fire" on MFSL lp but can't play it, plus I am trying to sell my turntable too.

Dave
Hey Dave,
My copy of Natty Dread is a Speakers Corner pressing that sounds excellent. This is my only pressing from them, but I've been very impressed with the sound quality.

What kinda turntable ya got and is your vinyl collection going too?

I got into MFSL close to the end and picked up Nirvana's "Nevermind", Sonic Youth's "Goo" and REM's "Murmur" on vinyl and Velvet Underground & Nico on cd. Even though these albums didn't strive for perfect sound, the MFSL versions are better balanced (particularly Murmur - more bass than the orginal) and retrieve more information - the differences in the VU versions are pretty extreme. The MFSL "Goo", however, seems to be recorded at very low levels - I have to crank the volume on this one. I wish I had gotten me a copy of Exodus when I got my brother's.

Davey
04-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah, Bob Marley has an amazing collection of albums. I'm kinda like Stone in that I tend toward the earlier stuff, especially Natty Dread and Catch a Fire and the live one tentoze mentioned. Of course, the Legend collection became a milestone even though it ignores a few of his albums. Not any better collection when you just want a fun dose of Marley. But I have all those on vinyl and last year wanted to get something on CD so checked around and found the 1999 Songs of Freedom box set for under $30 used so picked that up. It's 4 CDs with something like 80 songs and goes way back to the beginning with his first single. Original versions and live versions and unreleased stuff and alternate versions. Worked out just right for me and I love it. Still haven't really digested it all yet, which I guess is usually the problem with box sets. Might be blasphemous to say, but it's really just about all I need nowadays :)

-Jar-
04-19-2004, 01:19 PM
If you like the (relatively) slick production of Exodus, I'd probably go with Rastaman Vibration next. However, I like the earlier stuff better. I highly recommend Catch a Fire, but it's different from Exodus in production and attitude. If you want even rougher, go with African Herbsman.

As far as I'm concerned, the proper albums are all at least really good. However, I'd get Survival and Confrontation last (and as a general rule, stay away from the non-Tuff Gong, non-Trojan stuff).

For what it's worth, here are my top ten Marley albums (today):

1. Catch a Fire
2. African Herbsman
3. Burnin'
4. Natty Dread
5. Soul Rebels
6. Uprising
7. Rastaman Vibration
8. Exodus
9. Live!
10. Kaya

Stone

It's funny, in all my years of reggae listening, I pretty much never ventured beyond LEGEND as far as Bob's music goes. I bought CATCH A FIRE a few years ago, and have other tracks of his spread across various mixes, but I dunno, I guess I was always interested in picking up something else.. I have.. Steel Pulse, Yellowman, Horace Andy, Gregory Isaacs, Dennis Brown, Black Uhuru, Aswad, lots of King Tubby, Sly & Robbie, Mad Professor, Lee Scratch Perry, Upsetters, lots of compilation cds.. As much as I fell in love with reggae through LEGEND, I was always more curious about other reggae artists. Plus, I love dub, ya'll know that. I know there's still lots of treasures in the non-LEGEND material, but there's always that Mighty Diamonds or Culture album I don't have... :-)

-jar

oh.. and Stone, nice avatar there. Pretty sneaky! I've been jammin' some spiels with the D. Boon and the guys in the car the past few days.. very loud!

newtrix1
04-19-2004, 01:36 PM
I also love Legend , so I recently picked up the sequel Natural Mystic with high expectations. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near as consistant as Legend IMO. There's a few choice songs on it, but overall I'd have to say I was disappointed. :(

Stone
04-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Steel Pulse, Yellowman, Horace Andy, Gregory Isaacs, Dennis Brown, Black Uhuru, Aswad, lots of King Tubby, Sly & Robbie, Mad Professor, Lee Scratch Perry, Upsetters, lots of compilation cds..

Those are some great artists, especially the Lee Perry/Upsetters stuff. However I can't get into Steel Pulse, as I posted about in one of the Tuesday threads. I have Babylon the Bandit and Earth Crisis and neither one does much for me. Is there anything by these guys that's different enough that I might like it? Have you heard the Congos' first album? Great stuff from the mid-70s. If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend it.

oh.. and Stone, nice avatar there. Pretty sneaky! I've been jammin' some spiels with the D. Boon and the guys in the car the past few days.. very loud!

Thanks. Maybe I'll break out Double Nickels tonight. Looks like you may have a new day rising.