I pulled the trigger! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I pulled the trigger!

RoyY51
10-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Three days ago I took possession of an Oppo BDP-83 that I won on ebay. For those of you who are aware of my frugal nature (a $4200 amplifier or I'm in the wrong hobby? Are you nuts?), and Home Depot budget, you will understand that I did not make this purchase on a whim...I've been researching it for quite a while. I considered the later models, but it seems that the 83 was the last one to feature a dedicated stereo output at the $500 price point. And, since the unit has to pull double-duty as a cd player, this seemed the logical choice. I started out listening to red-book cd's, with the intention of moving on to dvd's, then blu-rays.

After 3 days, I'm still listening to red-book cd's.

I can't tear myself away. What I'm hearing so far surpasses my dearly departed Nad C-542 that I am in shock. My Nad cost me $399 (retail) and ONLY played music disks. It was favorably reviewed in several publications and was considered a very good mid-level player. How in the world can Oppo put better sounding audio circuitry in a unit that also delivers world-class presentation of dvd's and blu-rays...and only charge $100 more? I just can't fathom it.

If and when I finally move on to video, I'll update. Until then, I will revel in the realization that these old ears aren't dead yet...and the realization that there are treasures still to be found!

Feanor
10-22-2012, 06:01 AM
Three days ago I took possession of an Oppo BDP-83 that I won on ebay. For those of you who are aware of my frugal nature (a $4200 amplifier or I'm in the wrong hobby? Are you nuts?), and Home Depot budget, you will understand that I did not make this purchase on a whim...I've been researching it for quite a while. I considered the later models, but it seems that the 83 was the last one to feature a dedicated stereo output at the $500 price point. And, since the unit has to pull double-duty as a cd player, this seemed the logical choice. I started out listening to red-book cd's, with the intention of moving on to dvd's, then blu-rays.

After 3 days, I'm still listening to red-book cd's.

I can't tear myself away. What I'm hearing so far surpasses my dearly departed Nad C-542 that I am in shock. My Nad cost me $399 (retail) and ONLY played music disks. It was favorably reviewed in several publications and was considered a very good mid-level player. How in the world can Oppo put better sounding audio circuitry in a unit that also delivers world-class presentation of dvd's and blu-rays...and only charge $100 more? I just can't fathom it.

If and when I finally move on to video, I'll update. Until then, I will revel in the realization that these old ears aren't dead yet...and the realization that there are treasures still to be found!
Sounds like you're on to something; good luck with it.

I've always been hesitant about buy electro-mechanical stuff 2nd hand, but I might have a look. I'd really like a better SACD player than my old Sony.

JoeE SP9
10-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Unless I'm mistaken $500 is the list price for a new BDP-83.

Hyfi
10-22-2012, 07:23 AM
curious as to what you paid for the 83. I recently got a 2nd 93 refurb for $418 and am told that with or without the dedicated 2ch out, the results are the same.

I also don't think that the SQ of the OPPO for CD playback is as good as my Rotel for HDCD and regular disks but still pretty goo for a Universal player.

I have used both of my 93s mostly for network streaming or Pandora and DVDs but have not played too many Blu disks. The ones I did were really nice pq and sq.

Hyfi
10-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Unless I'm mistaken $500 is the list price for a new BDP-83.

83s are long gone a few years, 93s are no more and now it is a 103 or 105 and again the 103 is $500. There were never any price breaks until the refurbs at the end.

RoyY51
10-22-2012, 07:50 AM
curious as to what you paid for the 83. I recently got a 2nd 93 refurb for $418 and am told that with or without the dedicated 2ch out, the results are the same.

I also don't think that the SQ of the OPPO for CD playback is as good as my Rotel for HDCD and regular disks but still pretty goo for a Universal player.

I have used both of my 93s mostly for network streaming or Pandora and DVDs but have not played too many Blu disks. The ones I did were really nice pq and sq.

I paid $351 for the 83...what did you pay for your Rotel?

Hyfi
10-22-2012, 07:59 AM
I paid $351 for the 83...what did you pay for your Rotel?

$600 about 10 years ago. Shame you didn't snag a refurb 93 for $418 before they were gone.

Good to know there is a great resale value on these units.

RoyY51
10-22-2012, 04:47 PM
$600 about 10 years ago. Shame you didn't snag a refurb 93 for $418 before they were gone.

Good to know there is a great resale value on these units.

No shame at all...I got exactly the unit I wanted, and at a fair price. Plus, the seller works 5 minutes away from me, so I was able to pick it up, save the shipping costs and get right to listening!

RoyY51
10-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Sounds like you're on to something; good luck with it.

I've always been hesitant about buy electro-mechanical stuff 2nd hand, but I might have a look. I'd really like a better SACD player than my old Sony.

I, too, had reservations about buying used but the more I read about Oppo's legendary customer service, the better I felt about it.