Oops I did it again... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oops I did it again...

JohnMichael
10-20-2012, 04:46 PM
...and I am having fun.

I became interested in a speaker. A speaker of a type in the past I would not consider. An inexpensive speaker that does not detract from my dream speaker budget. This speaker received 5 stars in What Hi-Fi. They described it as fun sounding yet refined and I have been in need of fun. I purchased the JBL Studio 530 stand mount speaker.

This is my first speaker with a horn loaded tweeter. The tweeter is crossed over to the mid/woofer at 1,500 Hz and the mid/woofer is 5 1/4 inches. The speaker is not a high efficiency design as it is rated at 86 db. The enclosure is slightly over 18 inches tall and about 8 1/2 inches wide and 9 inches deep. The cabinet is made from 3/4 inch mdf. There are no parallel sides but the sides are not curved. The speaker is bi-wireable which I am happy about so I can use my best cables. Due to the height of the speakers they look better on my 22 inch stands.

My initial response to the speakers is Wow. There is nothing to the sound that has bothered me about horn loaded tweeters in the past. Sweet and detailed and combined with the mid/woofer great imaging. I know horns can control dispersion and in my small room the lack of reflections adds clarity. As good as I thought the OML1's image the JBL's are better. The detail and layering are very good. Bass sounds as extended as the OML1's but not as deep as the MA RS6's. The JBL's bass is good and quick with a little more snap than the OML1's. The Studio 530 has good instrumental textures.

I have found a fun and musical speaker at a budget price. I will write more as I listen to the speakers. I am impressed by what $600 will buy with modern speaker design.

Feanor
10-21-2012, 04:07 AM
They look like an interesting option. I'll look forward to your further impressions.

JohnMichael
10-21-2012, 05:45 AM
If you like the violin you would like these speakers. I have a cd of violin and piano where both instruments sound natural. The naturalness of the sound makes it easier to hear the music but also follow each instrument. The better focus and imaging creates more space and air between the instruments.

JBL suggests that the speakers be placed further apart and toed in more than I have done in the past. I must say it works. More complicated music holds up as well as small scale performances. The soundstage sounds larger but still has air and space around individual instruments.

I like the looks of the speaker with the speaker grills in place. Sadly it is not very transparent but JBL provides a solution. The top of the speaker grill is solid to complete the tweeter horn. Removing the grill would change the dispersion of the horn but a supplied solid panel can be used to complete the horn leaving the mid/woofer exposed. Even though the speaker is more attractive with the full grill the sound is better with the half grill.

Feanor
10-21-2012, 08:28 AM
If you like the violin you would like these speakers. I have a cd of violin and piano where both instruments sound natural. The naturalness of the sound makes it easier to hear the music but also follow each instrument. The better focus and imaging creates more space and air between the instruments.

JBL suggests that the speakers be placed further apart and toed in more than I have done in the past. I must say it works. More complicated music holds up as well as small scale performances. The soundstage sounds larger but still has air and space around individual instruments.

I like the looks of the speaker with the speaker grills in place. Sadly it is not very transparent but JBL provides a solution. The top of the speaker grill is solid to complete the tweeter horn. Removing the grill would change the dispersion of the horn but a supplied solid panel can be used to complete the horn leaving the mid/woofer exposed. Even though the speaker is more attractive with the full grill the sound is better with the half grill.
Presumably they will sound best with the horn exposed. Given the type of music I listen to that includes large orchestra and choral, I wouldn't accept anything less than maximum transparency.

I think it's correct to say that control-directionality speakers are generally intended to be aimed right at the listening position. As you mentioned, this also reduces first reflections which is something that always improves sound.

I think they are attractive with the horn exposed but no doubt some will object, (e.g. those with spouses who aren't sound enthusiasts).

JohnMichael
10-21-2012, 08:49 AM
The horn is never covered. The grill that conceals the mid/woofer is what caused a lack of transparency. The grill is on in the pictures. If you look closely you may be able to see the top of the grill is also the bottom of the horn. If you do not want the grill covering the mid/woofer you need to complete the horn using a half panel to maintain the geometry of the horn. It fits from the below the compression driver to above the mid/woofer. The mid/woofer is recessed in a shallow horn and I am curious if this time aligns the drivers?

JoeE SP9
10-21-2012, 02:19 PM
I can't see the pictures. What's up with that?

JohnMichael
10-21-2012, 02:53 PM
I can't see the pictures. What's up with that?

I can only see them on my iPhone.

JoeE SP9
10-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Huh! I don't understand what you mean.

JohnMichael
10-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Huh! I don't understand what you mean.

I am unable to see the pictures on my computer but when I use my smart phone and go to AR I can see the pictures.

Hyfi
10-22-2012, 08:29 AM
I see them using firefox, must be a smart fox

JohnMichael
10-25-2012, 04:30 PM
The amazing clarity of the Studio 530 is still amazing clarity and has not become brightness. The speakers are incredible with well recorded jazz. Large choral ensembles are wonderful to hear. I am still impressed by the sound of well recorded piano and violin.

Attack and decay sounds correct. Bass is beginning to open up nicely. That little woofer is working hard but the sound is well balanced. The enclosure is large for a driver that size and the low efficiency creates for better bass than one might expect.

For many this speaker would be an ear opener. A great speaker for $600 a pair that many could afford. A good speaker for someone who previously did not like horn loaded drivers. I doubt they will be going back. Are they perfect? Of course not but damned enjoyable in a small room with most types of music

Jack in Wilmington
10-25-2012, 04:51 PM
I guess my question is, How much will the $600 that you put out for these speakers delay you in getting your perfect pair of speakers? We all know you JM and how changable you are when it comes to speakers. Personally I would buy a nice tube integrated and hook it up to your existing speakers and I think there is more than a fair chance that you would love the sound more than what you're hearing from the JBL's.

JohnMichael
10-26-2012, 03:39 AM
I guess my question is, How much will the $600 that you put out for these speakers delay you in getting your perfect pair of speakers? We all know you JM and how changable you are when it comes to speakers. Personally I would buy a nice tube integrated and hook it up to your existing speakers and I think there is more than a fair chance that you would love the sound more than what you're hearing from the JBL's.

$600 spent is not a delay and I do have the option of sending them back. Having time to shop and travel to other cities to hear speakers multiple times is the delay. Spending $600 on a speaker because of a review is much easier than parting with $2,500 for a speaker I was only able to hear briefly. The JBL's are merely a listening experiment on a type of speaker I had never considered. At the $600 price point I also have thought about picking up a pair of small Maggies. I have not heard a planar speaker in too long a time.

As far as amps I am sticking with the Krell. I enjoy it's neutrality and lack of noise. I obsess enough over cables, speakers, tweaks and when you throw tubes into the mix I would not have time to listen to music.

Seriously I am tweaking much less these days since the Planar 2 has the new motor and speed control. The new Rocket 44 speaker cables are damn good cables and the best soundwise I have owned. I do find it interesting that I am enjoying a $600 pair of speakers wired with $400 speaker cables and driven by a $2,500 integrated amp.

Jack in Wilmington
10-26-2012, 05:24 AM
$600 spent is not a delay and I do have the option of sending them back. Having time to shop and travel to other cities to hear speakers multiple times is the delay. Spending $600 on a speaker because of a review is much easier than parting with $2,500 for a speaker I was only able to hear briefly. The JBL's are merely a listening experiment on a type of speaker I had never considered. At the $600 price point I also have thought about picking up a pair of small Maggies. I have not heard a planar speaker in too long a time.

As far as amps I am sticking with the Krell. I enjoy it's neutrality and lack of noise. I obsess enough over cables, speakers, tweaks and when you throw tubes into the mix I would not have time to listen to music.

Seriously I am tweaking much less these days since the Planar 2 has the new motor and speed control. The new Rocket 44 speaker cables are damn good cables and the best soundwise I have owned. I do find it interesting that I am enjoying a $600 pair of speakers wired with $400 speaker cables and driven by a $2,500 integrated amp.

I wasn't suggesting replacing the Krell, I just thought by adding tubes to the mix you would give the OML1's and the RS6's a different sound that you might really find appealing. It would also be something that you could use down the road when you find your ultimate speaker.

JohnMichael
10-26-2012, 09:35 AM
I am not sure how I could work tubes into my system since I am happy with everything in my system. I am listening to Lucinda Williams' "Blessed" cd and her voice is centered and focused in the soundstage. The horns really deliver the sounds of electric guitar as well as organ and keyboards. Lucinda is now singing softly with background singers and the band continued to play at the same level but her voice was never lost in the mix. Love the clarity.

The JBL Studio 530's offer a lot of performance for $600. Will they please long term? Well I guess we will have to wait and see. In the Studio 5 series there are towers with multiple bass drivers and the same great horn

I am feeling a little SVI with more expensive speakers in the closet and I am listening to some inexpensive JBL.

JohnMichael
10-27-2012, 12:49 PM
I have always had trouble listening to the Hot Club Of Detroit's "night town". It always sounded like a bunch of musicians but not music. I thought here was a good test for the Stuido 530's so I dropped it into the player. Now I was hearing them make music. For the first time I was moving with the music. Yo Yo Ma's "Soul of the Tango" also has come to life. I think the side wall reflections were interfering with the timing of some music.

I had another thought as to why this inexpensive speaker might be sounding as good as it does. Correct me if I am wrong. The speakers efficiency is 86db and I always thought horn loaded drivers were very efficient. Of course in this case I am sure output was reduced by the crossover to match the woofer. My thinking is that the compression driver is working below what it is capable of and therefore the highs are so clean and clear. I would think the driver would be making much smaller excursions and therfore more clean accurate sound.

TheHills44060
10-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Not my cup of tea bit just goes to show you never know what the ear will perk up to. Glad you are lovin the JBL's JM.

JohnMichael
10-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Not my cup of tea bit just goes to show you never know what the ear will perk up to. Glad you are lovin the JBL's JM.

Yes I never thought I would be saying I am enjoying a horn loaded pair of JBL's. When I first saw them I liked the looks. Then I read the What Hi-Fi review and they received 5 stars. I thought wow they like a JBL and a horn loaded one at that. Between the looks and some specs I found interesting I ordered a pair. They are a fun listen that seems to be growing on me. Bass is surprisingly good for a 5 1/4 inch mid/woofer. This is a very good $600 speaker.

JohnMichael
10-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Today the Studio 530's are amazing me with solo piano works.

JohnMichael
10-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Here is a video I watched on Youtube after reading a review on another site.

The New JBL Studio 5 Loudspeakers. Advanced Technology with Classic JBL Sound - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DLlj23QiYw)

harley .guy07
11-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I would not mind hearing a pair of the floorstanding models, I have used JBL pro sound speakers for DJ and sound reinforcement over the years but have only heard a hand full of their home speakers and have only liked a couple of them. To me their home speakers were always on the bright side but any company can change for the better when they come out with new products and their are horn speakers out there that do sound good.

JohnMichael
11-05-2012, 04:16 PM
The Studio 530's are not bright but they are very coherent. I am so impressed by the high frequency detail. Detail and extension without brightness is a wonderful thing. I am also impressed with the overall balance between of the speakers. As good as the highs are the low frequencies from the small woofer are impressive. In my room they do a nice job with detail in the bass.

The bass in Rickie Lee Jones "Showbiz Kids" is very detailed, textured and fast. Vocals are incredible especially harmonies. This speaker in my room is better than the MoFi OML1's and MA RS6's. No they do not have as much bass as the RS6's but they integrate easier in my room.

If I had a bigger room I would send them back and buy the towers. Years ago I sold JBL, Bose and AR and I always preferred AR. I am surprised by how much I am liking a JBL and a horn loaded one. This is not the horn I would avoid like the plague.

JohnMichael
11-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Tonight I am listening to Orff's "Carmina Burana" and I am impressed. The chorus and choir along with the soloists are filling the room with their voices. When they sing softly their voices are as clear and easy to follow as when they are singing full out. The interplay among voices and orchestra is never lost. My other speakers would become congested and confused. Or once again I wonder if it was early sidewall reflections that robbed the other speakers of this level of clarity.

At this point I can not imagine sending these speakers back.

JohnMichael
11-10-2012, 08:49 AM
I am working but I would rather be home listening to music. I have been listening to a lot of music that I own but did not enjoy. The timing and clarity of the Studio 530's are allowing me to enjoy music I had not before. Tonight I am going to give Bela Bartok another try. I am pleased with the ability to explore and appreciate music I had not appreciated before.

JohnMichael
11-10-2012, 09:58 AM
I also have to say that in my room the Studio 530's image and have a better soundstage than my RS6's or OML1's.

Mr Peabody
11-10-2012, 10:38 AM
JM speaks the truth and keep trusting your ears. What JBL is doing with horn loaded speakers is a game changer, if they had the distribution Klipsch would be in trouble, except for the efficiency thing. I heard the LS series with different electronics than the Studio, I like the LS a bit more but not sure if it was the speakers or electronics. I was not a JBL fan until hearing these speakers mentioned, and in addition, the Array. The horns JBl are using are the real deal, smooth and refined nothing like we used to think of horns. And, as JM mentioned these are a steal at the price per performance ratio. I haven't heard the 530's but have heard the floorstander with two 6" drivers.

JohnMichael
11-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Mr. P yes they are far different from horns of the past. I was surprised by What Hi-Fi giving an American designed speaker, let alone a JBL with a horn loaded tweeter. I just had to try a pair. I am so glad I did.

In my small room the bass is balanced but I do think of sending them back for the towers. Of course I do remember the trouble making the RS6's work in the room. I also think some of the great detail is due to the small mid/woofer. I am sure that cone of the 5 1/4 inch woofer is very low in mass and quick. In some aspects the bass sounds better because I do not think I am having any room interference.

I never thought a $600 pair of speakers wired with $400 speaker wires to a $2,500 int. amp could sound incredible. Between the design of the speakers and they being a good match to my room is making some beautiful music.

JohnMichael
11-11-2012, 07:36 AM
One aspect of the speakers that I have failed to mention is that they are good with both attack and decay. They are a nice mid point between the OML1's and RS6's.

JohnMichael
11-14-2012, 06:51 AM
I was listening to an sacd of Joshua Bell last night. As I was listening the sound of his violin the sound was so natural. Other violinists fared as well. I hear the violin as it is being played rather warm and resonant, sweet and delicate or aggressive depending on the music. The Studio 530's never make the violin sound strident unlike the metal dome tweeter in the RS6's.

I am enjoying all my music with these speakers. I just need more time to listen to them. I am confident they are broken in now and sounding very good. What a great budget speaker for a small room. Actually a good speaker regardless of budget.

thekid
11-18-2012, 05:01 AM
Just getting caught back up on some threads now that this site's new look has got my attention, so sorry JM for the late response.

Those speakers look awesome!

I know JBL does not always get the respect of the audiophile community but they have had some good speakers in there line-ups through the years and it sounds like you found a pair. Congrats again!

JohnMichael
11-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Just getting caught back up on some threads now that this site's new look has got my attention, so sorry JM for the late response.

Those speakers look awesome!

I know JBL does not always get the respect of the audiophile community but they have had some good speakers in there line-ups through the years and it sounds like you found a pair. Congrats again!

Thanks the speakers sound better than they look. I am not sure what aspect of the design makes them so succesful in my room but something is working well.

JohnMichael
11-21-2012, 11:33 AM
As impressed as I am by the Studio 530's when I purchased them for $599 a pair I am even happier that they are now selling for $479 a pair. I am also pleased with Crutchfield who is crediting my account for $120. These are absolutely killer speakers for $479 a pair. The tower models have also been reduced in price.

frenchmon
11-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Congrats on the new speakers...especially when they send you money back.

JohnMichael
11-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Congrats on the new speakers...especially when they send you money back.

I ordered them out of curiosity and never expected to like them so much. Now I need to sell the Monitor Audio RS6's and the Mobile Fidelity OML1's. They work so well in my room and give me all that I was looking for in a pair of speakers.

I budgeted $2,500 for a pair of speakers but now have no interest in shopping since I would rather be home listening. They do not do loud or very low well but in the range I listen they are just right. The RS6's could easily drown out the neighbors by playing the Black Eyed Peas and the Studio 530's are heard but they compress and will not shake the walls. Oh but they do music so well.

frenchmon
11-27-2012, 08:27 AM
as long as you are happy.

JohnMichael
11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Yes I am very happy with the Studio 530's. I was listening to Beethoven's 9th and it sounded so good. That little 5 1/4 driver is pretty amazing. Of course this is my first speaker with no parallel surfaces with the top angled down and the sides angle in towards the back of the enclosure. The cabinets use 3/4 inch thick mdf and bracing but sadly no real wood veneer. I guess they had to reduce costs somewhere.

I will still shop for speakers when time permits

JohnMichael
12-15-2012, 07:17 PM
I began to notice that the 530's could use a little more sparkle. Using the Micropurls the upper range was a little dry. I pulled out the DNM Reson IC's and hooked them up. All the benefits of the speakers I had posted with more open high frequencies were on hand.

The Resons were okay with the Mobile Fidelity OML1's but not good with the RS6's. They seem to be a good match with the JBL's. Back to a night of Dwight Yoakam Live.

Mr Peabody
12-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Wow, JM, I would have never guessed you a Dwight fan. I guess we all have to deal with our inner honky tonk man occasionally :).

JohnMichael
12-16-2012, 08:51 PM
I enjoy a little twang and early country music. I have attended many Blue Grass festivals in my day. Growing up I watched Hee Haw and the Grand Ole Opry. I loved Minnie Pearl and the tag hanging from her hat. Of course I watched Lawrence Welk, Andy Williams, Jackie Gleeson and any show with music or dancing. Oh and the Porter Wagoner show with Dolly Parton. As I grew older there was the Ed Sullivan show. The Beatles, Janis Joplin and many others. If a show had music I watched it.

JohnMichael
12-16-2012, 09:21 PM
I am glad I tried the DNM Reson IC's to connect the SA 8001 to the Krell S-300i. The slight increase in treble openess kicks the performance up a notch. Oh and one thing the speakers have returned to their higher price.

Tonight I am listening to Bernstein: The Best Of All Possible Worlds. This is a cd I did not enjoy when it first arrived but with the Studio 530's I am enjoying the music. Bernstein's conducting Copland's "Fanfare For The Common Man" is incredible. I must say the Studio series does a fine job of making sense out of the music

JohnMichael
12-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Well the switch to the DNM Reson's was not an improvement after all. Yes it gave more extension in the highs but what it gave to the highs it took from the lows. The Studio 530's make it easier to decide which cable is better.

Not only was the sound tilted up male vocals were sounding thin. The Micropurls are a much better match in my system. Now the overall balance is more to my liking.

I am still enjoying these speakers. I am listening to a wider range of genres and listening more often. One of the traits that first impressed me was the solid imaging and it is still the best imaging I have had in my room.

Mr Peabody
12-18-2012, 06:47 PM
JM, do you still have your Anticables? If so, you should give them a try. I went with AC's Reference line and I love them, I prefer them over my Siltech or some very expensive Clarus I've tried.

frenchmon
12-19-2012, 05:18 AM
I enjoy a little twang and early country music. I have attended many Blue Grass festivals in my day. Growing up I watched Hee Haw and the Grand Ole Opry. I loved Minnie Pearl and the tag hanging from her hat. Of course I watched Lawrence Welk, Andy Williams, Jackie Gleeson and any show with music or dancing. Oh and the Porter Wagoner show with Dolly Parton. As I grew older there was the Ed Sullivan show. The Beatles, Janis Joplin and many others. If a show had music I watched it.

Dang JM...how old are you??? In your 60's?

frenchmon
12-19-2012, 05:26 AM
Well the switch to the DNM Reson's was not an improvement after all. Yes it gave more extension in the highs but what it gave to the highs it took from the lows. The Studio 530's make it easier to decide which cable is better.

Not only was the sound tilted up male vocals were sounding thin. The Micropurls are a much better match in my system. Now the overall balance is more to my liking.

I am still enjoying these speakers. I am listening to a wider range of genres and listening more often. One of the traits that first impressed me was the solid imaging and it is still the best imaging I have had in my room.

JM....my dealer has the JBL Studio 570's. He is running them with in a system with the new Onkyo Reference separates, and using all Clarus cables...and the system sounds fantastic, He let me borrow the a set of Clarus Aqua inner connects and the power cord. These are fantastic cables.....you may want to look into them. Clarus Audophile Collection Introduction (http://www.claruscable.com/intro.html)

Also JM...on another note....I was suppose to let you borrow that Grado Phono amp, but it malfunctioned on me and damaged my tweeters. Lucky the folks at Canton replaced the tweeter free of charge and sent me new ones from Germany.....and my dealer let me return the Grado and he gave me the new Creek OBH 15 MK 2. Its been out less than a year and I pick it up Thursday....man the ceramic tweeters in the Cantons are very clear....Me and Peabody had a nice listen to them last Sunday....we also listened to the Monitor Audio GX 100's GX 300's JBL Studio 570's and Revel Salon 2's....and the thought of the Cantons being out of place with the Revels never crossed my mind at all.....great stand mount speaker.....Makes me wonder what the Floor model Canton Vento 870's can do.....That may very well be my next speaker down the road.

JohnMichael
12-19-2012, 06:00 AM
JM, do you still have your Anticables? If so, you should give them a try. I went with AC's Reference line and I love them, I prefer them over my Siltech or some very expensive Clarus I've tried.

I do still have the AC's and you are right they are good and I do need to try them with the JBL's.

JohnMichael
12-19-2012, 06:26 AM
Dang JM...how old are you??? In your 60's?

Hope to be one day. I am 56 but liked music from an early age. My father would sing "You Are My Sunshine". Another early song went "I'm looking over a four leaf clover that I overlooked before". An early love of music along with an early realization that I have no talent.

JohnMichael
12-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Frenchmon I would like to hear the Studio 570's. I do find the balance of the 530's to be great in my room. The 570's might earn me more complaints from the college princesses who live below.

This morning I was listening to Yo Yo Ma's "Soul Of The Tango". What achingly beautiful music. What a good recording. Last night I listened to the musical "In The Heights" which is a favorite but the JBL's do not let me forget it is not the best recording. None of my music is unlistenable but you are aware of compromises.

Sorry the Grado did not work out long term but I will enjoy reading about the Creek. The cables look interesting. I will read more when I am in front of my computer. I will not be buying anything new until next year since my dog thought I needed a new watch for Christmas and he borrowed the money from me. He is so thoughtful.

JM....my dealer has the JBL Studio 570's. He is running them with in a system with the new Onkyo Reference separates, and using all Clarus cables...and the system sounds fantastic, He let me borrow the a set of Clarus Aqua inner connects and the power cord. These are fantastic cables.....you may want to look into them. Clarus Audophile Collection Introduction (http://www.claruscable.com/intro.html)

Also JM...on another note....I was suppose to let you borrow that Grado Phono amp, but it malfunctioned on me and damaged my tweeters. Lucky the folks at Canton replaced the tweeter free of charge and sent me new ones from Germany.....and my dealer let me return the Grado and he gave me the new Creek OBH 15 MK 2. Its been out less than a year and I pick it up Thursday....man the ceramic tweeters in the Cantons are very clear....Me and Peabody had a nice listen to them last Sunday....we also listened to the Monitor Audio GX 100's GX 300's JBL Studio 570's and Revel Salon 2's....and the thought of the Cantons being out of place with the Revels never crossed my mind at all.....great stand mount speaker.....Makes me wonder what the Floor model Canton Vento 870's can do.....That may very well be my next speaker down the road.

Mr Peabody
12-19-2012, 04:11 PM
LOL, let's hope the dog has good taste.

JohnMichael
12-19-2012, 04:40 PM
LOL, let's hope the dog has good taste.

He did an excellent job shopping.

frenchmon
12-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Dang JM! Thats a very nice watch! Think you pet can send me one? Thanks for mentioning th eYo Yo Ma CD...I will have to get that one.

JohnMichael
12-24-2012, 07:14 AM

Mr. Peabody I now have the AntiCables in place. Since I am bi-wiring that extra copper over the Rockets bi-wire is filling out the low end. I like them better with the JBL's than I did with the RS6's. I am looking forward to more music and how they fair in the long term. I have always liked them and thought they were great value for the money.

JohnMichael
12-24-2012, 04:24 PM
I had not listened to "Adagio d'Albinoni" in a few weeks so I thought I would check it out. The Studio 530's wired with the AntiCables in bi-wire configuration and driven by the Krell S-300i was a surprise. The recording sounded good previously with other cables but the organ was a little recessed. The double bass produced by the 5.25 inch mid/woofer was more like the cello. The AntiCables moved the organ forward in the mix and I was now hearing the double bass. What a beautiful recording. I am now getting my $50 worth of entertainement from the recording. It is interesting which combination of equipment will move the bar up higher.

Mr Peabody
12-24-2012, 08:12 PM
It is, interesting how different gear and cables seem to have synergy, or not. For me, once I got used to the clarity of the AC's I am not happy with other cables any more.

Thriftstore Cowboy
02-17-2013, 03:32 PM
JM, I just wanted to say that in part because of your reviews, and in part because I too noticed the unusual design choices made by Mister Greg Timbers when these came out... I just took delivery of my 530's on Friday. My system is hugely more modest than yours, but I like it and its within my budget. I had budgeted $1000 for new speakers in my 2 channel system. For the last several months I looked at every conceivable option and although there are plenty of amazing speakers in this price range, none of them peaked my interest like these.

At any rate, thank you for providing a first hand account of an enthusiast who dared to be an early adopter. In the past JBL has done just as much to hurt their home audio reputation (see previous studio series and everything they put out in the 90s) as they have done in ultra-high end audio (Array, K2, some other mountain in Nepal). It took someone not concerned with JBL's "Just Basically Loud" reputation to have the guts to check out something that contradicts conventional opinions. Kudos!

JohnMichael
02-17-2013, 07:47 PM
JM, I just wanted to say that in part because of your reviews, and in part because I too noticed the unusual design choices made by Mister Greg Timbers when these came out... I just took delivery of my 530's on Friday. My system is hugely more modest than yours, but I like it and its within my budget. I had budgeted $1000 for new speakers in my 2 channel system. For the last several months I looked at every conceivable option and although there are plenty of amazing speakers in this price range, none of them peaked my interest like these.

At any rate, thank you for providing a first hand account of an enthusiast who dared to be an early adopter. In the past JBL has done just as much to hurt their home audio reputation (see previous studio series and everything they put out in the 90s) as they have done in ultra-high end audio (Array, K2, some other mountain in Nepal). It took someone not concerned with JBL's "Just Basically Loud" reputation to have the guts to check out something that contradicts conventional opinions. Kudos!

I am glad you are enjoying them as much as I am. Lately I was switching my other speakers in and out of the system. They all had their benefits but for midrange purity, high frequency detail and the most tuneful bass if not the deepest the JBL's win. My tower speakers had deeper bass and greater musical scale and the other standmount speakers had a warmer sound that could limit detail. The JBL's might be a little lacking in dynamics but whenever the midrange is right you have music.

Oh and welcome to AR.

Thriftstore Cowboy
02-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Thank you! And you're right, there are lots of options for making great sounding, highly entertaining music in the home, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Have fun enjoying the tunes!

filecat13
02-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Lucky me, I got to go to Greg Timbers' house a couple of times, the last time to buy some speakers he built for himself that have been replaced by the next big thing. He let me listen to his new creations, which were astounding and better than what I bought, naturally, though what I got is better than anything I could buy out of the current JBL catalog.

Anyway, leaving his place there were some "new" speakers in his secondary listening room. When I inquired what they were, he said they were Studio 570s which "sound really good, better than they have any right to." He's rightfully proud of the Studio 530, 570, 580, and 590. He'd be really happy to hear how much you're enjoying them.

Thanks for highlighting your experiences

JohnMichael
02-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Lucky me, I got to go to Greg Timbers' house a couple of times, the last time to buy some speakers he built for himself that have been replaced by the next big thing. He let me listen to his new creations, which were astounding and better than what I bought, naturally, though what I got is better than anything I could buy out of the current JBL catalog.

Anyway, leaving his place there were some "new" speakers in his secondary listening room. When I inquired what they were, he said they were Studio 570s which "sound really good, better than they have any right to." He's rightfully proud of the Studio 530, 570, 580, and 590. He'd be really happy to hear how much you're enjoying them.

Thanks for highlighting your experiences

If you get the chance tell him I said thanks. I have been thinking about the 570's since I think they would work well in my smaller room. If he is impressed with them I am sure I would be pleased. I am thinking the Studio 5 Series will catch fire.

filecat13
03-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Sure will.

JohnMichael
03-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Listening to the Cowboy Junkies "Cause Cheap Is How I Feel" I realized how these speakers have opened up. In the past I had considered the tweeters to be accurate but on the dry side. As I have been listening the compression drivers had been breaking in right in front of me. Either I am a slow listener or these speakers have taken so long to bloom.

They certainly sounded good out of the box but more in an analytical way. They still have good detail and imaging but they are more musical. Gordon Lightfoot is singing now and his songs are soothing and comforting. Detail and soul. I knew I was liking these speakers more but until tonight it had not dawned on me why. Should I be enjoying speakers so much that is this inexpensive?

Jack in Wilmington
03-15-2013, 05:36 AM
John, I'm not sure if you should. We see people come on the forum and talk about their great sounding Infinity, Polk, Bose and the likes and I'm sure most of us just figure that they haven't really heard what a hi-end sound system can do for your music appreciation. In your case, that's not the way it is. You've been around long enough and I'm sure you've heard your share of great sounding systems. I think you may just be settling for what you have and enjoying it, the some way I do when I'm in the car listening to the symphony channel on XM Radio. It sounds good at the time and you just sort of go with it. You might not know what you're missing until you get a different pair of speakers in and set them up next to your JBL's. Just my thoughts.

JohnMichael
03-15-2013, 06:35 AM
I am always speaking in context to price and how they fair with other speakers I own. Oh yes I have heard wonderful speakers and many way out of my price range. There are many speakers I would like to hear that are not available in an hours drive from my home. Another aspect of the speakers is they work well in my room. An average speaker that works well in a room in my opinion can sound better that a top quality tower with good bass that would have peaks and cancellations in my room.

I would love to hear a pair of Magico's, the newer Wilson's and newer Vandersteen's. In my budget I still want to hear the Nola Boxers, KEF LS50 and a Totem model. Oh and the Pro Ac Tablette is on my short list. I also plan on listeneing to the Focal 807's that has been making someone very happy on another site.

Sadly my job keeps me very busy and I rarely have two days off in a row. I do hope to do some listening this summer. If you get a chance give the Studio 5 series a listen as you might be surprised.

Thriftstore Cowboy
03-15-2013, 06:43 AM
First, I think cost is sometimes a bit arbitrary. For the most part in audio, you typically get better performance when you spend more. However, these speakers are more popular in Europe and Japan where they cost nearly twice as much and compete with a different level of speaker than they do here. Personally, I haven't found a speaker under a grand that I enjoy more than these. They create such a rich, full-bodied sound stage and the HF driver sounds refined but with great dynamics that never compresses, even with the most complex musical passages. Plus, they straight up boogie. This morning I was listening to some old Thievery Corporation and it was so involving that I really hated to leave. There are a lot of great speaker options available, but there is no shame in enjoying these special creatures.

JohnMichael
03-15-2013, 07:19 AM
First, I think cost is sometimes a bit arbitrary. For the most part in audio, you typically get better performance when you spend more. However, these speakers are more popular in Europe and Japan where they cost nearly twice as much and compete with a different level of speaker than they do here. Personally, I haven't found a speaker under a grand that I enjoy more than these. They create such a rich, full-bodied sound stage and the HF driver sounds refined but with great dynamics that never compresses, even with the most complex musical passages. Plus, they straight up boogie. This morning I was listening to some old Thievery Corporation and it was so involving that I really hated to leave. There are a lot of great speaker options available, but there is no shame in enjoying these special creatures.

I think much of the affordability of the speaker is due to it being built in China. If it was still made in this country the price tag would be higher. A higher price tag might make some happier.

I agree with your description of the sound. The horn loaded compression driver is pretty special without any of the colorations I have heard from some horns. I was never a big JBL fan but this speaker is a different animal. Someone looking for a pair of speakers in this price range should surely listen to these. As you mention they are enjoyable and I find myself sitting and listening instead of just having background music playing.

When I find a speaker that beats these on many counts I am sure they will be quite expensive.

Jack in Wilmington
03-15-2013, 10:52 AM
I am always speaking in context to price and how they fair with other speakers I own. Oh yes I have heard wonderful speakers and many way out of my price range. There are many speakers I would like to hear that are not available in an hours drive from my home. Another aspect of the speakers is they work well in my room. An average speaker that works well in a room in my opinion can sound better that a top quality tower with good bass that would have peaks and cancellations in my room.

I would love to hear a pair of Magico's, the newer Wilson's and newer Vandersteen's. In my budget I still want to hear the Nola Boxers, KEF LS50 and a Totem model. Oh and the Pro Ac Tablette is on my short list. I also plan on listeneing to the Focal 807's that has been making someone very happy on another site.

Sadly my job keeps me very busy and I rarely have two days off in a row. I do hope to do some listening this summer. If you get a chance give the Studio 5 series a listen as you might be surprised.

The main trouble with the JBL's is the only place that carries them is Best Buy.

JohnMichael
03-15-2013, 01:12 PM
The main trouble with the JBL's is the only place that carries them is Best Buy.

My local BB does not carry them. When I learned of them Crutchfield and JBL was the only place I could order them at the time. I do fully understand how the reputation of a store can elevate or reduce thoughts of a product. At one point I think I felt a little SVI buying some moderately priced JBL's but they are a different animal from all the budget titanium tweeter/quasi horn loaded speakers.

JohnMichael
03-16-2013, 06:18 AM
Last night I decided to pull out the OML 1's to give a quick listen. I have been living with the JBL's and thought a comparison might be needed. A young couple down the hall stopped by and I asked for their impression of the OML 1's. I thought they sounded bright in contrast to the JBL's. They listened and he said they were crisp. So after they left I brought the JBL's out and back on the stands. Oh yeah the music is back.

I can understand why Mo Fi used the OML 1's as mastering speakers. I think they are more high fidelity and the JBL's are more about the music than analysis. My neighbor wants to listen to some vinyl so I will look forward to his reaction to the Studio 530's.

Jack in Wilmington
03-16-2013, 10:11 AM
I would never think the OML-1's would sound bright compared to the 530's. We are talking silk doom tweeter vs titanium tweeter right? You may just prefer the more detailed sound of the metal tweeters. My salesguy at my hifi shop does. He's not crazy about Sonus Faber and Vienna Acoustics that he sells and much prefers Paradigm. I'm running into more people that prefer solid state amps to tubes and I didn't see that coming.

Mr Peabody
03-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Vienna Acoustics is toward the bottom of my speaker list along with Vandersteen. I don't like Sonus Faber either but they are more acceptable, some where around B&W on my list. I like Paradigm pretty well but I haven't heard many amps capable to drive the bass in them, odd since they are efficient but something in their curve requires some current.

The JBL like JM has may be titanium but it's smooth, the horns JBL are using in some of their speakers are some of the best I've heard and definitely the best I've heard in home speakers, very refined. I really liked the LS series too. The Array are awesome but that goes without saying. IMO the JBL Monitor are smoother highs than the Paradigm Studio. Can't say about the Signature, haven't heard them.

JohnMichael
03-16-2013, 10:44 AM
I would never think the OML-1's would sound bright compared to the 530's. We are talking silk doom tweeter vs titanium tweeter right? You may just prefer the more detailed sound of the metal tweeters. My salesguy at my hifi shop does. He's not crazy about Sonus Faber and Vienna Acoustics that he sells and much prefers Paradigm. I'm running into more people that prefer solid state amps to tubes and I didn't see that coming.

The JBL Studio 530's do not use titanium. They are using a true compression driver. My point was that these are not the budget JBL speakers of the past that used the bright titanium driver. This speaker's high frequency driver operates down to 1,500 Hz. The woofer is slightly recessed and judging by performance they are time aligned. The enclosure panels ar 3/4 inches thick with no parallel sides and well braced. The woofer has a cast aluminum frame and not pressed steel. This speaker is not well known yet but it is very good sounding. You might want to google it because I think you are picturing other JBL's of the past.

JohnMichael
03-16-2013, 11:11 AM
The 1 inch diaphragm and surround material is made from Teonex. It is reported to have better vocal articulation and I can attest to that statement.

I would like to thank Mr. P and Thriftstore Cowboy for their comments based on their actually listening to the speakers. Judging a product unheard has little value.

Jack in Wilmington
03-16-2013, 12:50 PM
I was just going by what the salesman at Best Buy said. He said it was a compression driver similar to what is used in Klipsch, which he had to play for me also. Not the best environment to listen to speakers. Neither speaker was to my liking, but that could be attributed to lots of things like associated equipment and room acoustics.

JohnMichael
03-16-2013, 02:02 PM
I was just going by what the salesman at Best Buy said. He said it was a compression driver similar to what is used in Klipsch, which he had to play for me also. Not the best environment to listen to speakers. Neither speaker was to my liking, but that could be attributed to lots of things like associated equipment and room acoustics.

Best Buy does not carry the Studio 5 Series. They also do not sound anything like Klipsch. BB carries one JBL bookshelf that is a different Studio series but not in the league of the Studio 5 series. You might want to try listeneing to them if you ever actually are in a store that carries them.

Jack in Wilmington
03-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Again the Best Buy saleman must have shown me any pair of JBL's that he had on the floor. He figured if I like them I'd buy them. That's the trouble, nobody carries them. The HiFi stores say they can't sell them because they're not hi end. They used to sell Bose a while back and they just didn't move. I don't have a Crutchfield around here. Even the HiFi magazines don't review them.

JohnMichael
03-16-2013, 02:47 PM
What Hi Fi reviewed them and gave them 5 stars. Many products never get reviewed. So you have never heard them or read about them but you are able to disparage them. I think that is what is wrong about audio forums. Baseless opinions.

Jack in Wilmington
03-16-2013, 06:07 PM
I was told I was hearing them and I based my opinion on that. You must lead a charmed life if everybody tells you the truth JM. The first opinion I form about a product is by reading a review if possible. Then I go and listen to the product if possible. I always make sure the product has at least a 30 day return policy as you never know how something will match up with your gear. But one rule of audio I always abide by is that I never spend four times more on my amp then my speakers cost.

JohnMichael
03-16-2013, 06:24 PM
I was told I was hearing them and I based my opinion on that. You must lead a charmed life if everybody tells you the truth JM. The first opinion I form about a product is by reading a review if possible. Then I go and listen to the product if possible. I always make sure the product has at least a 30 day return policy as you never know how something will match up with your gear. But one rule of audio I always abide by is that I never spend four times more on my amp then my speakers cost.

Snap! I already had the amp and I bought the speakers on a whim and they turned out to be quite nice. Oh and since I bought them on sale I want you to know my amp costs 5 times as much. :-)

JohnMichael
03-18-2013, 07:43 AM
I was tweaking placement last night I am pleased with the results. I originally had the speakers wide with more toe-in and now they are 8 inches closer to one another but with slightly less toe-in. I still have that excellent focus that I first noticed when they were new. Now with my braced turntable the soundstage is wider and the new position of the speakers takes greater advantage of the improvement.

Thriftstore Cowboy
03-18-2013, 08:36 AM
I've updated my home theater speakers in my living room to the Wharfedale Diamonds (because hey, they're so affordable) which has made for an interesting, if slightly unfair, comparison to the JBLs. My brother had the best analogy yesterday, he said the Diamonds were like a 37" 720p plasma using the "vivid" calibration settings, where the JBL 530's were like a 72" 1080p professionally calibrated... much bigger image, gobs more detail and much more realistic. We ended up listening to the JBL's for 2 and half hours and totally got lost in the music. So much fun! I enjoy the Wharfedale's for HT and some music, but the JBL's are really in an entirely different league when it comes to refinement.

blackraven
03-18-2013, 09:49 AM
I've updated my home theater speakers in my living room to the Wharfedale Diamonds (because hey, they're so affordable) which has made for an interesting, if slightly unfair, comparison to the JBLs. My brother had the best analogy yesterday, he said the Diamonds were like a 37" 720p plasma using the "vivid" calibration settings, where the JBL 530's were like a 72" 1080p professionally calibrated... much bigger image, gobs more detail and much more realistic. We ended up listening to the JBL's for 2 and half hours and totally got lost in the music. So much fun! I enjoy the Wharfedale's for HT and some music, but the JBL's are really in an entirely different league when it comes to refinement.

Cowboy, why don't you give a review of the Diamonds? Which model are they and are they broken in and what gear are you using with them? I have heard older Wharfedales, 9 series and really liked their sound. The 10.1's and 10.2's are supposed to be a very good speaker. Detailed, warmer sounding and a little laid back in character. I am sure that the JBL's are probably the polar opposite. I would like to hear the JBL's.

And did you compare the JBL's and the Diamonds with the same gear or in different systems?

JohnMichael
03-18-2013, 09:50 AM

They are very resolving and the Studio 530's let me hear more of the benefits of tweaking my turntable.

Thriftstore Cowboy
03-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Cowboy, why don't you give a review of the Diamonds? Which model are they and are they broken in and what gear are you using with them? I have heard older Wharfedales, 9 series and really liked their sound. The 10.1's and 10.2's are supposed to be a very good speaker. Detailed, warmer sounding and a little laid back in character. I am sure that the JBL's are probably the polar opposite. I would like to hear the JBL's.

And did you compare the JBL's and the Diamonds with the same gear or in different systems?
The Diamond 10.1's have been breaking in for about a week (radio all day while im at work) so they still might improve some. We tested both in my 2 channel rig, although on different stands. What I thougt made the comparison interesting is that both speakers have ~5" woofers, 86db/meter sensitive with a nominal impendance of 6ohm. The JBL's however are much bigger.

The Diamonds are slightly warmer which is good because their permenent home, my living room, is fairly bright with wood floors.

The JBL's are certainly more neutral and never bright. They have really impressive tone.

I might do a full review of the Diamonds at some point... but now it's time to listen to some more tunes!

Thriftstore Cowboy
03-18-2013, 04:32 PM
They are very resolving and the Studio 530's let me hear more of the benefits of tweaking my turntable.
And they let me hear the limits of mine! LOL. Actually, once I upgraded the Ortofon stylus on my old Luxman PD 289 I was exceptionally pleased.

blackraven
03-18-2013, 05:27 PM
The 10.2's with the 6.5" woofer would have better bass and a fuller sound than the 10.1's.

Thriftstore Cowboy
03-18-2013, 08:06 PM
The 10.2's with the 6.5" woofer would have better bass and a fuller sound than the 10.1's.
Yeah, I know. I sat in the hifi shop's room a/b'ing those two to death. But in the end I considered the size of room over my ego. The fact is, these diamonds have a noticeable "BBC upper bass bump" at 100 hrz, despite what Stereophile says, and on the 10.2 it could start to muddy things a touch. I figured in my room, better to play it safe.

filecat13
03-27-2013, 08:42 PM
in the end I considered the size of room over my ego.

Congratulations! Most people I know couldn't do that. :)

A couple of times I've gone bigger just because I could, and I've regretted having too much of what I don't need in a room where I don't need it.

As for the JBL Studio 500 Series, each model is surprisingly adaptable to a number of room sizes and placements as long as we're not completely ignorant about it. What's been achieved with that somewhat odd-looking horn and cabinet design is remarkable. Hey look, I just made a remark about it. ;)

JohnMichael
03-29-2013, 06:46 PM
I had the RS6's out to better hear the deep bass with my new turntable tweaks. I really began to miss the 530's. I find when listening to the RS6's that I slowly lose interest in listening to music. The Studio 530's makes music enjoyable again.

Thriftstore Cowboy
03-30-2013, 07:48 AM
I've been binging on viynl lately, something that I blame on the 530s and take no responsibility for, so I needed to head to the old record store last night for some new material. And guess what the owner installed in the viynl room? Two massive looking 590's! Bwahahaha! If you're ever in Denver, head down to Twist and Shout to check them out in action. In all black they look menacing.

Thriftstore Cowboy
03-30-2013, 08:04 AM
I had the RS6's out to better hear the deep bass with my new turntable tweaks. I really began to miss the 530's. I find when listening to the RS6's that I slowly lose interest in listening to music. The Studio 530's makes music enjoyable again.

I know what you mean. My new Diamonds are fun, punchy little speakers without a lot of fault. But they don't wrap me up and make me cancel all my plans for they day the way the 530's do. They 530's have me digging my creates for all the music I've enjoyed over the years. They've inspired me to go seek out new music. They bring out the emotion in every song. You really can't ask for any more than that.

JohnMichael
03-30-2013, 08:33 AM
I know what you mean. My new Diamonds are fun, punchy little speakers without a lot of fault. But they don't wrap me up and make me cancel all my plans for they day the way the 530's do. They 530's have me digging my creates for all the music I've enjoyed over the years. They've inspired me to go seek out new music. They bring out the emotion in every song. You really can't ask for any more than that.

Exactly and very well said.

JohnMichael
03-30-2013, 02:52 PM
I did want to mention that I began to hear an edge to the sound. The Geortz TQ2 was to blame. Now that the DNM Resons are in place the sound is improved. The Studio 530's let you know what is going on in the rest of your system. I am becoming curious about how the Studio 570's might sound.

Mr Peabody
03-30-2013, 05:23 PM
The 570's are the model I heard but I have not heard the 530's. I would guess the mids and highs should be about the same, if any difference the 570's I'd think better, The 570's have a full bottom end. I can't remember if they came with port plugs or not. The Krell should control the bass very well but the 570's aren't going to be bass shy to be sure. I didn't get the impression of bass dominance, there was balance but you get a sense of a rich, or full bass. If your neighbors complained about Mozart on the 530's wait until they hear the 570's playing modern music :). When I heard the 570's they were driven by an all Onkyo Reference system. The guy had them pretty close into a corner so the bass may be even smoother with more air around them. I'm sure with the Krell driving the 570's you will get a nice physical component to the music.

JohnMichael
04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
JBL Studio 5 Series

I found this of interest. Prices are in Australian dollars.

JBL Studio 5 Series Loudspeakers | Hi-Fi (http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/News/Hi-Fi/jbl-studio-5-series-loudspeakers.html)

Designed by renowned audio engineer Greg Timbers, JBL’s stylish new speakers deliver accurate sound to the living room, game room or home theatre…

JBL’s new Studio 5 Series speakers are now available in Australia. Designed by JBL’s Chief Engineer Greg Timbers, the developer behind the acclaimed JBL Project Everest DD66000, each model in the Studio 5 Series uses a high-frequency compression driver with a Bi-Radial horn to provide the high-impact sound and realism found in professional loudspeaker systems. The JBL Studio 5 Series comprises a range of three floor-standing speakers, a pair of bookshelf speakers, a centre-channel loudspeaker and a subwoofer. ‘The flexibility of this speaker line-up allows consumers to arrange systems ranging from a two-channel stereo to a seven-channel configuration for a dynamic home theatre experience,’ said Geoff Matthews, CEO of Convoy International, Australian distributor for JBL. ‘A speaker system today must do more than just play music, as consumers look for dynamic sound from all of their entertainment devices, whether that comes from audio/video receivers, Blu-ray players, HDTVs and gaming consoles. The JBL Studio 5 Series provides the flexibility to build a great sound system whether in the family room, a dedicated home theatre or a dedicated listening room for audiophiles.’

The JBL Studio 590 is a floor-standing design that pairs a pair of 200mm PolyPlas coned bass/midrange drivers with SFG magnetic structures, cast frames and rubber surrounds to a 25mm high-frequency compression driver with a one-piece Teonex diaphragm that’s mounted in a glass-filled ABS Bi-Radial high-frequency horn and powered by a neodymium magnet. Standing around 1.2 metres high, the Studio 590 sells for $2,499 per pair.

JBL’s Studio 580s are also floor-standers and use the same high-frequency array as the larger, more expensive Studio 590. However the low and midrange frequencies are delivered by 165mm-diameter drivers with PolyPlas cones and SFG magnetic structures. Recommended retail is $1,999 per pair.

The smallest floor-standers in JBL’s Studio range are the Studio 570s ($1,499 per pair). Again JBL uses a 25mm compression driver in a glass-filled ABS Bi-Radial horn for the high frequencies, but this time bass and midrange frequencies are handled by two 130mm drivers, again with PolyPlas cones and SFG magnetic structures. ‘The moderately-proportioned Studio 570s maximise the benefits of deep bass and expansive soundstage shared with its larger siblings without visually dominating the average-sized living space,’ Matthews told Australian Hi-Fi Magazine. ‘It may look smaller but you will feel like you are listening to true full-range speaker in the JBL tradition.’

For smaller rooms, the JBL bookshelf/standmount Studio 530 ($999 per pair) uses the same h.f. array as all the other speakers in the Studio 5 series, but have only a single 130mm bass/midrange driver. JBL’s Studio 520C centre-channel ($599) has dual 100mm low-frequency transducers featuring stiff, lightweight PolyPlas cones with rubber surrounds and 25mm diameter voice coils, which cross to a 25mm high-frequency compression driver in a glass-filled ABS Bi-Radial high-frequency horn. The Studio 550P ($1,199) subwoofer has a front-firing 250mm-diameter PolyPlas woofer in a completely sealed enclosure that’s powered by an amplifier rated at 300-watts amplifier. All Studio 5 models come in a choice of Black or Cherry finish.

Mr Peabody
04-02-2013, 05:20 PM
JBL said it best regarding the 570, " ‘It may look smaller but you will feel like you are listening to true full-range speaker in the JBL tradition.’" I'd love to hear the 590.

I like the LS series as well which are similar configurations but to me the horns are..... difficult to put this right without giving wrong impression of one or the other, but more polite, or less midrange presence. The LS in comparison give a more dark feel to the background. I think the Studio have more pronounced or enhanced midrange.

JohnMichael
04-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Mr P I have to say I have not had the opportunity to hear the LS series. What caught my interest in the Studio 530's was a five star rating in What Hi Fi and the physical design. I would like to hear the 570's but they are not really needed in my room. Oh and to answer a previous question they all come with foam plugs.

Since you have heard the Studio 570's do you think they are time aligned? The reason I ask is the woofers are recessed and I think the voice coils are at the same point as the compression driver diaphragm. The imaging and detail remind me of a physically time aligned speaker. The crossover is at 1,500Hz so there is no beaming from the small mid/woofer in the 530's.

When I think of the trouble with the RS6's and their dual woofers the single woofer of the Studio 530's sounds like I should be happy with what I have. Oh and even a 5.25 driver can annoy the young women from below and their calls to the office.

JohnMichael
04-09-2013, 05:19 PM
I do not know if anyone else thinks this way but many of my first classical recordings are my favorite because they are the most familiar. Therefore my favorite recording of "Scheherazade" is one conducted by Mstislav Rostropovich and the Orchestre De Paris. I had not listened to it for awhile so I pulled it out of the rack.

I had never heard it through the Studio 530's. I was so surprised by the amount of detail I had not heard before. Very detailed and musical was the presentation. These speakers continue to please and surprise.

frenchmon
04-11-2013, 03:50 AM
Glad you are enjoying the speakers and having fun again JM....thats what its all about!

JohnMichael
04-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Glad you are enjoying the speakers and having fun again JM....thats what its all about!

Yes I am enjoying them. I will enjoy them more at the end of April when the young women go back home. I will miss all the midday complaints and the rental staff having to come down only to find my music at a respectable level. I will miss Ginger (a readhead) slamming closet doors and just being a general pain in the ass. While her roommate Daisy so named for her daisyduke shorts for all the phone calls. A manager was inspecting a recently vacated apartment when they knocked on the girls door to ask to turn down their TV. One of the petty ###### said she had to play it loud because of how loud I play my stereo. The manager informed her that I was not home. Yes they have complained about me while at work. Yes I have been harassed. I need to smack the parents for creating the two princess monsters.

tom1967
04-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Are giving smaller 130s away at New Egg at $129/pr........are they also good?

JohnMichael
04-13-2013, 08:48 AM

Sadly I have no idea. I was not a big JBL fan. The Studio 530's caught my eye first due to a 5 star review in What Hi Fi and the visual design. I liked that they were two ways without titanium tweeters. The tweeter in my opinion is very smooth but detailed. All my enthusiasm is for the Studio 5 Series.

filecat13
04-14-2013, 02:16 PM

They are nice little speakers, but nowhere near the quality of the Studio 530s.

The Studio 1 Series models have CMMD tweeters in a bi-radial waveguide. This gives them fairly broad dispersion and a less precise, slightly "raspy" MR and HF response compared to the Studio 5 Series. If you never heard the Studio 5 Series, you wouldn't appreciate the distinction, but if you heard both, you get it right away.

The Studio 1 models have a weird design, IMO, but they perform very well despite the looks; nonetheless, the engineering and design in the Studio 1 models is somewhat outdated, and they're definitely entry level models.

The Studio 5 models are far more representative of JBL's forward-looking "all horns all the time" philosophy, which is now in all of its top end and midrange models. They cost more, and they're worth every penny and then some.

OTOH, if I only had a couple hundred bucks to spend long-term on some speakers and wanted excellent bang for the buck, it'd be hard to go wrong with Studio 130s. If I was just going to spend a couple hundred bucks on impulse for a pair of speakers knowing I'd be upgrading in a year or so, I'd save my money.

JohnMichael
04-23-2013, 08:10 AM
I have really been enjoying my recordings of the Emerson Quartet. The Studio 530's do such a great job with stringed instruments. I am so glad I took a chance on my JBL's.

I recently checked settings on my turntable and the Studio 530's are revealing of changes to tracking force, antiskating and choice of platters.

JohnMichael
04-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Crutchfield has low stock and showing the price at $479.20 a pair.

http://www.jbl.com/images/media/STUDIO530_PI_EN.pdf

filecat13
04-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Crutchfield has low stock and showing the price at $479.20 a pair.

That's not bad considering this (and it's for 1 speaker):

JBL Studio 530 Home Audio 5 1 4" Bookshelf Speaker 050036312776 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-Studio-530-Home-Audio-5-1-4-Bookshelf-Speaker-/390583957187?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item5af09e36c3)

For posterity:

JohnMichael
04-27-2013, 06:40 AM
I was watching Glee last night, yes I watch Glee, and one of the characters sang REM's "Everybody Hurts". As soon as the recording was over I had to pull out the REM disc with that sing. I am still surprised when I play a cd through the Studio 530's for the first time. REM never sounded so good. The lack of sidewall reflections must be the reason the band sounds so coherent. The midrange clarity really shows off Michael's vocals. It is very easy to form a mental image of sitting in the center of a club watching and hearing them.

This is a great speaker for a tough room. The 530's are also a great bargain.

frenchmon
04-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Nice to see you are having fun and enjoying the 530's!

When playing vinyl, do they let you know when you have a bad recording like not enough bass or mids or to much treble and so forth? Also I sware it seems like some times I can hear them messing with the sound board during some recordings.

JohnMichael
04-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Nice to see you are having fun and enjoying the 530's!

When playing vinyl, do they let you know when you have a bad recording like not enough bass or mids or to much treble and so forth? Also I sware it seems like some times I can hear them messing with the sound board during some recordings.

I have to admit that since I added the Michael Lim top and bottom braces I have only been listening to my better records. Oh and the Grado Statement Sonata is more lush than analytical.

I can say they reveal the difference between cd's quite readily. As I have said before I would like to know if the speakers were time aligned? The mid/woofer is recessed and the voice coil of the mid/woofer looks like it would be in the same plane as the compression driver. Some cd's sound better and some worse but none are unlistenable. I can sometimes hear when the vocalist is singing in a booth.

Thriftstore Cowboy
04-29-2013, 09:25 AM
I once read that cohesiveness is what makes a speaker "musical" and the 530's are one of the most cohesive speakers I've listened to. That usually comes from good time alignment. What they may lack in ultimate bass weight and authority they more than make up for in timing and speed. I think that's one trait that makes listening to them so absorbing. Well, the massive dynamics and holographic soundstage certainly don't hurt either ;)

JohnMichael
04-29-2013, 12:29 PM
I once read that cohesiveness is what makes a speaker "musical" and the 530's are one of the most cohesive speakers I've listened to. That usually comes from good time alignment. What they may lack in ultimate bass weight and authority they more than make up for in timing and speed. I think that's one trait that makes listening to them so absorbing. Well, the massive dynamics and holographic soundstage certainly don't hurt either ;)

Yes they are amazing speakers for the money. The same speaker with a different name and a higher price would be getting raves in the press. I think timing is what I noticed first. Complex music is easier to enjoy when the band is in time with each other.

JohnMichael
04-30-2013, 08:13 AM
The princesses moved out yesterday. To celebrate the young couple from down the hall visited and we drank wine and played some tunes. He was impressed with vinyl playback in my system. He said "records are sounding like cd's but better". What he seemed to mean by that was the absence of surface noise and I think the speed stability also is impressive. Of course the Michael Lim braces further reduced mechanical noise. I think I am pleased with sounds like cd's but better.

The Studio 530's kept us entertained. It was nice hearing them at a reasonable volume. Who knew they could play loudly? Actuall when the girls were gone for holidays I did crank them. The Krell does a nice job driving them. Who knows but if I get my neighbor interested maybe I can sell some equipment. It would be nice to turn him into an audiophile and have an audio bud down the hall. I also like his girlfriend and they just rescued a dog. Oh and they are educated and can converse on a number of issues.

Looking forward to hearing some music tonight.

Jack in Wilmington
04-30-2013, 08:43 AM
It's nice to have neighbors that have similar interests and maybe a future audio enthusist. I usually have to go to the local HiFi shop to talk audio. Are the princesses gone for good, or is that too much to ask for?

JohnMichael
04-30-2013, 09:38 AM
It's nice to have neighbors that have similar interests and maybe a future audio enthusist. I usually have to go to the local HiFi shop to talk audio. Are the princesses gone for good, or is that too much to ask for?

Yes the princesses are back to their castles for the summer. I pity the men that marry them. Their parents did not do them any favors. At least staff from the rental office do not have to make as many trips to my building to listen if the music is too loud. I will miss all the slamming of doors and the tv at full volume.

I forgot to mention my neighbor has played in a band. I will share audio knowledge and I am sure he can introduce me to new music. I introduced him to Traffic last night and he liked the music. The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys!

Jack in Wilmington
04-30-2013, 10:45 AM
He must be young if he hasn't heard of Traffic. When I bought my turntable the owner threw in a 200 gram LP of John Barlycorn. It's nice to see the next generation appreciating music that is not on an Ipod with a wire running up to the ears.

I was going to ask when the princesses graduate, but they may be majoring in "Finding a Rich Husband"

JohnMichael
04-30-2013, 10:59 AM
I was going to ask when the princesses graduate, but they may be majoring in "Finding a Rich Husband"

We have an Ohio State branch in town where students can do their first two years before they hit the massive main campus. Since there is little in the way of student dorms they move into apartments in town. I do know their apartment has been rented already so they will not be back

Jack in Wilmington
04-30-2013, 11:47 AM
That is good news

JohnMichael
05-02-2013, 11:47 AM
I still find myself making short lists of interesting speakers. I sit at work and look at magazines. When I am home since I have toe-in perfect and discovered the IC's problem I really like these Studio 530's. I am ready to relax and enjoy them.

Now the other speakers will be up for sale. The Monitor Audio RS6's and Ascend CBM 170SE will be the first to go. I may keep the MoFi OML1's but who knows.

I am confident that these speakers sound as good as they do. I received good advice to trust my ears. They may not have audiophile panache but they are singing to me.

JohnMichael
05-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Had a fun night last night. A little wine, Lucinda Williams "Live @ The Filmore" and a fair amount of volume. What a great live set. I have not played it since all the complaints started rolling in and the music does encourage more volume. The soundstage was large and I easily heard the different guitars and pedal effects. I sat in my chair for the entire concert. Well I did make a few trips to the concession stand for wine refills.

Odd that a speaker keeps me in my seat for such a long time. Another plus is low levels of listener fatigue. My dog would leave the room when the RS6's were in the system but he sits with me now that the Studio 530's are in the system. My dog and I are in agreement over the JBL's.

JohnMichael
05-10-2013, 06:15 PM

Mr. P you are so correct about the AntiCables. Since the hard drive died in my computer I grabbed the AC's to hear how they sound with the Studio 530's. Better than the more expensive AQ Rocket44's. I am glad you are enjoying the AC's and I am glad your comments made me want to give them a listen.

Mr Peabody
05-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Good deal. Some cables I've tried do some things different but I keep gravitating back to the pristine presentation of the AC's.

Mr. P you are so correct about the AntiCables. Since the hard drive died in my computer I grabbed the AC's to hear how they sound with the Studio 530's. Better than the more expensive AQ Rocket44's. I am glad you are enjoying the AC's and I am glad your comments made me want to give them a listen.

frenchmon
05-11-2013, 03:06 AM
Peabody....did you sell the Siltech?

Mr Peabody
05-11-2013, 04:26 AM
No, I am using the IC's in the 2nd system and the speaker cables in the girl's system. Might as well use the stuff, no one wants to pay you a fair price. I've been trying to sell some pieces on Audiogon and only people who answer are those who ask you to give it away.

Peabody....did you sell the Siltech?

JohnMichael
05-11-2013, 04:56 AM
I am using the AntiCables bi-wired. Any complaints of dryness or lack of sparkle in the highs has been remedied. I liked the Rocket's with the OML1's but they held back the Studio 530's. Who knew that my budget speakers would sound so good with less expensive cables?

I do not think music in my room has ever sounded this good. The Marant SA8001 and the modded Rega are great sources. The Krell S-300i is neutral to the point of being difficult to describe. The Studio 530's are one of those rare designs that sound better than could be imagined. Greg Timbers is a genius.

TheHills44060
05-11-2013, 05:55 AM
Nice. Never realized you had a SA8001.

Mr Peabody
05-11-2013, 06:20 AM
It's nice to have your system to where you can really enjoy listening.

You never quite get the full Krell effect until using a Krell disc player connected via the XLR. The matched pair provide transient response and control I've not heard achieved separately. Since our local shop quit carrying Krell I haven't kept up with what's new, I wonder if they are offering the stand alone DAC's. Any one who isn't by now is missing the boat from what I hear..

JohnMichael
05-11-2013, 08:02 AM
It's nice to have your system to where you can really enjoy listening.

You never quite get the full Krell effect until using a Krell disc player connected via the XLR. The matched pair provide transient response and control I've not heard achieved separately. Since our local shop quit carrying Krell I haven't kept up with what's new, I wonder if they are offering the stand alone DAC's. Any one who isn't by now is missing the boat from what I hear..

I would have a hard time spending $2,500 on a cd player that does not play SACD's. The combo might be wonderful until I want to play a disc it will not.

Mr Peabody
05-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Krell supports SACD but unfortunately those players get up in price unless finding a good deal used or at Spearitsound.

frenchmon
05-11-2013, 04:34 PM
I am using the AntiCables bi-wired. Any complaints of dryness or lack of sparkle in the highs has been remedied. I liked the Rocket's with the OML1's but they held back the Studio 530's. Who knew that my budget speakers would sound so good with less expensive cables?

I do not think music in my room has ever sounded this good. The Marant SA8001 and the modded Rega are great sources. The Krell S-300i is neutral to the point of being difficult to describe. The Studio 530's are one of those rare designs that sound better than could be imagined. Greg Timbers is a genius.

Yeah I betcha the Sa8001 is sounding good. I have a feeling in about a year I will be ready for an CDP upgrade and the Marantz Reference is on my mind. I don't have a money tree n the back yard like some people so I cant get a Levinson player...:wink5:. I only wish I could get a good listen before I purchase one.

JohnMichael
05-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Yeah I betcha the Sa8001 is sounding good. I have a feeling in about a year I will be ready for an CDP upgrade and the Marantz Reference is on my mind. I don't have a money tree n the back yard like some people so I cant get a Levinson player...:wink5:. I only wish I could get a good listen before I purchase one.

Something tells me you will get the chance to listen.

JohnMichael
05-12-2013, 06:10 AM
One of the benefits of the Studio 530/AntiCable combination is the 530's sound better, fuller at low levels. Levels where the music sounded thin and ghostlike are now more satisfying. Of course all sounds good with greater volume.It was easy to place the speakers in my room. I spent much less time to find their sweet spot than I did with the RS6's and OML 1's. I wonder if I ever found a sweet spot for the RS6's. I now have the best cable combination for the speakers. Best of all I have no need to switch speakers. Now I can sit back and enjoy the music.

JohnMichael
05-18-2013, 08:58 AM
I had a dream night before last. I dreamt that as my blood levels continue to drop I became to weak to do much physical activity. In the dream I really wanted to hear the Monitor Audio RS6's. Well this nag at me until I hooked them up yesterday evening. Today listening to Mahler's 9th I thought everything sounded thin and metallic. I began to question the recording, the cd player and then I remembered this is what always happens when I listen to the RS6's. The Studio 530's are back in place and sounding so much better that Mahler's 9th is enjoyable again.

When I do become weak I will know moving the RS6's out will not be worth the effort.

JohnMichael
05-26-2013, 07:03 PM
I had posted a picture of my set up with my system and JBL Studio 530's on the JBL Facebook page. I did not see anyone else extoling the virtues of the two way Studio 5 series. Everyone was posting three or more ways JBL's. I have JBL's that JBL fans largely ignore.

What Hi-Fi gives them 5 stars and I think they are quite good. Oddly they seem to be ignored by JBL fans. I think this says a lot about the sound quality.

Mr Peabody
05-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I don't understand JBL's distribution, I pretty much disregarded them as a brand until I met a guy who carried them as a custom installer, when I heard the Array and LS series I changed my opinion of JBL, and now the Studio series. It seems to me that some of JBL's best stuff is not well known about.

JohnMichael
05-27-2013, 05:18 AM
I was surprised when they were given a good review in a British audio magazine before I saw any ads or other reviews. When I looked on Google Images for the speakers there were a lot of pictures from Asian magazines.

Until my interest in the Studio 530's I had not listened to JBL speakers since the L19's of the early 80's. Judging by what I saw searching the web when people buy JBL they want multiple drivers. Dual woofers, midrange, tweeter and super tweeter are of more interest than a simple two way. The Studio 530's have only one small woofer and no shiny tweeter. They just have great sound but is that enough?

TheHills44060
05-27-2013, 07:44 AM
My latest experience with JBL was a really nice pro setup. I went to a local winery here on the lake last summer and the band playing that night had nice JBL monitors. They had volume but didn't singe my ears and they never seemed stressed. Last time i heard JBL's in a home atmosphere was back in college through a haze of Milwaukee's Best and dirt weed.

filecat13
05-27-2013, 07:06 PM
My latest experience with JBL was a really nice pro setup. I went to a local winery here on the lake last summer and the band playing that night had nice JBL monitors. They had volume but didn't singe my ears and they never seemed stressed. Last time i heard JBL's in a home atmosphere was back in college through a haze of Milwaukee's Best and dirt weed.

Which winery? I did grad school at CWRU and visited a fair number of Ohio vintners.

Believe me, everyone, no one feels the pain of Harman's US marketing strategy for the JBL brand more than long-standing JBL fans. Well, TTTT, I suppose the men and women who design the JBLs feel the pain even more.

A prophet is without honor in his own country.

In a scant two weeks, I'll be hosting the annual Lansing Heritage Awards at my home, and the two honorees are Jerry Moro and Doug Button, who've been designing JBL (and Revel, Infinity, and JBL Pro) transducers for better than two decades. These guys are famous in Asia and Europe and virtually unknown here in the US. Greg Timbers was last year's honoree, and he's now the Honorary Chair for my little soiree.

JohnMichael (and anyone else) who'd like to send any of them a message can PM me, and I'll present it to them at the event.

As a side note, anyone who's interested in attending can PM me for details. It's June 8 in greater Los Angeles. Some folks come a very long way. There is a modest cost of $30, but it includes a dinner by Executive Chef George Carlberg from Denver.

Where else could you meet and talk to three of JBL's top guns and hear more than a half dozen of their top systems all in one place? Yes, I'm kind of a fan...

Mr Peabody
05-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Sounds like quite the event Filecat.

Thriftstore Cowboy
06-08-2013, 01:56 PM
I found this link to a printed review, again from the UK. It's from last year so some of you may have already read it. http://www.mediaaudio.hr/site/upload_news/press_review_-_jbl_studio_530_hifi_choice_2012-05_english.pdf

JohnMichael
06-08-2013, 04:37 PM
I found this link to a printed review, again from the UK. It's from last year so some of you may have already read it. http://www.mediaaudio.hr/site/upload_news/press_review_-_jbl_studio_530_hifi_choice_2012-05_english.pdf

Thanks for the link. I had not read that review before. Another 5 star review and I agree.

Thriftstore Cowboy
06-09-2013, 07:19 AM
It's interesting how every reviewer states some version of "these might not be for every one, but.."

And I couldn't agree more about the part that its hard to leave the room when they're playing. I find it takes a special desiciplne to turn off the hifi and not linger for "just one more song."

JohnMichael
06-12-2013, 06:35 AM
I had been using the 22 inch stands and recently tried my 24 inch stands. The 22 inch stands would put the horn at ear level and the 24 inch stands put my ear slightly below the mouth of the horn. I find I prefer the sound of the speakers with my ears about midway from mid/woofer to horn. They may not be for everyone but they are for me.

Thriftstore Cowboy
06-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Today I'm working from home so I get to rock out to them all day. The only problem is the constant head bobbing and toe tapping. These speakers make it really hard to sit still.

I have them sitting at 24" but I could see them easily work on shorter stands in my room. They are rather tall for a stand-mounter after all.

JohnMichael
06-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Today I'm working from home so I get to rock out to them all day. The only problem is the constant head bobbing and toe tapping. These speakers make it really hard to sit still.

I have them sitting at 24" but I could see them easily work on shorter stands in my room. They are rather tall for a stand-mounter after all.

My listening chair is a formal wing back chair and the seat is a little higher than my loveless seat. They sound good at both heights but I am hearing a little more midrange detail. My 22 inch Sanus Steel Foundation stands are a good match for the speaker if you are looking for a solid reasonably priced stand.

frenchmon
06-13-2013, 04:13 PM
JM....Nice to see you're still having fun! How is that TT? That Rega P10 is looking really nice...have you seen it? I'm thinking the upgrade bug has hit you a time or two?

JohnMichael
06-13-2013, 05:45 PM
JM....Nice to see you're still having fun! How is that TT? That Rega P10 is looking really nice...have you seen it? I'm thinking the upgrade bug has hit you a time or two?

That is some serious change for the RP10 and the higher spec limited edition table. That arm would still need a Michell Technoweight lowered counterweight. Now if they came out with a precision arm without the spring downforce for VTF I might consider it. I have been happier than a pig in sh!t since the new motor and braces with my Planar 2.

TheHills44060
06-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Which winery? I did grad school at CWRU and visited a fair number of Ohio vintners.
Oh that's fantastic! Case is a fine school. Harpersfield Winery in Geneva, OH.

JohnMichael
07-31-2013, 04:55 AM
Even though the MA RS6's are finally sounding good in my room I was missing the sound of the strings through the Studio 530's. They do not have the bass or dynamics of the RS6's but when I am in a chamber music mood the Studio 530's are my go to speakers.

Jack in Wilmington
07-31-2013, 06:24 AM
So that means you are retracting everything you said in the "On Vacation...Going Shopping thread on July 8th, that you had found one set of speakers to live with. I knew it was coming, just didn't know how long it would take. I'm that way with sources, sometimes I want vinyl, sometimes CD and other times HD downloads.

JohnMichael
07-31-2013, 07:04 AM
It is nice to have options. The RS6's are still in place so when I am in the mood for some Mahler or Lucinda Williams live I just switch the cables. Now that I am in a string quartet mood the Studio 530's are the best with detail and sweetness of string tones.

One recording I like is the Emmerson Quartet performing Mendelssohn's "Octet". They recorded half the Octet and went back and played it again. A little more intereting than the piece recorded by different quarters.

Jack in Wilmington
07-31-2013, 08:48 AM
I was at my local HiFi shop on Monday and there was a guy auditioning a pair of Paradigm Signature S2's and they had just put on The Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" and it sounded dull and lifeless and the potential buyer thought it was the speakers. My salesguy was waiting on him and as he popped around the corner he said to me that sounded terrible and I agreed. Then he went over and pulled out his copy of the same disc, only remastered, and put it in the CD player and without touching any controls he hit play and we watched the guys whole expression change. This guy had no idea that there was such a thing as a bad recording. He's saying "it's The Beatles how can it sound bad", now he knows. Then they put in a Chopin disc and I too was quite impressed. I had heard these speakers before and was underwhelmed. Must have been the material.

JohnMichael
07-31-2013, 11:17 AM
On other sites I read about members who own multiple pairs of speakers and change them as their mood changes. I find something to like about all of them. I think about one day having a speaker that does it all but until then I am going to enjoy my speakers as my mood changes and to stop worrying about it.

LeRoy
08-02-2013, 03:33 PM
It is nice to have options. The RS6's are still in place so when I am in the mood for some Mahler or Lucinda Williams live I just switch the cables. Now that I am in a string quartet mood the Studio 530's are the best with detail and sweetness of string tones.

Having options and reconfiguring speakers, cables, sources, etc..that's the ticket. It's good to know what the strengths and weaknesses of a singular piece of gear and be able to customize the presentation based on preferences and source material.

Even though I don't have my 3rd set of speakers ( System Audio Aura 1) hooked up to anything I still want to keep them here. There is a feeling of comfort knowing I can reach into my overflow box and still be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat if I want to.

So JM, good job of knowing when to go for the rascally rabbit.

JohnMichael
08-02-2013, 06:22 PM
OMG, Norah Jones through the Studio 530's. Damn girl.

harley .guy07
08-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Yeah I've got Norah Jones on 24/192 high def download on my music server and that is some of the best of that type of music out there as far as dynamics and realism that I have found so far. Also have the Eagles full studio albums on 24/192 and that is some incredible stuff too. LeRoy those System Audio speakers look pretty good. I looked them up and they seem to have a pretty substantial woofer for a smaller speaker. I have never heard of them until now.

JohnMichael
08-03-2013, 11:43 AM
I have learned to accept that I am a speaker polygamist. I love one for a time then it is time for a change. After Norah I pulled out some Harry Connick Jr. and was enjoying his voice and the band. I am at work but I would rather be home listening to music.

JohnMichael
08-18-2013, 06:28 AM
The JBL Studio 530's are still the imaging champs and do an incredible with piano and violin.

The MoFi OML1's recreate the best sense of space. The soundstage is wider than the speakers. They give a good clue to the size of the acoustical space.

The MA RS6's do the best sense of scale. The soundstage is between the speakers but they are good at large choral and symphonic works. While not as big a soundstage they portray the weight of the music.

As my music tastes change my speakers will change.

harley .guy07
08-18-2013, 08:36 AM
What would be cool now is to search out a speaker that can do all that in one. I know that's hard to find but I would think it would be a pain to change out speakers all the time and have to find the sweet spot positioning every time, Just saying

JohnMichael
08-18-2013, 09:21 AM
You are correct it would be great to find a speaker that can do all three things and I am sure they are out there. Way out beyond my budget. Swapping out speakers is not that tough since I know the best positions for all three. I may be able to set them up blindfolded. I have measurements charted and the carpet piercing spikes in cheap apartment carpet are my guides.

I was reading a thread on another site and a member was using the Usher 520's on the Usher bass stands. I was thinking the mini monitor would give me good imaging and wide soundstage and the bass module would give me a sense of scale and they are designed to work together. My poor man's Verity.

Jack in Wilmington
08-18-2013, 12:34 PM
I really like my Usher S520's but they probably aren't any better than the OML1's. You might as well keep the OML1's and get a sub to fill in the lower octaves. I'll bet Harley's speakers do everything that you're looking for and are in your budget range.

I'm sure you don't have different cars for rainy days and snowy days and hot sunny days. That might not be a good analogy, but you get the idea.

Mr Peabody
08-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Although your speakers are all good performers your amp is certainly capable of making it worth moving up as budget would permit. I had an original 300i and it was good with Dynaudio Contour floorstanding so you should be fairly wide open in quality monitors.

In your listening area, although not a monitor, I wonder what Totem would sound like. Thiel might also be a brand to listen to.

JohnMichael
08-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Now that I have found the sweet spot for the RS6's the drive for better speakers is not as strong. They are the same distance from the rear wall but a little further apart with some toe-in. I listen to those the most these days and I am glad I finally can enjoy them. I feel like I am getting my money's worth.

I just need to make a trip to Dayton and listen to the Dynaudio's.

filecat13
08-31-2013, 11:33 PM
I'm sure you don't have different cars for rainy days and snowy days and hot sunny days. That might not be a good analogy, but you get the idea.

:) I'll bet he's got different clothes for different occasions and even for different moods. He probably eats and drinks according to mood from time to time. I suspect there are times when he wants to spend time with some people and not with others or even when he wants no company at all.

:) Hope you don't think I'm being argumentative. I'm positing there are many ways to look at choice and preference as an alternative to one-size-fits-all. When I lived in Michigan, I had a winter car, a summer car, an off-roading car, and a work car. Well the last two were technically an SUV and a pick up truck. I only had one house.

When I moved to CA, I only had one car--a summer car--and somehow was able to have a house in CA and a second home away from CA. I didn't need more than one car in that mess, but I sure needed a place to go to get away from it.

JM is a lucky guy to be able to have satisfying variety in something he loves, and I applaud him for being openly happy about it.

I do know a few guys who have uber expensive speakers who have to force their enthusiasm when certain music is played on them, because they just really don't like how some things sound on their system. Other music--their favorite demo track(s)-- sounds glorious, and they want so much for everything to sound glorious but it doesn't.

When it comes to speakers, I do believe that variety is the spice of life. :)

filecat13
08-31-2013, 11:40 PM
I should have added that having a very understanding partner or living alone really helps in this regard. Most people I know subscribe to the "one set ought to be enough" school of thought on music in the house, and if you're in residence with one of those thinkers, you're out of luck.

Mr Peabody
09-01-2013, 05:21 AM
Coincidently, I saw the guy from Enjoy the Music website giving a seminar on YouTube at RMAF, his point was not to get so caught up in upgradeidus and "enjoy the music" BUT he was addressing audiophiles and some of them had 12 sets of speakers, he at one time had 15 sets, so it is not unusual to have more than one set of speakers if you have the room and money. Some speakers are unique and hold a place in your heart and even though you find one you generally enjoy more you hate to let go of the beloved set. A friend of mine has a bunch of Hales, he just replaced all his Revel with the new Performa 3 series and although the Performa 2's are for sale he still has them. Besides we as audiophiles can seem content at one point and then hear a speaker or piece of gear that strikes us in a way we are no longer content. The plus and minus of listening to a lot of other gear, LOL

Jack in Wilmington
09-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Mr. P, I wondered why you never kept any of your old speakers around. Do you ever wonder what your Dyns would have sounded like with your Pass gear? I guess I'm lucky, in that being retired, if I want to hear a different set of speakers, I just drive up to the local hifi shop. They're always happy to see me and I get to talk about gear with the guys and we talk about new restaurants that we've tried. But I never think about replacing my Dyns with anything that I've heard. I do have 3 other sets of speakers to listen to at home, but I never get the urge to put them in the 2 channel mix.

Mr Peabody
09-01-2013, 01:21 PM
My issue is not enough space. It would have been interesting to hear the Dyn's with my system but the F52's are superior than the model I had, they are exceptional, you'd have to hear them to understand, some of the reviews are spot on. I can't understand why the resale value isn't higher. There are very few speakers I've heard at any price that go as low as the F52's, remain controlled and provide detail in that region. I have a friend in the area who upgraded, and I use the term loosely, to the Performa 3's and wants to sell his F52's, I've been trying to get Harley to come up and give a listen to them. I wouldn't trade my F52's straight up for the top of the line Performa 3. I still like Dynaudio, I just like my F52's better. If I had room and going to hang on to speakers there are models of Klipsch I would keep, I'd want a set of JBL's LS series, a set of Dynaudio's Focus 110. Who knows what else I might have ended up with :).

How do you like that Goldring cart? Have you used anything else you can compare it to?

Jack in Wilmington
09-01-2013, 06:33 PM
My issue is not enough space. It would have been interesting to hear the Dyn's with my system but the F52's are superior than the model I had, they are exceptional, you'd have to hear them to understand, some of the reviews are spot on. I can't understand why the resale value isn't higher. There are very few speakers I've heard at any price that go as low as the F52's, remain controlled and provide detail in that region. I have a friend in the area who upgraded, and I use the term loosely, to the Performa 3's and wants to sell his F52's, I've been trying to get Harley to come up and give a listen to them. I wouldn't trade my F52's straight up for the top of the line Performa 3. I still like Dynaudio, I just like my F52's better. If I had room and going to hang on to speakers there are models of Klipsch I would keep, I'd want a set of JBL's LS series, a set of Dynaudio's Focus 110. Who knows what else I might have ended up with :).

How do you like that Goldring cart? Have you used anything else you can compare it to?

I was all set to purchase either a Goldring Eroica H from my Music Hall dealer or a Sumiko Blue Point Special from my local shop, when I went up and heard a Bryston 4B-SST2 and I believe that will make a bigger over all improvement in my system.

Florian
09-02-2013, 12:32 AM
I do enjoy 2 sets of speakers as well, which are quite the opposite type. My main speaker is a pair of Apogee Grands and for normal listening, where i do not want to turn on 8 monoblocks i use a pair of slightly modded Hales Transcendence 8 speakers. They are quite apart but i can enjoy music on both and accept the limitations of the Hales. By the way, its actually one of the very few box speakers i can enjoy.

Cheers

R2D2
09-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Hi,
I just installed a pair of Studio 530 and I am browsing my iTunes library for 7 hours now !
Rock, solo violin, choirs, acoustic guitar, opera singers, everything is a joy to listen to !
Long ago I had a pair oF JBL L15, then modest Mission 731i; but these 530 are amazing. For one year, I have been listening music in my office with a pair of Adam AX7 with a Dynaudio BM14s sub, but the 530 are much faster than the ART ribbon; transients are absolutely amazing and gives a huge sense of realism.
In order to extend basses, I added a BM14s sub, and then I get a huge and wide scene.
I played "das Lied von der Erde" of Malher and I was surprised, when the singer raises his voice at the end of his breath, to litteraly hear the tension of his neck´s muscles.
Rite of spring oF Stravinsky becomes organic with the 530. For jazz, you are sitting in the Club. Bob Florence' serendipity results in a huge stage, horns are blowing. The piano of Nathalie Loriers is authoritative as it must be. In classic, Vengerov's violin is very realistic, Harpsichord (Leonhardt) is outstanding. And all voices are so detailed, the specificities of each are respected (Bobby Mc Ferrin, Franck Zappa, Joni Mitchell, Marisa Monte). Dynaudio BM14s is sufficiently fast and tight to smoothly blend with the 530. The 3 double-bass tune "Splanky" of Christian Mc Bride is a delight and each of the 3 bassists is clearly located and fully heard during his solo.
These 530 are a bargain, and their horns are unbelievably giving life to digital music. To find these horns on such relatively cheap speakers is a Luck of one's life. Compare with similar price Klipsch and you will admit that JBLs are infinitely superior.

JohnMichael
09-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Hi,
I just installed a pair of Studio 530 and I am browsing my iTunes library for 7 hours now !
Rock, solo violin, choirs, acoustic guitar, opera singers, everything is a joy to listen to !
Long ago I had a pair oF JBL L15, then modest Mission 731i; but these 530 are amazing. For one year, I have been listening music in my office with a pair of Adam AX7 with a Dynaudio BM14s sub, but the 530 are much faster than the ART ribbon; transients are absolutely amazing and gives a huge sense of realism.
In order to extend basses, I added a BM14s sub, and then I get a huge and wide scene.
I played "das Lied von der Erde" of Malher and I was surprised, when the singer raises his voice at the end of his breath, to litteraly hear the tension of his neck´s muscles.
Rite of spring oF Stravinsky becomes organic with the 530. For jazz, you are sitting in the Club. Bob Florence' serendipity results in a huge stage, horns are blowing. The piano of Nathalie Loriers is authoritative as it must be. In classic, Vengerov's violin is very realistic, Harpsichord (Leonhardt) is outstanding. And all voices are so detailed, the specificities of each are respected (Bobby Mc Ferrin, Franck Zappa, Joni Mitchell, Marisa Monte). Dynaudio BM14s is sufficiently fast and tight to smoothly blend with the 530. The 3 double-bass tune "Splanky" of Christian Mc Bride is a delight and each of the 3 bassists is clearly located and fully heard during his solo.
These 530 are a bargain, and their horns are unbelievably giving life to digital music. To find these horns on such relatively cheap speakers is a Luck of one's life. Compare with similar price Klipsch and you will admit that JBLs are infinitely superior.

Yes they are very nice speakers and that horn tweeter is so good. I heard a little dryness but I attribute that more to the cables I was using at the time

R2D2
09-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Yes they are very nice speakers and that horn tweeter is so good. I heard a little dryness but I attribute that more to the cables I was using at the time
I do use very ordinary cables but I crease an aluminium foil around the cable near the speaker's end. A friend oF mine showed me this trick and it gave better sound than a 10,000 $ cable lent by a reseller that he was testing at that Time.

JoeE SP9
09-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Say what!?

R2D2
09-11-2013, 12:41 AM
Just try it, you will hear the difference, and blind listening is easy, one friend put or not a foil oF aluminium around the cable and then creases it around the cable. It suppresses Metallic or harshness, especially of voices.

Florian
09-11-2013, 02:55 AM
I think its time the magic pixie dust comes back... but then again, i think its already here in spades ;-)

R2D2
09-11-2013, 04:14 AM
I am not a fan of these magic tricks, but I heard a difference in blinded conditions. And it is not expensive to try it. A friend of mine, a mathematician developing a plasma loudspeaker explained me that there were micro-currents getting out and in the cables all along the traject and that this trick could stop it. I don't have the scientific background to judge the value of his explanation. I am usually sceptic when someone says that he uses quantic mechanic to help the air move in a room, as I am involved in many scientific projects where we scrutinize any placebo effect or any bias or confounding factor. This does not result in perfect immunization against placebo effect but it can help. Any way, as the placebo effect produces a release of dopamine in the accumbens nucleus, it has an effect on brain-reward. Maybe this could affect sound perception, nevertheless sound perception is not the only factor. A japanese team demonstrated that frequencies above 20 Khz were not identified by participants but clearly affected brain responses disclosed by functional neuroimagery techniques.
Maybe future reviews of Hi-Fi products will include not only measurements of gear but also brain responses in addition to human judgements ;-)

R2D2
09-11-2013, 04:27 AM
Addendum : this discussion about cables does not prevent Studio 530 to be very enjoyable. In order to better describe my feelings, I am listening my Adam A7X with the same tunes (but not the same DAC, Teac UD-501 at home, and Apogee Duet in the office) : I think Adam A7X are not bad, but clearly Studio 530 give a "sparkling sound" : you want to dance with it and just listen with the A7X. The Overture and All that Jazz from the musical movie Chicago brings snaps to your fingers. My wife confirmed that she had the feeling to be at concerts for the singers she appreciates. She also told me that, contrary to the previous system, it did not make her irritable when played at loud volumes (and in fact, she tolerated very well the well above usual volume I played with the 530).

JohnMichael
09-11-2013, 04:43 AM
Hey if it works enjoy it. I recently bought cables with a network and they are sounding very good. Who knew?

Florian
09-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Hello R2D2,

of course there is nothing wrong with trying at all but i still highly doubt the results unless your original non modified cables lack shielding/good connectors or some other thing is not up to spec. I also have several cables in my system which are worth several thousand bucks and i only bought/traded them because they look cool. But the differences between them are almost zero. My system is very highly resolving and changes are easily audible, but cables are simply not responsible for too much. What equipment do you run to judge this by?

Just curious

Flo

magi44ken
12-28-2013, 02:02 PM
They do not do loud or very low well but in the range I listen they are just right.

John, can you elaborate more when you said "very low" not doing very well. Do you mean it lose the detail and dynamic of sound and become muddy a little? How does it sound in low volume during quiet night or late evening time?

I heard that JBL is discontinuing the JBL Studio 5 series. I'm really hoping they continue this series with a better version to replace it after receiving so many positive reviews.

Maybe Filecate13 might know some new speakers coming out in 2014 to replace the JBL Studio 5 series. Any thought Filecate13?

JohnMichael
12-28-2013, 04:56 PM
John, can you elaborate more when you said "very low" not doing very well. Do you mean it lose the detail and dynamic of sound and become muddy a little? How does it sound in low volume during quiet night or late evening time?

I heard that JBL is discontinuing the JBL Studio 5 series. I'm really hoping they continue this series with a better version to replace it after receiving so many positive reviews.

Maybe Filecate13 might know some new speakers coming out in 2014 to replace the JBL Studio 5 series. Any thought Filecate13?

I am trying to find the post where I had said that for context. I was probably thinking in volume and bass in comparison to the Monitor Audio RS6's. The RS6's are more efficient and have two 6 inch mid and woofer along with the dome tweeter. The 5 1/4 inch woofer does surprisingly well in bass for it's size but can not go as low as two drivers working together in the lower octaves. The two drivers covering the lows and mids can move more air and are more efficient along with greater power handling so the potential of greater volume. I think they are very good speakers for the money and are often found discounted.

magi44ken
12-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks John. I'll see if I can score some discount during New Years sale.

salami
01-04-2014, 02:24 AM
Thanks John. I'll see if I can score some discount during New Years sale.

I scored a pair of JBL Studio 570s on sale with the cherry finish. I have a very large room to fill; 1000 square feet vaulted ceiling over all. I am enjoying the speakers very much. They are very detailed, revealing and create a big soundstage. I am driving them with the HK 990 stereo integrated amp. The studio 580 or 590 would have been a better choice but my wife and I found their size too big for our tastes. For a room the size of mine, I found the 570's bottom end slightly lacking and added a 10" Mission sub. Set the crossover at 110hz and it blends wonderfully. The bass in the setup without the sub is fast and clear but just didn't have the depth I needed with the room volume I had to fill. The studio 5 series are very worthy speakers that can surprise you with imaging, detail and refinement especially for the price.

I will be experimenting with some BlueJeans cable in a few months and will report back.

magi44ken
01-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the nice impression. I agree by just listening to some youtube video. I notice the vocal is natural and up front. Imaging is very accurate and nice dynamic.

The 570 looks like a nice size for small room than 580. 590 is huge. I'm planning to get 580 for my brother whose room is 12x15. I hope it works out and not overwhelm it.

BlueJean cable is very nice and not too expensive. Enjoy your speakers.

How wide is your listening spot? How's the soundstage in term of depth? I usually find if the vocal is too upfront, the 3d soundfield is lose a bit.

salami
01-05-2014, 05:59 PM
The speakers are about nine feet apart and very slightly toed in. The are placed on a low profile fireplace hearth and I listen from about ten feet away. They are near the back wall because placing them in front of the hearth would not be practical. Because of that, the depth of the soundstage is a couple feet behind the speakers but I believe it could be improved if I had the speakers were placed farther away from the back wall. The sound extends a few or more feet beyond either side of the speakers. Our room extends well beyond the speakers.

Sometimes the horns can be a bit forward but the tradeoff for the accurate voice, strings and horns the 570s provide, I believe is worth it.

One thing I might add. Orchestra pieces have quite a bit more depth. It adds concert realism. Nice.

JohnMichael
01-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Salami have you listened to any jazz piano or solo piano. The piano is what first blew me away. I am not sure but I think the horn driver and the mid/woofers are time aligned. I think that is why some recordings sound very good and others show some flaws.

We are discussing HF drivers on another forum regarding rather ferrofluid damping is a good thing. I also have a pair of Focal speakers that do not use ferrofluid in the tweeters. I do not know if the horn tweeter uses any and if not that may explain it's speed and detail. The Studio 5 series are amazing for the money.

JohnMichael
01-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Here are the Studio 530's in my bedroom system.

JohnMichael
01-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Here is my main system with the Focal's on their dedicated stands.

magi44ken
01-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Nice setup you have there John. I have demo the Focal 806V with a friend for a pair in my bedroom too. I love the detail but the high was a bit too bright for my taste. I wonder how it compare to the JBL 530.

There are several reviewers mention how the JBL Studio 5 play the piano so naturally as well as other acoustic instruments. That's what I attract me to this speaker as well as the wide sweet spot and dynamic when it comes to home theater.

salami
01-06-2014, 06:11 PM
My setup. For simplicity I use Bose Cinema for entertainment and the 570s with the HK 990 for serious listening. I have listened to some Brubeck piano work and yes it does sound very good.

JohnMichael
01-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Last night I fell asleep listening to solo piano music of Erik Satie. The piano sounded very good and gave a good sense of the piano's size. The Studio 530's work well in more spaces than any other speaker I have owned. Judging by the imaging and sense of space they must be time aligned.

My living room is carpeted, lined curtains and sheers on the window, and 3 upholstered pieces of furniture. The Studio 530's sounded a little dry in the living room. They are more lively in the bedroom. The Focal's do not sound bright in the living room.

My Krell S-300i is very neutral which works well with the Focal 806V's. I have my Onkyo A-9555 to power the JBL's and they are a good match. Both systems while different are enjoyable.

The JBL Studio 530's are speakers that belong in my permanent collection. They do some things in truly musical ways.

JohnMichael
01-06-2014, 06:25 PM
My setup. For simplicity I use Bose Cinema for entertainment and the 570s with the HK 990 for serious listening. I have listened to some Brubeck piano work and yes it does sound very good.

Very nice looking setup. I bet that HK does a great job of driving the speakers. Looks like a good space to relax and enjoy some tunes.

salami
01-07-2014, 06:41 AM
The HK does have great control and much power and is neutral as well. Drives the semi inefficient 570s with ease. I am still experimenting a bit with placement, speaker wire and bass management. Listened to Dire Straits CD "On Every Street" Fade To Black and You and Your Friend songs the other night. Really enjoyed it. Emotional, musical and well recorded. Good imaging.

JohnMichael
01-07-2014, 08:14 AM
The Studio 5 series sounds really good with good amplification. My Krell S-300i did a better job with the 530's than the Onkyo A-9555. Still very listenable but the Krell really grabs a hold of the drivers.

filecat13
01-22-2014, 07:58 AM
Forgive me for being a bit off thread, but I've coveted the HK990 and the Krell S-300i both. Coupled with the Studio 5s, you each must be in fine fettle. I'd like to see both side-by-side in my house for a month. ;-)

JohnMichael
01-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Forgive me for being a bit off thread, but I've coveted the HK990 and the Krell S-300i both. Coupled with the Studio 5s, you each must be in fine fettle. I'd like to see both side-by-side in my house for a month. ;-)

Check out Music Direct now that they have the Krell S-300i discounted at $1,795.

JohnMichael
02-05-2014, 05:46 PM
A friend is interested in a stereo system. I thought this might be my chance to sell some of my closet stock. He mentioned that he knew the JBL name. I pulled out the Studio 530's into the living room and he laughed at the size of the woofers. In my room they work best closer to the rear wall about 24 inches out. Powered by the Krell and wired with AQ Rocket 44's I was ready to demo. Popped in some Lucinda Willaims and hit play.

He was impressed with the bass and Lucinda was singing when all of a sudden the background singers were right behind Lucinda and each singer was in their own space with their distinctive voice. Next was "Raising Sand" with Robert Plant/ Alison Krauss and last Patricia Barber "the Cole Porter Mix". Then we just listened to music randomly and by the end of our listening session he wanted to buy them and I could not part with them. I showed him the JBL site and he ordered a pair.

The dryness in the highs I complained about previously is gone with the Sony XA5400ES and balanced into the S-300i. I must admit that the Studio 530's are back in the living room. They do things better than my other speakers and are incredible for the money.

Thriftstore Cowboy
03-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Anyone else notice that JBL tucked the 500 series up under the Synthesis brand? Makes sense as their performance is more in line with the Synthesis speakers than their consumer lines. Studio 530 Bookshelf Speakers | JBL Synthesis (http://www.jblsynthesis.com/Products/Details/240)

JohnMichael
03-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Anyone else notice that JBL tucked the 500 series up under the Synthesis brand? Makes sense as their performance is more in line with the Synthesis speakers than their consumer lines. Studio 530 Bookshelf Speakers | JBL Synthesis (http://www.jblsynthesis.com/Products/Details/240)

Awesome, right where they belong.

Thriftstore Cowboy
03-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Yep, it also means those cheap online deals are going away. The Synthesis systems are only available through brick and mortar dealers.

JohnMichael
03-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Yep, it also means those cheap online deals are going away. The Synthesis systems are only available through brick and mortar dealers.

I hope more people get a chance to hear them.

filecat13
03-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Thriftstore Cowboy,

That's a nice heads up. Good catch.

They are clearly where they belong now.

JohnMichael
03-21-2014, 12:25 PM
The 530's are back in the living room. The Focal's are nice but I noticed a lack of musical involvement. No desire to play air guitar or conduct. Listening to a cd I noticed how my feet were moving listening through the 530's.

The RS6's are good for large scale music when you want the music to sound large and dynamic but the metal cones add a tone that is not that musical.

The Focal 806's are now in the bedroom and have a midrange warmth that is nice with some music. They have a nice tone but may be too pretty.

The MoFi OML1's have good dynamics but a recessed midrange. Less warmth in the midrange than the Focal's. Not as fast or as detailed as the JBL Studio 530's.

The 530's are doing a nice job and are still a great bargain.

TheHills44060
03-21-2014, 04:10 PM
...No desire to play air guitar or conduct.
Great description JM I know that feeling! haha

JohnMichael
03-22-2014, 07:46 AM
I have found in my room the trick is to have the speakers closer together with no toe-in. I start my new job soon and this time to really evaluate the speakers was informative. I now have a better understanding of what is important to me. If I am sitting too still they are not the speakers for me.

filecat13
04-16-2014, 07:29 PM
It's great to come back and see you still enjoying your music through these speakers. You're giving them the test of time, and they seem to be passing the test. :-)

JohnMichael
02-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Still loving the JBL Studio 530's. They are the best for my room. They have greater detail than the Mobile Fidelity OML1's and the Focal 806v's. They are sounding better on taller stands than the 22 inch stands I had been using. They are the best at large scale vocal works. It has taken me awhile to accept and gain the confidence that they sound this good at so little money.

Feanor
02-24-2015, 05:13 PM
Still loving the JBL Studio 530's. They are the best for my room. They have greater detail than the Mobile Fidelity OML1's and the Focal 806v's. They are sounding better on taller stands than the 22 inch stands I had been using. They are the best at large scale vocal works. It has taken me awhile to accept and gain the confidence that they sound this good at so little money.

I'm glad your still liking your JBLs, JM. I have to respect any speaker the works for large scale vocal works.

JohnMichael
06-09-2015, 06:31 PM
As I have mentioned in other posts my hearing has improved and my enjoyment of the Studio 530's is greater. They are better and an incredible bargain than my other speakers.

thekid
06-10-2015, 02:56 AM
Sounds like they are a gift that keeps giving.
Congrats!!!