New Killers, Tori Amos . . . [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Killers, Tori Amos . . .

Snowbunny
10-08-2012, 08:51 AM
All my Tori Amos music is on cassette, and I don't really want to buy it again digitally or on CD, but her new album, Gold Dust features new arrangements of her past catalogue featuring the Metropole Orchestra.

Going music shopping today and it is a definite purchase for me.

I am on the fence however, about the Deluxe Edition of Killers - Battle Born. and Cat Power - Sun. In another thread I am also considering Mumford and Sons - Babel.

But what I really want is Beth Orton - Sugaring Season, but I highly doubt I will find it at my LRS.

Any other suggestions of must-haves would be appreciated. Especially by Davey and Stone and Slosh (although Sloshy and Stone's recs will be taken with a grain of salt to soften their youthful attraction to some of the harder rock bands. :))

I'm still experiencing turkey lethargy this a.m. so no big rush. Although at the speed this forum now moves, I won't hold my breath for quick responses. :Yawn:

TIA,

Snowie

edit: Oh, and I think Meshell Ndegeocello (yes I googled it) has a new album.

I don't own any of her albums and yet some of her songs are in my Top 100. Comments from any fans would be appreciated!

3LB
10-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I do like the latest from The Killers better than their last couple of releases. Muse may be in your wheelhouse. Aimee Mann has a new one out, but it's pretty standard fare for her. You might check out new stuff from Mystery Jets, The Sea & Cake and one my faves this year Zeus (nope, not a metal act). The new Band of Horses is better than their last one, iffin ya likes some twang with yer indie pop.

Snowbunny
10-08-2012, 11:31 AM
I do like the latest from The Killers better than their last couple of releases. Muse may be in your wheelhouse. Aimee Mann has a new one out, but it's pretty standard fare for her. You might check out new stuff from Mystery Jets, The Sea & Cake and one my faves this year Zeus (nope, not a metal act). The new Band of Horses is better than their last one, iffin ya likes some twang with yer indie pop.

Thanks for the recs, 3LB.

Funny but I'm hearing a lot of fans who liked the back catalogue of Killers don't really like Battle Born, but those who didn't - do. If that makes sense.

On paper it appears that I should like Muse, but I've listened to enough to know that they just don't click for me.

But Band of Horses is a great idea! And yes I do like my indie twang.

Mystery Jets is new to me, so I'll do some sampling.

Take care,

Snowie

PS - No opinion on Tori Amos, eh? :p

3LB
10-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Funny but I'm hearing a lot of fans who liked the back catalogue of Killers don't really like Battle Born, but those who didn't - do. If that makes sense.
It does kinda. I never was a huge fan. I only like about half of Hot Fuss or Sam's Town. Sawdust and Day&Age didn't do anything for me, but I liked what I heard in the record store of the latest - less dance oriented, less penchant for bombast

On paper it appears that I should like Muse, but I've listened to enough to know that they just don't click for me.
right. I remember you weren't one for the bombast of Queen and Muse, if anything, are rather over-the-top bombastic, or try to be anyway.

But Band of Horses is a great idea! And yes I do like my indie twang.
I didn't like their last one too much because it was a tad maudlin. A quick look-see at YT should tell you all you need to know. Cease To Begin was the big hit of theirs. I like an album of songs whether they're intra-related or not to at least vary in tempo from song to song.

Mystery Jets is new to me, so I'll do some sampling.

here's a mini review I did months ago:

After 2010's über happy, jangly Serotonin, the last thing you'd expect to see on the cover of a Mystery Jets album is an out line of Texas. Yes, the band did record this album in Austin, TX. While there is just a hint of twang under the sheen of reverb, its no Eric Burdon turn (turn, turn) of direction. There's still a smear of early '80s Euro-pop but the change of venue has added a more organic flavor to the proceedings. Don't worry, its not a Guster album, its still a very British accented album, lyrically and musically - some Strawbs here and there, late '70s Kinks, and even though they put their quirkiness aside for most of the album, they manage to channel 10cc for a couple of mid-album romps. The song Greatest Hits is a very clever break-up song about dividing the music collection, repleat with classic album reference <NOBR>roll call (http://forums.audioreview.com/rave-recordings/mystery-jets-radlands-38351.html#)</NOBR>. The Hale Bop sounds like it could've been ripped from 10cc's Bloody Tourists album. Nice to see a young band realize that making music can be fun, even when you're stretching out.

By all means check out Zeus as well. Might I rec The Morning Benders while I'm at it. Somewhere on the 3rd or 4th page are threads going indepth about Zeus and Morning Benders. The last couple from Wilco have been superb as well. The Shins new one is pretty good.

No opinion on Tori Amos, eh? I haven't listened to her since the '90s, same with Sarah McLachlan. I guess I'm trendy that way. :smilewinkgrin: I've only recently listened to Aimee Mann after not listening to her for a long time. I've tired quickly of host of indie-rock du jour. There are scant few acts I'm completely dedicated to - I even skipped out on Rush for the last couple albums of the '80s only to come back in the '00s.

Snowbunny
10-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Me - don't like Queen? :eek:

3LB!!! They are absolutely Number 1 on my all time desert island pick list!

Band of Horses was an excellent rec for me! I am still playing around with some of the other bands you rec'd. Your Mystery Jets review has moved it up the list!

Snowie

3LB
10-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Here's a couple of in-studio runthroughs, kinda unpolished compared to the CD versions but cool none the less.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=HrRzXN_hdms)
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=rVUM2ErYQwo)

The new one from Zeus, Busting Visions, continues Say Us's refusal to stay focused, still touching the same bases as before; the Harrisonesque twang, Van Morrison soul and Nilsson tinpan alley, but now with healthy dose of T-Rex. Perhaps not as polished as the debut (I did say T-Rex after all) choosing a slightly homemade sound on a few songs, like the opener, Are You Gonna Waste My Time. They even get downright danceable towards the end of the album, with two songs that could've been lifted from an old Of Montreal album. Don't worry, they bring it back down to earth with a little Nilsson on Cool Blue (And The Things You Do) and Harrison-like note bending on Now That I've Got You. The sprawl and diversity alone conjures memories of Nilsson Schmilsson.

Swish
10-12-2012, 03:02 PM
...nearly barfed in my mouth. Sounds like a Journey retread or something. Contrived lyrics and uninteresting, forced melody.

"Blonde hair blowin' in the summer wind
A blue-eyed girl playing in the sand
I'd been on her trail for a little while
But that was the night that she broke down and held my hand
The teenage rush, she said, "Ain't we all just runaways, we got time"
Well that ain't much...
We can't wait 'til tomorrow
You gotta know that this is real, baby why you wanna fight it?
It's the one thing you can choose, oh!

We got engaged on a Friday night
I swore on the head of our unborn child that I could take care of the three of us
But I got the tendency to slip when the nights get wild.
It's in my blood
She says she might just runaway somewhere else, some place good
It's the one thing you can choose

Let's take a chance baby we can't lose
Ain’t we all just runaways?
I knew it when I met you, I'm not gonna let you runaway
I knew it when I held you, I wasn't lettin' go

We used to look at the stars and confess our dreams
Hold each other to the morning light
We used to laugh, now we only fight
Baby are you lonesome now?

At night I come home after they go to sleep
Like a stumbling ghost, I haunt these halls
There's a picture of us on our wedding day
I recognize the girl but I can't settle in these walls

Now we're caught up in the appeal, baby why you wanna hide it?
It's the last thing on my mind
(Why you wanna hide it?)
I turn the engine over and my body just comes alive and we all just runaways
I knew it when I held you, I wasn't lettin go, no no no!
(No no no!)
Ain't we all just runaways?
Yeah runaway
Yeah"

If that's indicative of the rest of the record, count me out please! I think I could come up with better lyrics than that crap.

Snowbunny
10-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Here's a couple of in-studio runthroughs, kinda unpolished compared to the CD versions but cool none the less.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=HrRzXN_hdms)
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=rVUM2ErYQwo)

The new one from Zeus, Busting Visions, continues Say Us's refusal to stay focused, still touching the same bases as before; the Harrisonesque twang, Van Morrison soul and Nilsson tinpan alley, but now with healthy dose of T-Rex. Perhaps not as polished as the debut (I did say T-Rex after all) choosing a slightly homemade sound on a few songs, like the opener, Are You Gonna Waste My Time. They even get downright danceable towards the end of the album, with two songs that could've been lifted from an old Of Montreal album. Don't worry, they bring it back down to earth with a little Nilsson on Cool Blue (And The Things You Do) and Harrison-like note bending on Now That I've Got You. The sprawl and diversity alone conjures memories of Nilsson Schmilsson.

Nice description, but I'm having issues getting any of their samples to work. The links you provided gave me a "bad request" error, and the first couple of links on my google search said "unavailable". And I'm in Canada!

Back to the drawing board . . .

Snowbunny
10-12-2012, 04:43 PM
...nearly barfed in my mouth. Sounds like a Journey retread or something. Contrived lyrics and uninteresting, forced melody.

"Blonde hair blowin' in the summer wind
A blue-eyed girl playing in the sand
I'd been on her trail for a little while
But that was the night that she broke down and held my hand
The teenage rush, she said, "Ain't we all just runaways, we got time"
Well that ain't much...
It's the one thing you can choose, oh!

We got engaged on a Friday night
I swore on the head of our unborn child that I could take care of the three of us
But I got the tendency to slip when the nights get wild.
It's in my blood
She says she might just runaway somewhere else, some place good
It's the one thing you can choose

Let's take a chance baby we can't lose
Ain’t we all just runaways?
I knew it when I held you, I wasn't lettin' go

We used to look at the stars and confess our dreams
Hold each other to the morning light
We used to laugh, now we only fight
Baby are you lonesome now?

At night I come home after they go to sleep
Like a stumbling ghost, I haunt these halls
There's a picture of us on our wedding day
I recognize the girl but I can't settle in these walls

Now we're caught up in the appeal, baby why you wanna hide it?
It's the last thing on my mind
(Why you wanna hide it?)
I turn the engine over and my body just comes alive and we all just runaways
I knew it when I held you, I wasn't lettin go, no no no!
(No no no!)
Yeah runaway
Yeah"

If that's indicative of the rest of the record, count me out please! I think I could come up with better lyrics than that crap.

Now we're caught up in the appeal, baby why you wanna hide it? CHEEESY!

But layoff Journey, willya? It was a different time and place, when cheesy lyrics melted hearts. :15:

3LB
10-13-2012, 11:27 AM
...nearly barfed in my mouth. Sounds like a Journey retread or something. Contrived lyrics and uninteresting, forced melody...
If that's indicative of the rest of the record, count me out please! I think I could come up with better lyrics than that crap. more like Ric Ocasik lyrics, but yeah, cheesy and FWIW, typical Killers

3LB
10-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Nice description, but I'm having issues getting any of their samples to work. The links you provided gave me a "bad request" error, and the first couple of links on my google search said "unavailable". And I'm in Canada!

Back to the drawing board . . .

I did those links from my smartphone, so maybe that's the problem

I'll try it from my PC

'Anything You Want Dear' by Zeus - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrRzXN_hdms)
'A Strong Mind' by Zeus - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVUM2ErYQwo)

Snowbunny
10-17-2012, 05:07 PM
I did those links from my smartphone, so maybe that's the problem

I'll try it from my PC

'Anything You Want Dear' by Zeus - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrRzXN_hdms)
'A Strong Mind' by Zeus - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVUM2ErYQwo)

No worries, 3LB. Turns out it was my browser blocking me!