2012 Flagship TV Faceoff [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Flagship TV Faceoff

Smokey
10-07-2012, 08:15 PM
http://content.televisioninfo.com/content/13271/flagship-tv-smaller.jpg

Televisioninfo.com which evaluate TVs in detail, recently did a battle of flagship LCD and Plasma from Samsung, Vizio, Sharp,Toshiba, Panasonic, LG and Sony to see which one get crowned king of TVs. They ran them thru various tests including picture quality, contrast, and motion performance, as well as design, smart features, and 3D performance.

And here is how each TV ranked in terms of performance:

#1. Samsung PN51E8000 ($2,199): This plasma is King of the Flagships for 2012. It made the grade as a top pick or honorable mention in the areas of color, contrast, smart platform, special features, and 3D quality.

#2. Panasonic TC-P65VT50 ($3,699): This plasma is truly an excellent TV, and finishes in a close second place on our list. Its only real drawbacks are its less-than-stellar 3D. Additionally, Panasonic’s smart platform just isn’t as polished as above Samsung’.

#3. Samsung UN55ES8000 ($3,749):Samsung’s LED flagship is just as good as the E8000 plasma in the areas of 3D, special features, and smart platform, but its color, contrast, and motion weren’t of the same high quality.

#4. Sharp Elite PRO-60X5FD ($5,999): Its huge price tag doesn’t buy winning performance in almost all our key areas. The Elite might make your neighbors jealous, but there are better or at least similar-quality HDTVs out there that don’t cost $5,999.

#5. Sony Bravia XBR-46HX929 ($2,500): Sony’s flagship LED is a holdover from 2011, 2012’s flagships make the XBR929 look boring by comparison. Its stunted smart platform, older 3D, and lack of special features put it at a disadvantage, though the picture quality is still great.

#6. Toshiba 47L7200U ($1,899): Toshiba’s flagship features solid color, contrast, and motion performance at a fantastic price. Unfortunately, its smart, 3D, and feature presentations just felt very lackluster compared to more spruced-up flagships.

#7. LG 55LM9600 ($2,999): LG’s flagship is a very solid LED HDTV. It’s got a wonderful smart platform, great (and cheap) 3D, and makes use of the highly intuitive Magic Remote. However, its color and contrast scores just weren’t enough to stand out in this showdown.

#8. VIZIO XVT3D580CM ($2, 799): The CinemaWide LED may be king of 3D, but that is where its reign ends. The CinemaWide simply doesn’t have the color, contrast, or motion performance to make first place, and its smart platform is quite undeveloped.

More detail info:

2012 Flagship TV Showdown - TelevisionInfo.com (http://www.televisioninfo.com/Features/2012-Flagship-TV-Showdown.htm)

Jack in Wilmington
10-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Hey Smoke, it looks like you have the same TV's in first and third posision. The rankings should make Topspeed happy as he just bought a Samsung UN55ES8000 I believe.

I was just at my brother-in-laws in Orlando and he has a 55 inch Samsung LED and the picture was excellent and I asked him if he set it up and he said no the store where he bought it sent out a tech and he spent like an hour adjusting it. Now that's a nice touch.

Smokey
10-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Hey Smoke, it looks like you have the same TV's in first and third posision.

Thanks for correction as I noticed the same thing when posting this thread. It seem to be misprint in the original site too.

I searched their 2012 database reviews, and flagship Samsung plasma they tested is PN51E8000 which recieved a perfect 10 score in performance. So I am assuming that is the Tv that recieved top honors. Also made correction to my post also :)