What can you say about these amplifiers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What can you say about these amplifiers?

Demetrio
09-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Do they sound "bright" or "warm"? (I'm looking for the WARMER sounding amp I can find).

These are the options I have in view at the moment (all them are used, in great condition):

- Arcam A38
- Krell 400XI
- Classé CAP-101
- Marantz PM15S1
- Electrocompaniet PI 2
- Vincent SV226 MkII & SV236 MkII

My favorite genres are ROCK, POP & FUSION and my speakers are Dynaudio Contour 3.0 (floorstanding), so I need one that can be refined and powerful at the same time.

Thanks

blackraven
09-30-2012, 07:26 PM
I would consider the EC Pi-2 Here's a review-

6moons audio reviews: Electrocompaniet PI-2 (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/electrocompaniet/pi2.html)

I like the warmth of Marantz gear but that amp may not have the oomph that you need for you speakers which have a Sensitivity rating of 86dB, especially if you like to listen at louder levels and want good dynamics. The EC should have the warmth,sound and power that you are looking for. I would consider a high current, higher power amp.

I would skip the Arcam and the Krell which has great power and current but it has a cooler more dry sound from what I have read.

The Vincent sv-236MKIII would probably fit your needs and will also have a warmer sound like the Electrocompaniet. It has plenty of power and should fairly dynamic. The Vincent with its 250wpc at 4ohms will give you the flexibility to upgrade to more demanding speakers in the future but both the EC and Vincent would work for your needs.

Poultrygeist
10-04-2012, 02:59 AM
I'd consider a Class D over any of these as they are often characterized by tube like warmth. A Class D could save you some money as well.

I once owned the Classe and found it dry and sterile.