What the hell yellow! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What the hell yellow!

JohnMichael
09-28-2012, 10:11 AM
As many of you know I like things that are French or remind me of Paris. I love yellows and blues together. I decided to hire a painter to paint my walls yellow. We looked at sample colors and between his times in Provence and my visiting Paris we thought we had the perfect yellow. This is what I came home to expecting the place to look like the paint sample we had chosen.

ForeverAutumn
09-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Well it certainly is....cheerful!

JohnMichael
09-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks but I wanted it to look French not French's Mustard.

Feanor
09-28-2012, 11:31 AM
As many of you know I like things that are French or remind me of Paris. I love yellows and blues together. I decided to hire a painter to paint my walls yellow. We looked at sample colors and between his times in Provence and my visiting Paris we thought we had the perfect yellow. This is what I came home to expecting the place to look like the paint sample we had chosen.
Yikes! The yellow is great per se. But really it really doesn't go with your couch or drapes. :yikes:

JohnMichael
09-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Yikes! The yellow is great per se. But really it really doesn't go with your couch or drapes. :yikes:

Because it is not the right yellow! The curtains have two shades of blue and the couch has blue and my two chairs are blue. The right yellow would have been pretty.

ForeverAutumn
09-28-2012, 12:18 PM
What does Corky think of it?

Feanor
09-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Because it is not the right yellow! The curtains have two shades of blue and the couch has blue and my two chairs are blue. The right yellow would have been pretty.
Yes, perhaps. It would need to be a paler, somewhat less saturated yellow. Have to say it: I hate the drapes in any, or maybe it's just the picture.

JohnMichael
09-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Yes, perhaps. It would need to be a paler, somewhat less saturated yellow. Have to say it: I hate the drapes in any, or maybe it's just the picture.

What is your advice great interior decorator? I should mention the curtains look like they have a sheen but that is the effect of the flash.

Feanor
09-28-2012, 04:38 PM
What is your advice great interior decorator? I should mention the curtains look like they have a sheen but that is the effect of the flash.
Now, now, I make no claim to greatness. But the intricate, scroll work design of the drape fabric clashes with the rustic fabric of the couch ... no?

JohnMichael
09-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Now, now, I make no claim to greatness. But the intricate, scroll work design of the drape fabric clashes with the rustic fabric of the couch ... no?

Only until I buy the new settee. This is a work in progress. If I were wealthy sure I could do a room all at once but such is not my lot.

JohnMichael
09-28-2012, 06:48 PM
What does Corky think of it?

I do not think he liked being in his bedroom while someone was in the apartment. When I came home and let him out, while the painter was still there, he was very affectionate and stayed close. I wonder if he thought I was home and ignoring him. I do think the paint smell affected his appetite I know the color affected me.

dean_martin
09-29-2012, 07:23 AM
If you're going to keep that color, I'd suggest crown molding. Even if you change colors later, the crown molding adds elegance and sophistication, but crown molding really, really is almost required for bold wall color (IMO, of course).

ForeverAutumn
09-29-2012, 07:49 AM
If you're going to keep that color, I'd suggest crown molding. Even if you change colors later, the crown molding adds elegance and sophistication, but crown molding really, really is almost required for bold wall color (IMO, of course).

That's a great suggestion.

JohnMichael
09-29-2012, 07:59 AM

I agree with crown molding but that is more I want to get into for a rented apartment.

RoyY51
09-29-2012, 05:27 PM
The problem is this...color is light. You can go to a paint store and look at colors all day long under fluorescent lights and it won't tell you squat about what it's going to look like on your walls, in your lighting. When you hire an interior decorator, do they say: "come on over to my office and we'll pick colors"? Nope! They have to come to your house and see those colors on your wall, in your light. That's why most major paint retailers are now offering 1/2 pint samples for you to try out. You can get a few square feet on the wall, which will really help you home in on that Perfect Color. Don't forget to look at it in the morning, the afternoon and the evening...as the light changes, your perception of the color will change. Better to make a $3.00 mistake than a $25 to $35 one.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Yellows are the trickiest colors to get "right" They have a way of "taking off" on you, usually in the wrong direction. Try going to a lighter, more muted version than what you think you want.

JohnMichael
09-29-2012, 06:22 PM
The problem is this...color is light. You can go to a paint store and look at colors all day long under fluorescent lights and it won't tell you squat about what it's going to look like on your walls, in your lighting. When you hire an interior decorator, do they say: "come on over to my office and we'll pick colors"? Nope! They have to come to your house and see those colors on your wall, in your light. That's why most major paint retailers are now offering 1/2 pint samples for you to try out. You can get a few square feet on the wall, which will really help you home in on that Perfect Color. Don't forget to look at it in the morning, the afternoon and the evening...as the light changes, your perception of the color will change. Better to make a $3.00 mistake than a $25 to $35 one.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Yellow are the trickiest colors to get "right" They have a way of "taking off" on you, usually in the wrong direction. Try going to a lighter, more muted version than what you think you want.

Very good advice and where the hell were you when I needed you. Yes yellow really got away from me. I wish the painter I hired had as much knowledge. I should have chosen the paint independently of him and just had him apply it. Lesson learned and thanks for the information.

RoyY51
09-29-2012, 06:54 PM
My pleasure.

JohnMichael
09-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Well I think I need more light so I am going to switch to the shear curtains. I will also bring out the rug I have used in the past. It has more blues and some yellow. I saw a settee that was beautiful and the right shade of blue but the wrong price at $4,600.

JohnMichael
09-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Here is a new idea I had. I combined my new curtains that I like with my shears for more light.

RGA
09-30-2012, 10:58 PM
I agree crown molding is a must. I like the yellow - furniture and drapes need to somehow match up. Softer colours probably go better with bold wall colours.

Here's a page of room ideas where yellow is prominent

Warm up the season with yellow walls, fabrics and sunny accents (http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/735173)

Feanor
10-01-2012, 03:43 AM
I agree crown molding is a must. I like the yellow - furniture and drapes need to somehow match up. Softer colours probably go better with bold wall colours.

Here's a page of room ideas where yellow is prominent

Warm up the season with yellow walls, fabrics and sunny accents (http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/735173)
There might be simpler alternatives to crown molding. I have seen plan white, embossed wall paper strips, ~6" wide, that would have a similar effect.

I have installed crown molding, and although it doesn't require a lot of technical skill, it is a pain. Transporting, precision cutting, and installing long strips high on the wall is tedious.

Here are a couple of pics -- yes, the walls are yellow :thumbsup: I also installed the wainscotting ...

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/Nikon_001.jpg

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/Hall_w_crown_molding_2_.jpg

JohnMichael
11-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Monday the dining area walls are going to become steel blue. The painter is coming at 8:00 AM to transform my walls. This blue is similar to the light blue in my curtains. I will post a picture or a red X for some.

I have been watching too much HGTV and David Bromstad told me not to be afraid of color. So David hold me and I will not be afraid of color anymore.

JohnMichael
11-05-2012, 07:30 PM
I love yellow and blue.

StevenSurprenant
11-08-2012, 03:43 AM

I only have three words for you... Sunblock SPF 1000

Seriously, it is rather intense, but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

How about a new curtain???

StevenSurprenant
11-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Or how about some strips??

JohnMichael
11-08-2012, 04:27 AM
Or how about some strips??

Nobody has stripped here in ages.

JohnMichael
11-08-2012, 04:29 AM
I only have three words for you... Sunblock SPF 1000

Seriously, it is rather intense, but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

How about a new curtain???

I grew up with too many pastel colors and I like my colors bold and rich. The flash intensified the yellow and with the addition of the blue I find it very beautiful. Oh and I also love my curtains.

StevenSurprenant
11-08-2012, 04:44 AM
I grew up with too many pastel colors and I like my colors bold and rich. The flash intensified the yellow and with the addition of the blue I find it very beautiful. Oh and I also love my curtains.

Understood...

Then it's PERFECT!

BTW, I striped my kitchen wall vertically with 10 inch strips, but I used the same color for both the stripes. I used eggshell for one strip and semigloss for the other which results is subtle stripping that changes according to how the light reflects on it. I like it.

The other thing that I've noticed is that when I take photo's of my rooms, it doesn't look or feel the same as being there.

JohnMichael
11-08-2012, 05:43 AM
Understood...

Then it's PERFECT!

BTW, I striped my kitchen wall vertically with 10 inch strips, but I used the same color for both the stripes. I used eggshell for one strip and semigloss for the other which results is subtle stripping that changes according to how the light reflects on it. I like it.

The other thing that I've noticed is that when I take photo's of my rooms, it doesn't look or feel the same as being there.

Your kitchen sounds very nice. I like that subtle striping. I am limited as what I can do in my apartment. Paint is the safest change since it just needs to be repainted if I move. I am just trying to win the war against beige.

You are right about pictures of a room. The perspective changes with a wide angle lens. I was just bouncing the single flash off the ceiling to light the room. A quick photo instead of a well lit picture for Architectural Digest.

I am somewhat new to interior design. I have more ideas than money to make things happen. I for various reasons did not have the option to decorate or the confidence in my ideas. I am confident I need a new love seat.

JohnMichael
11-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Well I have found what I need for the living room. I have found a settee that I like and it will be covered in red fabric. The red is the one swatch on the left. I wish the fabrics did not hide the slight angle of the back but it should be beautiful in the room.9032

ForeverAutumn
11-22-2012, 09:58 AM
It looks lovely John. Will that replace the existing sofa or be in addition to it?

JohnMichael
11-22-2012, 10:08 AM
It looks lovely John. Will that replace the existing sofa or be in addition to it?

It will replace the loveseat. The back is taller and will work better with the chairs. The seat height is taller so easier to get out of it. Home will be very colorful.

Feanor
11-22-2012, 01:09 PM
It will replace the loveseat. The back is taller and will work better with the chairs. The seat height is taller so easier to get out of it. Home will be very colorful.
Should work well. With due respect, I think it will be a big improvement over the loveseat.

JohnMichael
11-22-2012, 05:47 PM
I think it will look nice. My sister wondered if it would be comfortable, which it is, of course I am much more concerned about design than comfort. If you want comfort go to bed. I think the settee will meet my design aesthetic.

JohnMichael
01-04-2013, 12:31 PM
I began to think about the previous settee and wondered if I wanted three solid color pieces of furniture in one room. I found this one and it may be what I need.

ForeverAutumn
01-04-2013, 01:28 PM
I like that one. I went back and looked at your original picture. I agree that having another solid piece of furniture in there might be a bit too "blocky". And if you went with the red settee you'd be using all the primary colours, which might start to feel a bit harsh after a while. The photo of the settee above is nice and bold, but the stripes will soften the space, I think, and help everything blend together.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Nobody has stripped here in ages.

Then they should see me drop it while it's hot......well lukewarm.

bobsticks
01-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Negative greenies for the visual of that balding pate and smoggy pallor up on the coffee table tooling for dollar bills. I'm clawing at my mind's eye... :biggrin5:

JohnMichael
01-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Negative greenies for the visual of that balding pate and smoggy pallor up on the coffee table tooling for dollar bills. I'm clawing at my mind's eye... :biggrin5:

Hey, hey, hey it has been a long time since this place has seen any excitement. Do not discourage anyone willing to work it.

Ronaldjenkins
02-08-2013, 12:54 AM
As many of you know I like things that are French or remind me of Paris. I love yellows and blues together. I decided to hire a painter to paint my walls yellow. We looked at sample led lighting (http://www.niceledlights.com) colors and between his times in Provence and my visiting Paris we thought we had the perfect yellow. This is what I came home to expecting the place to look like the paint sample we had chosen.
It looks wonderful even I am planning same combination now.

JohnMichael
05-06-2013, 12:31 PM
9351Do I need this lamp?

kushy
05-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Nice lamp.

JohnMichael
04-26-2014, 06:24 PM
In time the yellow has muted a bit and the blue is as beautiful as ever. I have to say that I enjoy the combination everyday. I was reading a design magazine and it said not to be afraid of a shock of color in a small space. I must say I am no longer afraid.

Feanor
04-27-2014, 10:08 AM
In time the yellow has muted a bit and the blue is as beautiful as ever. I have to say that I enjoy the combination everyday. I was reading a design magazine and it said not to be afraid of a shock of color in a small space. I must say I am no longer afraid.

I agree about yellow in small places, JM. Here's a pic of our entry vestibule ...

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/500/medium/Hall_w_crown_molding_2_.jpg

JohnMichael
04-27-2014, 04:16 PM
I agree about yellow in small places, JM. Here's a pic of our entry vestibule ...

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/500/medium/Hall_w_crown_molding_2_.jpg

Very nice. I like your yellow. Rembrandt's "Blue Boy" would look nice in place of the mirror. Of course it might be a little costly.

ArebaKhan
09-14-2022, 08:39 PM
It depends on your jurisdiction, which is a good argument. I have only ever rented in PDX and NYC. The New York state code only permits you to keep the walls' original hue after moving in (if you paint them another color, you have to paint them back to the original when you move out). In Portland, I never looked into it. We also painted our concrete pool and thing I learnt was that before purchasing the paint for concrete pool (https://howtomakebrown.com/paint-for-concrete-pool-deck/), OP should research this.