Def Tech BP10 original speakers versus BP10B [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Def Tech BP10 original speakers versus BP10B

BC Dave
09-28-2012, 08:16 AM
BP 10 versus BP 10B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have any direct experience with both the original BP10 and the BP10B? I have the first series BP10s and am very impressed. But I am curious as to whether the BP10B is a better speaker and if so or if not, why? I had to get one of the Vifa woofers repaired (rubber surround had become unglued and was distorting on loud bass) and I was amazed that such small drivers could produce such deep, tight bass. I have a Mirage BPS-150 sub but I really see no need to use it with the BP10s.

LeRoy
09-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Hi BC Dave, I used to own a pair of BP10's and I never thought I needed a sub with that pair of speakers. I don't recall the 10B's at all and don't follow the Def Tech line of speakers. So, what are you trying to improve on the BP10's? What is your complete system config?

BC Dave
09-30-2012, 09:52 AM
The BP-10Bs are the second generation models, with different drivers (I think made by Def Tech) than the Vifa ones in the originals. I am just curious to hear from someone who has owned both models or listened extensively to both to see if the Bs are better. I'm really happy with my BP10s. I am powering them with a Harman Kardon AVR-20 receiver and using a five disc HK changer. I find the receiver has enough grunt to power them to the levels I listen at and the bass is amazingly deep. I also own a pair of Sound Dynamics reference series 616 which my son is using. I love those speakers too, but I think I prefer the big bipolar sound of the Def Techs.

LeRoy
09-30-2012, 11:14 AM
The BP-10Bs are the second generation models, with different drivers (I think made by Def Tech) than the Vifa ones in the originals.. but I think I prefer the big bipolar sound of the Def Techs.

Ya, the big bi-polar sound with all that bass is easy to get used to. I really used to enjoy the BP10's for H.T. use. I also used to have the Def Tech CLR 1000 but the dang thing was so huge and heavy that I got rid of it because I could never find a shelf unit that could accommodate it and all the rest of the electronics I needed on the shelf too.

Glad to hear your still enjoying the BP10's.