IQ Studio Albums [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : IQ Studio Albums

MasterCylinder
09-27-2012, 04:30 AM
Of the 10 studio releases from IQ over the past 30 years, I own the most recent 5 and have never heard the first 5. I do not own any of the compilations or live albums.

Of those most recent 5 studio albums, I was always of the belief that THE SEVENTH HOUSE was the best effort.............and although I like EVER, SUBTERRANEA, and DARK MATTER, I've been putting in some time lately with FREQUENCY (again). This most recent release from IQ really has some beautiful music.............good composition...............pretty stuff..............and flowing logic.

So, now I'm not so sure about the "best" effort............but I would definitely suggest to anyone exploring IQ music for the first time to buy FREQUENCY and THE SEVENTH HOUSE if they want to hear their better stuff.................both are excellent if you enjoy the so-called "neo-progressive" genre.

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2012, 05:09 AM
I've heard a lot about IQ, but haven't actually heard much of their music. Although I believe that BarryL is a fan.

What other bands would you consider "neo-progressive". If I like ?, I'll like IQ. I never really got into the definitions of all the sub-genres.

MasterCylinder
09-27-2012, 05:15 AM
I've heard a lot about IQ, but haven't actually heard much of their music. Although I believe that BarryL is a fan.

What other bands would you consider "neo-progressive". If I like ?, I'll like IQ. I never really got into the definitions of all the sub-genres.

Well...............these critiques are quite subjective.........and not to start any argument but.............in my opinion, IQ does not "copy" one prog style but are influenced by many............having said that, I find IQ is similar in many ways to Genesis...........the guitarist most clearly has some Hackett going on.

Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid
09-28-2012, 07:54 AM
You will like IQ if you like any of the following:
Arena
Pendragon
Marillion (1984-1995 era)
Jadis

In addition to MasterCylinder's IQ album recommendations, I highly recommend "The Wake". It's a little dated, (80's production), but the music is awesome!

ForeverAutumn
09-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Could be up my alley. I LOVE Arena. Especially the CDs that Rob Sowden did vocals on. John Jowitt and I had a common FB friend and he invited me to be a friend, so we chatted a bit. Super nice guy!

I guess just based on my pseudo friendship with John I should probably check out IQ. :)

MasterCylinder
09-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Could be up my alley. I LOVE Arena. Especially the CDs that Rob Sowden did vocals on. John Jowitt and I had a common FB friend and he invited me to be a friend, so we chatted a bit. Super nice guy!

I guess just based on my pseudo friendship with John I should probably check out IQ. :)

If memory serves (???), Jowitt wrote THE SEVENTH HOUSE which is one of the two best pieces of work from IQ..........good stuff.

If you received the compilation from Troy called POLYMORPHIC PROG, there were a couple of these songs on that disc.

ForeverAutumn
09-28-2012, 11:24 AM
If memory serves (???), Jowitt wrote THE SEVENTH HOUSE which is one of the two best pieces of work from IQ..........good stuff.

If you received the compilation from Troy called POLYMORPHIC PROG, there were a couple of these songs on that disc.

That comp doesn't sound familiar. But I'm pretty sure that BarryL can hook me up with some tunes. Thanks for the recommendation.

3LB
10-03-2012, 02:27 PM
I like several IQ songs from past albums, but as far as albums go, the only one I like is The Seventh House, and its prolly its most devisive album among hardcore fans since its contains some of their most straight forward rock songs and least Genesis/Marillion/Pallas sounding. Front man Peter Nicols is an acquired taste as are his cryptic, winding, tail-chasing lyrics. Everyone raves about the double-disc concept Subterranea, which is their answer to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and just as impenetrable. Seems every album has at least one, maybe two songs I really like while the rest seems to run on into one another.