Green Day - Uno [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Green Day - Uno

ForeverAutumn
09-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Uno is the first in a trilogy of Green Day albums scheduled to be released over the next few months (Dos on November 13, and Tre on January 15).

I’ve only listened to it once but I’m confident in my early assessment of this disk.

I spun this disk in my car on the way to work. I started at a reasonable volume but after the first song realized that this CD was begging to be played at ear-splitting levels. Plus it was SO GOOD that I wanted to share it with everyone stopped near me at the red light. I think they enjoyed it too. :3:

If you’re a fan of earlier Green Day, this CD is for you. This disk is reminiscent of Dookie, Nimrod, and Warning. This is old school, guitar heavy, three-minute ditty Green Day. It rocks HARD. Lots of great crunchy guitar. I’m a huge fan of Tré Cool’s drumming style and he really shines in some of these songs. In fact, if anything, I’d say that my one criticism of this disk is that the mix has understated the drums in a few spots.

Listening to this CD I couldn’t help but think of The Ramones. I’m sure that guys like J will totally disagree with my uneducated ears, but I Wanna Be Sedated or Blitzkrieg Bob would not sound at all out of place on this disk, IMHO.

There is an awful lot of profanity on this disk. I’m not playing it at work and I wouldn’t play it around young kids. I don’t think that there’s one song without **** in it, in some form or another. But I think it’s amazing how a bunch of 40-something men can still write songs that will widely appeal to 15-yr-old boys... And this 40-something woman. :wink5:

As usual, Green Day comes out on top in my books. This album kicks serious ass. If you’re a Green Day fan, don’t miss this one. If you’re just a fan of crunchy guitar, in-your-face drums, hard working rock and roll, you may like this too.

My assessment is apt to change once I’ve listened to this a few times, but on first listen I’m giving it 8 out of 10.

Mr MidFi
09-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Your review has given me reason to give this disc a second chance. Because my first impression was somewhat less favorable than yours.

nobody
09-26-2012, 03:12 PM
I don't think you can avoid the influence of the Ramones for any of the poppy sounding punk bands so I think you're cool with that. For me, Green Day have always sounded more like the Buzzcocks, but you know...same ball park.

Not sure if I will seek this one out, but I certainly won't turn it off if I happen across it.

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Four listens in and I'm still really diggin it. But I have to admit that I don't really hear any standout tracks that I see becoming classic Green Day. There is no Basket Case or Brain Stew on this disk. And if Dos and Tre are of the same feel as Uno, they could be a bit long in the tooth.

I'm still sticking to my 8 out of 10 for now. But time will tell if this one has long-term holding power.

Finch Platte
09-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Is there a song called "Billie Joe Goes To Rehab"?

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Is there a song called "Billie Joe Goes To Rehab"?

:biggrin5: No. But there is one called Loss of Control. Kinda the same thing.