screen and projector combo advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : screen and projector combo advice

lomarica
09-22-2012, 11:59 AM
I am just getting started and want to get a screen and projector in say Nov this year. I have a 63" plasma but want a big screen for movie night.

However I want to keep this simple my idea is to place a manual pull down screen on top of the bridge between my Salamander towers and then place the projector on my coffee table and simply run hdmi on top of the floor to my Oppo player which has dual hdmi outs.

So after the movie I simply put the projector back in the closet, and roll up the screen. I would most likely just leave the screen on top of the bridge if I can mount it properly.

M viewing dist is head is 17 feet from the screen, (that is why the 63"plasma is too small) the coffee table is 10-12 ft. I am thinking a 100" screen would fit but not sure if it would go over my center speaker.

I am not interested in 3D and most watching will be in a dark room. Budget is $3-5000. Ultimately the projector might be built in but it would be nice to move to my rec room for gaming. Any comments appreciated.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-24-2012, 01:06 PM
I am just getting started and want to get a screen and projector in say Nov this year. I have a 63" plasma but want a big screen for movie night.

However I want to keep this simple my idea is to place a manual pull down screen on top of the bridge between my Salamander towers and then place the projector on my coffee table and simply run hdmi on top of the floor to my Oppo player which has dual hdmi outs.

So after the movie I simply put the projector back in the closet, and roll up the screen. I would most likely just leave the screen on top of the bridge if I can mount it properly.

M viewing dist is head is 17 feet from the screen, (that is why the 63"plasma is too small) the coffee table is 10-12 ft. I am thinking a 100" screen would fit but not sure if it would go over my center speaker.

I am not interested in 3D and most watching will be in a dark room. Budget is $3-5000. Ultimately the projector might be built in but it would be nice to move to my rec room for gaming. Any comments appreciated.

There are lots of pretty good projectors in your budget range, and that is good news. Visit Projectorcentral.com they have damn good reviews and prices.

The major problem I see is the varying performance you are going to have by manually setting up a projector with no measuring devices. It will set up differently each day, giving different spec's each day it is set up. This is the advantage of permanently installing a projector - it can be calibrated in place, and forgotten about afterwards. The spec's remain constant and optimized.

If you want a screen to go over the center speaker, it would have to be an acoustically transparent one or you are going to have performance issues with your center speaker.

lomarica
09-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Sir T
what kind of measuring devices are you referring to and how will the projector be set up differently each time? I am thinking the projector would be in the same place each time within a couple inches on the coffee table and the lighting would be close to the same for night viewing..
I assume all the settings can be saved in the projector memory. I have not used a projector yet so maybe I am missing something but that is why I am asking
thanks

jjp735i
09-25-2012, 02:44 AM
I am basicly doing the same thing. I have a 55" tv and surround. I already have my projector for outside movies and wanted to bring it inside. I mounted a 120" screen on the ceiling above my tv so it pulls down right in front of tv and right above my center channel. My center channel is right below the tv angled up. I run my 20 foot hdmi back from the blueray to the projector set up right behind couch on a tall portable table.

I take this done everytime and find it's very easy to calibrate the projector each time seeing that I am within an inch or so with placement. I think as long as your not changing the height of the projector, calibration will be easy. It's just a matter of turning the focus ring for me and distance ring slightly.

It looks like the only thing you need to figure out is a good placement for the center. I'm not sure about having the center behind the screen, I think it would muffle the sound to much.

Enjoy

09-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Sir T
what kind of measuring devices are you referring to and how will the projector be set up differently each time? I am thinking the projector would be in the same place each time within a couple inches on the coffee table and the lighting would be close to the same for night viewing..
I assume all the settings can be saved in the projector memory. I have not used a projector yet so maybe I am missing something but that is why I am asking
thanks

I acknowledge I am pretty specific about the calibration part of all my video systems. So as a sound guy, I hire out to get this done - most educated video installers are better at this than me. One thing I do know is they are pretty specific in optimizing the projector place, and the calibration based on that specific position. When that placement changes even is a subtle fashion, some perimeters of that calibration have changed. You may or not notice these changes as they may be pretty subtle - but subtle changes in the position of the lens versus the screen may effect the convergence of the system. This could effect object sharpness, but without a reference, you may not even notice.

Once again, this is more of my own personal desire for precision, and consistency of that precision.

09-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I mounted a 120" screen on the ceiling above my tv so it pulls down right inmatter of turning the focus ring for me and distance ring slightly.

My only concern with this is that your eye becomes the reference for focus, as opposed to a highly accurate calibration software and eyes to touch things up.

It looks like the only thing you need to figure out is a good placement for the center. I'm not sure about having the center behind the screen, I think it would muffle the sound to much.

Enjoy

With today's woven screens, the performance of the center speaker is not effected at all. You don't want to put a center speaker behind a solid screen, that would create a huge acoustical problem.

lomarica
09-25-2012, 07:11 PM
ok I think I got my answer, what I propose will work based on jjp's experience but Sir T has concerns if it is to a true high end calibrated system such as what he uses it would not be calibrated to the highest level. I think I will end up with the screen just above my center speaker so I don't think that will be an issue.
So I think I will do my homework and move forward.
thanks so much will make another post as I get closer and hopefully seal the deal