Califone Roomsound on vinyl [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Califone Roomsound on vinyl

Davey
09-21-2012, 05:28 PM
One of those albums that has become part of my personality over the last 10 years. It's got a sound that was made for vinyl, and finally, thought it would never happen, but just got an email today and it's almost here, so jumped over to Thrill Jockey and got my order in. Can't wait, this one probably won't stick around very long, the CD even went OOP for quite awhile. Snooze, ya looze.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 11:00 AM
To: orders@thrilljockey.com
Subject: Califone "Roomsound" now available on vinyl!

Hello! Since you've purchased music from Califone from us in the past, we
thought you'd like to know that we are offering Roomsound on vinyl for the
very first time as part of our ongoing 20th Anniversary celebration.

Califone - Roomsound
LP w/ silk-screened jacket - $16.00

Roomsound is presented in a deluxe custom silk-screened jacket with an art-
worked inner sleeve and free download coupon. Photos cannot do this jacket
justice! The metallic silkscreen is simply gorgeous -- to finally see this artwork in
the LP format is really a dream come true for all of us here at Thrill Jockey. This
one is gonna go fast.

This is a pre-order for October 16th street date.

This debut full length from Califone certainly is an album that needs little introduction
for Thrill Jockey fans. Originally released on CD in April of 2001 by Perishable, it was
re-issued on CD only in 2006 by Thrill Jockey. Roomsound covers the same rustic,
slightly ramshackle back forty that Tim Rutili had been ploughing through since his
previous band Red Red Meat, but Roomsound is perhaps the most vividly colored,
luring crop of songs Rutili has ever harvested. This is a hauntingly unique and
distinctive record of crafted and sculpted beauty.

Roomsound has an ethereal, soothing quality to it equally at home on your turntable,
or with the free download coupon, in your car on a roadtrip. No one does country-
blues picking and autumnal backwoods melodies interspersed with splashes of
electronic tone color, obsolete keyboards and off-kilter percussion like Califone.

Over the past eleven years, this is a record that has become as seminal and well-loved
as any in the Thrill Jockey catalog.

-- Thrill Jockey Mailorder PO Box 08038 Chicago, IL 60608

Califone Roomsound at Thrill Jockey (http://thrilljockey.com/thrill/Califone/Roomsound)

jonnyhambone
09-21-2012, 07:05 PM
great. another $20 I'll never see again...
thanks for the heads up though...probably my fave Califone, and that's saying something. I'm in the middle of finishing the basement of my new house and including a sweet listening-type spot and building some vinyl storage into the walls, this should arrive close to completion time. As good a 'new set-up kick-off album' as any...

audiobill
09-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Funny you should mention this. Sunday morning - what was spinning in our house? Califone's Roomsound on CD. I must say, you were the guy who put me onto this many years ago, Davey. It, certainly, keeps me listening time and time again. This morning it's enhancing my cup of bold java as I was rambling through the morning weekend editions.

Great album - a classic that just keeps giving. Warmth of vinyl would be worth the 20 bucks.