Batteries: Name-brand vs. generic [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Batteries: Name-brand vs. generic

Smokey
09-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Dealnews.com brought a collection of different AA batteries to the Worcester Polytechnic Institute and asked if they could test to find out whether there's any real difference between brand-name and generic batteries.

The answer is that you're better off buying less expensive batteries, such as Rayovac or generics, or getting regular Energizer or Duracells on sale, because our exclusive tests show there is no measurable difference in quality among these batteries. That's right, none. So just buy whatever is on sale.

But there was one exception: The Energizer Advanced Lithium battery. Not only did that particular battery push out far more initial voltage than the others — when it finally corrected down to the expected 1.5 volts, it kept going and going and going like the Bunny in the commercial. However it cost four times than lowest price battery ($1.42 vs. 42 cents each).

The batteries that was tested were Duracell Ultra Advanced, Duracell Coppertop, a generic battery, Energizer Advanced Lithium, Energizer Max and Rayovac. All were measured for their initial voltage and how much energy they lost over 19 hours of constant use.

http://s31.dlnws.com/files/battery_graph_1.png

http://s31.dlnws.com/files/battery_graph_2.png

Test Results That Will Change the Way You Buy Batteries Forever (http://dealnews.com/features/Test-Results-That-Will-Change-the-Way-You-Buy-Batteries-Forever/449005.html)

JohnMichael
09-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Some photo equipment warns against the Lithiums due to the higher initial voltage. I always bought Energizer or Duracell batteries for my flashes. Once the recycle time increased beyond a length of time I would replace them. They still had life in them but I needed fast recycle times. That is the reason I never purchased a higher grade of batteries.

Varta is one brand of generic battteries I have had very good service.

Smokey
09-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Some photo equipment warns against the Lithiums due to the higher initial voltage.

Good point. I imagine the higher initial voltage would not be too good for sensetive equipments also as the article does give a warning about it. If I need batteries, usually buy Walgreens brand since most other brands seem tio come in a bulk. Who is going to need 8 batteries at a time :)

GMichael
09-17-2012, 05:39 AM
I usually buy the cheapest batteries available that are alkaline. Amazon has some great deals with no freight on a few off-brands. A box of 10 (or so) of most sizes saves me from having to run out to a store every time I need one.

RoyY51
09-17-2012, 05:42 AM
I saw an interesting utube video a while back. It showed a guy prying the top off a squarish 6-volt battery to reveal 24 (I think) AA batteries. He snipped off the leads going to the terminals and had 2 dozen batteries for around 5 bucks! He claimed that the batteries were identical to mass-marketed brands and, obviously, were a lot more cost-effective. The only thing you don't get is the pretty label.

RoyY51
09-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Never mind, guys...upon further investigation this has been shown to be a hoax. There's 4 large cylinder thingies in there, not AA batteries. Next time, I'll do a little more research before I post.

Mr Peabody
09-18-2012, 01:54 PM
thanks for posting the correction