What I've been watching... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What I've been watching...

Worf101
09-14-2012, 09:20 AM
It's been a while so I thought I'd make out with some reviews.

"Sarah's Key" - B+ - This was a great film that should've been 20 minutes shorter, we did not need the semi-happy H'wood ending. Before that though we had one helluva movie. I recommend!

"Chronicle" - B - Better than average Sci-Fi. Sappy origin of how they got their powers but pretty intriguing treatise on absolute power corrupting absolutely. There's aloways one guy who fecks it up for everyone.

"Moneyball" - B - I guess I'm on a roll lately, lots of good to great films. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are perfect in this "Mutt and Jeff" true story about baseball on the cheap. Best enjoyed if you know or like baseball but still and good and engaging yarn.

Drive - C+ - Basically a line for line re-working of "Shane" set it modern times with no Jack Palance to balance it out. You never learn his name just what he does which is DRIVE. An effective action thriller with a decent soundtrack by Tangerine Dream if I'm not mistaken.

Alfred Nobbs" - C+ - This all to obvious tale of Victorian era gender bending is decent but nothing for me to write home about. I'm sure it speaks more to women than to men, "Yentil" without the songs or the schnoz!

"The Ides of March" - A-Minus - An overlooked gem from Mr. Clooney last year. I thought "The Decendents" was overipe, over-obvious twaddle, this film is like a Versuvius in Kansas. It shows in so many way the fatally flawed way we pick our Presidents and the how folks will do ANYTHING to win. Well played, well done.

Carnage - C-minus - Nowhere near as bright, funny or entertaining as it pretends to be. Great cast wasted on a mediocre script and tepid direction. As the minutes creep by you learn to hate these people with all that is in you. You just wish to commit violent crimes on whoever was responsible for this steaming pile of arse gravy.

My Week with Marilyn - A-Minus - Beautifully scripted, wonderfully cast and directed this film shines a bright light on the troubled lengend that was/is Marilyn. I personally could see how the same ride that got her finally caught up with Michael Jackson as well. Great film.

Welp, time to get back to work...

Worf

Feanor
09-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks, Worfster: ever the avid movie viewer. Lots I haven't seen, so ...

"Moneyball" - B - I guess I'm on a roll lately, lots of good to great films. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are perfect in this "Mutt and Jeff" true story about baseball on the cheap. Best enjoyed if you know or like baseball but still and good and engaging yarn. ...
Based on the Michael Lewis book. My rating 4/5*

"The Ides of March" - A-Minus - An overlooked gem from Mr. Clooney last year. I thought "The Decendents" was overipe, over-obvious twaddle, this film is like a Versuvius in Kansas. It shows in so many way the fatally flawed way we pick our Presidents and the how folks will do ANYTHING to win. Well played, well done...
Meh: a bit predictable. 3.5/5*

recoveryone
10-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Blu Ray titles

Prometheus: Great cinematography, the opening scenes are jaw dropping as the camera fly over the landscape. The story is a prequel of the Alien series, but one big hole is the lack of communication between the group and the last founder/Earth visitor. Very good blu ray

Back to the Future: Old classic fun movie, blu ray transfer is very good, almost too good as it shows the poor makeup job on (Doc Brown) and The schools Principals. Thompson never like better (Marty's' Mom).

Avengers: Fun fun fun and a nice tie in movie to bring the others together Blu ray is very good

Snow white and the Huntsman: A nice transition from the Disney version to a more adult looking story, I was surprised that It kept my interest. I was hoping for a little butt kicking from Snowwhite, but oh well.