New phono cartridge? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New phono cartridge?

StevenSurprenant
09-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Just received my Turntable (Denon DP 61F) and it looks brand new which is amazing for a 25 year old table. However, it could sound better. It has a Shure TXE-SR Tracer cartridge which, I believe is part of the problem. Also my preamp in my receiver could be better.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Audio Technica AT120E?

Also, does any know of a phono preamp that outputs digital. There are many that output digital through a USB connection, but that doesn't work for me because my preamp only accepts coax or optical.

I would appreciate any suggestions on these two issues.

Thanks

02audionoob
09-14-2012, 04:11 AM
A device that converts analog to digital, only to be converted back to analog by your preamp is causing two conversions.. Do you have a way to keep it analog the whole way?

The AT cartridge is good in its price range. It's hard to go wrong with Nagaoka at a similar price. Nagaoka leans a little warmer, which some people enjoy.

StevenSurprenant
09-14-2012, 05:43 AM
A device that converts analog to digital, only to be converted back to analog by your preamp is causing two conversions.. Do you have a way to keep it analog the whole way?

The AT cartridge is good in its price range. It's hard to go wrong with Nagaoka at a similar price. Nagaoka leans a little warmer, which some people enjoy.

Thanks, I was hoping to hear something positive. Perhaps later I'll look at something higher end?

BTW, one poster said that the cartridge I have is a rebadged Shure V15 Type IV. I don't know.

Of the records I bought two sounded fairly decent and I can see what people mean about records sounding better. It seems to have a way of better separating and delineating everything on the soundstage. I also hear more detail such as strings sounding more vibrant. Also the higher frequencies seem better (more defined) too.

As for keeping is analog all the way, this is how I am running it now. I bought an ART Phono USB Plus preamp which seems pretty decent. It's dead quite and the clarity is quite surprising, plus it gives me that ability to increase it's output. This I run direct into my Trends TA 10.1 amp. I wanted digital so I could input it into my Emotive digital preamp, giving me the ability to switch sources and have remote volume control.

BTW, the Trends amp is a very good match for my home brew speakers and there is a certain amount of bragging rights to a complete (decent) system that you can hold in your hand.

I'm going to go with the Audio Technica cart and for now I think I'll stick with the ART. I'll continue my search for an ADC and hope I can find one that doesn't degrade the sound.

Thanks again

frenchmon
09-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks, I was hoping to hear something positive. Perhaps later I'll look at something higher end?

BTW, one poster said that the cartridge I have is a rebadged Shure V15 Type IV. I don't know.

Of the records I bought two sounded fairly decent and I can see what people mean about records sounding better. It seems to have a way of better separating and delineating everything on the soundstage. I also hear more detail such as strings sounding more vibrant. Also the higher frequencies seem better (more defined) too.

As for keeping is analog all the way, this is how I am running it now. I bought an ART Phono USB Plus preamp which seems pretty decent. It's dead quite and the clarity is quite surprising, plus it gives me that ability to increase it's output. This I run direct into my Trends TA 10.1 amp. I wanted digital so I could input it into my Emotive digital preamp, giving me the ability to switch sources and have remote volume control.

BTW, the Trends amp is a very good match for my home brew speakers and there is a certain amount of bragging rights to a complete (decent) system that you can hold in your hand.

I'm going to go with the Audio Technica cart and for now I think I'll stick with the ART. I'll continue my search for an ADC and hope I can find one that doesn't degrade the sound.

Thanks again

there's has been a lot of positive talk about the Art phono stage at others forums....And just think...if you can hear the difference in your budget setup, just think what it will be like if you decided to put a little more loot into your vinyl experience. Vinyl is smoother....and more natural sounding than Digital with a proper setup in my opinion.

StevenSurprenant
09-15-2012, 02:32 AM
there's has been a lot of positive talk about the Art phono stage at others forums....And just think...if you can hear the difference in your budget setup, just think what it will be like if you decided to put a little more loot into your vinyl experience. Vinyl is smoother....and more natural sounding than Digital with a proper setup in my opinion.

I just checked the forums for the ART and it was surprising to learn that some people are selling off their pricier phono stages in favor of the ART.

It's a funny thing about the sound of records. So far, my best CD's sound better than what I've heard on my TT, but at the same time, certain aspects of the sound of records is much better than any CD. To me, it seems that records produce more air between instruments which create a more 3D soundstage. It's not subtle either.

02audionoob - The reason I decide to go with the Audio Technica is because I've owned one (not this one) before and I liked it, plus it has an upgrade path for the stylist. In addition, I was listening to some utube videos comparing an AT cartridge to a Shure and one thing that stood out was the bass. For instance, I could follow the bass llines of a bass guitar better with the AT. The Shure was warmer sounding, but the bass wasn't as defined. I'm sure the Nagaoka is a good cartridge too, but I had to go with what I'm familiar with. Thanks.