Can't stop listening to Cat Power [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop listening to Cat Power

Jim Clark
09-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Never been her biggest fan but this indietronic laden gem has me mesmerized. Need to get Calexico some spins but I haven't found a way to listen to 2 albums at the same time.

jc

Finch Platte
09-13-2012, 12:39 PM
http://glasshouseimages.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/tumblr_m9tanikm8d1qd89d4o1_1280.jpg?w=450&h=562

Jim Clark
09-14-2012, 05:00 AM
She can sing and play sh!t too.

I think some of her hardcore fans might not dig what is most likely an overproduced album based on what I've heard from her in the past
. It's not raw -it's hooked up. Of course that's usually not a problem for me.

Davey
09-14-2012, 07:44 AM
I think some of her hardcore fans might not dig what is most likely an overproduced album based on what I've heard from her in the past.

Yea, I like it a lot, but I have read many extremely negative comments about it from some of her fans, mostly regarding the beat box backings and semi-rap delivery in some of the songs. It's actually a pretty adventurous record overall, and admittedly I didn't like it all that much at first myself, but my reaction was mainly to the bad sound and pumped up bass on the MP3. Turns out the CD sounds just the same with lots of heavy compression, clipping, and exaggerated bass. Oh well, reports have the vinyl sounding far better.

Love "Manhattan" big time, that might be the most surprising one for me, with just the beat box and toy piano synth backing, the occasional real (I think) drum flurry way in the background, and her multi-tracked voice guiding the way. Like most of her music, it doesn't say much, but I love the way she says it.

No, it isn't gonna replace Moon Pix and You Are Free as one of my favorites, but lots to like. It's still a shame that the CD sounds so bad. I'm sure Chan is responsible for some of it, especially regarding the production choices, but I doubt she had much (if any) of a hand in the CD mastering.

Off topic, but have you heard the new one from Django Django? Don't know if it got a US release yet, but it's some fun stuff. Mentioned it in another thread, but it's got some of that Super Furry Animals indietronica charm. Slosh would probably enjoy it too.

Jim Clark
09-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Yea, I like it a lot, but I have read many extremely negative comments about it from some of her fans, mostly regarding the beat box backings and semi-rap delivery in some of the songs. It's actually a pretty adventurous record overall, and admittedly I didn't like it all that much at first myself, but my reaction was mainly to the bad sound and pumped up bass on the MP3. Turns out the CD sounds just the same with lots of heavy compression, clipping, and exaggerated bass. Oh well, reports have the vinyl sounding far better.

Love "Manhattan" big time, that might be the most surprising one for me, with just the beat box and toy piano synth backing, the occasional real (I think) drum flurry way in the background, and her multi-tracked voice guiding the way. Like most of her music, it doesn't say much, but I love the way she says it.

No, it isn't gonna replace Moon Pix and You Are Free as one of my favorites, but lots to like. It's still a shame that the CD sounds so bad. I'm sure Chan is responsible for some of it, especially regarding the production choices, but I doubt she had much (if any) of a hand in the CD mastering.

Off topic, but have you heard the new one from Django Django? Don't know if it got a US release yet, but it's some fun stuff. Mentioned it in another thread, but it's got some of that Super Furry Animals indietronica charm. Slosh would probably enjoy it too.

Yeah, I have that one and liked it quite a bit. Similar feel to something like the Drums or even The Dodos. Mainly focused on fun with an almost video game sound track sound. Feel good music and lord knows I like to feel good!

Davey
09-15-2012, 10:33 AM

Sample of "Manhattan" from both the CD and LP at song of the day, both sampled at 16/44.1 ...

Swish
09-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I like it a lot.

:D Sorry, buddy, but I couldn't resist.

Davey
09-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Fixed.

Yeah, I like it a lot.
:D Sorry, buddy, but I couldn't resist.

Yea, I know, you and Finchy, too many words and you get a headache, I get it. At least they were mostly in the right order this time :)

NP: Psychic TV - Dreams Less Sweet (been meaning to check this out ever since hearing the amazing "The Orchids" cover on Califone's Roots & Crowns. Very strange ... but maybe in a good way, don't know yet :))

blackraven
09-23-2012, 05:58 PM
I have a couple of her CD's. She has a nice voice, easy to listen too.

Snowbunny
10-07-2012, 11:01 AM
According to Wiki - We Are Free only made it to 105th on the US charts, and Sun has made it to 10th on the same chart.

Haven't heard anything from it yet, but I'm intrigued by Jim and Davey's reviews.

There's a new band right now (going blank on the name) that features a woman who does a bit of what might be called "rapping", and I've liked what I've heard.

I'll look for some samples, but I hope Chan isn't changing for the sake of mainstream popularity.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canucks! With daily temps in excess of 25 C, it sure doesn't feel like autumn . . .

Swish
10-08-2012, 03:31 AM
According to Wiki - We Are Free only made it to 105th on the US charts, and Sun has made it to 10th on the same chart.

Haven't heard anything from it yet, but I'm intrigued by Jim and Davey's reviews.

There's a new band right now (going blank on the name) that features a woman who does a bit of what might be called "rapping", and I've liked what I've heard.

I'll look for some samples, but I hope Chan isn't changing for the sake of mainstream popularity.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canucks! With daily temps in excess of 25 C, it sure doesn't feel like autumn . . .

...that we're planning a trip to NOLA in the spring of 2014. Mark your calendar. :smile5:

StevenSurprenant
10-08-2012, 06:08 AM
I want to live in a world where chickens can cross the road without having there motives questioned.

Now that's funny!

Snowbunny
10-08-2012, 08:57 AM
...that we're planning a trip to NOLA in the spring of 2014. Mark your calendar. :smile5:

:cornut:

I don't think I mentioned that I recently decided to make a career change, and I now work for the Mounties.

Don't yet have the same freedom with vacation planning, but as soon as January hits, I will start doing the research!

Is there a website up for it yet?

Snowbuns

Snowbunny
10-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Now that's funny!

As Smokey said, I second that emotion! :smilewinkgrin:

Snowbunny
10-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Could Sun be Cat Power's most commercial album?

It appears in the Number 10 position on the Top Album chart listed in my tv guide.

Of course, there's no reference as to whose chart they are referencing - but the album seems to be getting positive reviews across the board.