Brian Bromberg plays Jimi Hendrix [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Brian Bromberg plays Jimi Hendrix

Hyfi
09-13-2012, 08:46 AM
First off, Thanks to Mr Peabody for emailing me the Amazon link and samples for this one.

Brian Bromberg is more known for his Smooth Jazz bass, both acoustic and electric so this was a big surprise for me. After listening to the short samples, I downloaded an evaluation copy and shortly after that ordered the real disk.

This is freaking incredible and just today I realized that there are ONLY Bass and Drums on this disk and no real guitar.

So it is Bromberg with a drummer named Vinnie Colaiuta.

Bromberg lays down the normal bass, then some lead bass and then all the vocals are interpreted with, you guessed it, bass. Then there is this soaring guitar work that is not intended to be exact copies of Jimi, but rather a nice interpretation. But again, it is all bass. Piccolo basses tuned to the register of a guitar. I would have never guessed that one could get a bass to sound so much like a real electric guitar.

As each song progresses, I got deeper involved and didn't want it to end, but then the next track is just as good and continues to draw you in.

This disk is for anyone who likes Hedrix music, specially if you are tired of all the same old versions you have been listening to since the 60s.

This is from Audiophile Imports

"PLAYS JIMI HENDRIX

2010 release. Japan only release. After tributes to Antonio Carlos Jobim and Jaco Pastorius, bassist Brian Bromberg with the incomparable Vinnie Colaiuta on drums play a ’killer’ testimonial to the legendary guitarist Jimi Hendrix. As explained by Bromberg in the liner notes: There are no guitars on the recording! All guitar sounding tracks are played on piccolo basses. The piccolo basses used on this recording are traditional basses that are tuned to the register of a guitar. These instruments have the same 34” scale string length and string spacing as a regular 4 string bass guitar. All of the guitar sounding melodies and solos were played with traditional bass finger technique. There were no picks used on any of the melody of solo parts. Tracks include: “Fire”, “Manic Depression”, “The Wind Cries Mary”, “Voodoo Chile”, “Freedom”, “All Along The Watch Tower”, “Foxey Lady”, “Hey Joe”, “Crosstown Traffic”, “Spanish Castle Magic” & “Purple Haze”. Brian Bromberg, wood bass, electric bass, piccolo bass; Vinnie Colaiuta, drums. "

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_493smFWK44o/TI4sujtwSCI/AAAAAAAAA8Q/PWleM16Y5zU/a155.jpg

Finch Platte
09-13-2012, 08:52 AM
First it is Bromberg with a drummer named Vinnie Colaiuta. [IMG]

Ooh, my favorite drummer. This I wanna hear!

Check yer pms. Wait, that looks weird without an apostrophe. Check yer pm's. :hand:

Hyfi
09-13-2012, 09:26 AM

Check yer pms. Wait, that looks weird without an apostrophe. Check yer pm's. :hand:

I was unaware of this drummer but he kicks it for sure but I NEVER knew Bromberg could play like Claypool, Clarke, Sheehan and so on.

Since this thread will be lost on all the Spoon fed American Idiot indy guys, I really posted it for you anyway.

Cheers!

Hyfi
09-13-2012, 09:53 AM

I do know that guy from the Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scotts DVD.

MasterCylinder
09-13-2012, 01:15 PM
I was unaware of this drummer but he kicks it for sure

Vinnie has been around for a number of years..............very hot player !

Thanks for the tip...........just ordered this CD on the web.

Finch Platte
09-30-2012, 06:34 AM
Wow. All I can say is wow. Well, I could say like you do

freaking incredible
I cannot believe I haven't heard of this guy. He's got more discs out than Jesus, and I've never heard of him.

The only thing that surprised me was coming back to this post and seeing again that Vinnie plays drums on this (I know, short memory). After hearing the disc a couple of times I thought the drummer wasn't quite up to par with Bromberg, as some of his little solo fills seemed bobbled. Colaiuta's playing with a lesser intensity than I've heard on other recordings, maybe to keep from overshadowing Bromberg. I'll listen again and come back to edit this bit I'm sure. :D

But yeah, just incredible. Thanks for sending this along, and the Niacin is pretty damn good (and sounds great), along with the Bromberg catalog. Much appreciated.

Your discs are in the mail, slow boat. You'll have to sign for them, hope someone will be home.

Demetrio
09-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Hey, Hyfi, does it sound good, I mean, with no compression?

Regards,
Demetrio.

Hyfi
10-01-2012, 03:00 AM
Hey D, Can't say just how heavily it may be compressed but keep in mind that he is a smooth jazz bassist, and most of that genre is recorded very well.

Hyfi
10-01-2012, 03:02 AM
Wow. All I can say is wow. Well, I could say like you do

I cannot believe I haven't heard of this guy. He's got more discs out than Jesus, and I've never heard of him.

The only thing that surprised me was coming back to this post and seeing again that Vinnie plays drums on this (I know, short memory). After hearing the disc a couple of times I thought the drummer wasn't quite up to par with Bromberg, as some of his little solo fills seemed bobbled. Colaiuta's playing with a lesser intensity than I've heard on other recordings, maybe to keep from overshadowing Bromberg. I'll listen again and come back to edit this bit I'm sure. :D

But yeah, just incredible. Thanks for sending this along, and the Niacin is pretty damn good (and sounds great), along with the Bromberg catalog. Much appreciated.

Your discs are in the mail, slow boat. You'll have to sign for them, hope someone will be home.

Glad you are diggin it. The Metal and Jaco disks are real nice and there is a gem or two hidden within the other 20 disks where he plays a similar style.

Finch Platte
10-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Glad you are diggin it. The Metal and Jaco disks are real nice and there is a gem or two hidden within the other 20 disks where he plays a similar style.

Found the Hendrix one at the local record store, used. Jumped on that sheee!

Grabbed it so quick I forgot to look at the other Bromberg disc they had (note I said disc. He's got over 20 discs out & they had 2??? Oh well, it was the one that counted). :yesnod:

Hyfi
10-01-2012, 08:44 AM
I can't believe he got by me all these years too. I think I kept confusing him with David Bromberg

Finch Platte
04-22-2014, 05:26 PM
Still digging the flock out of that live Niacin. Do they have any studio discs out?

Hyfi
04-23-2014, 03:16 AM
Still digging the flock out of that live Niacin. Do they have any studio discs out?

You know I am trying not to post here but you forced me to reply.....

Albums

Niacin (1996)
Live (1997)
High Bias (1998)
Live! Blood, Sweat & Beers (2000)
Deep (2000)
Time Crunch (2001)
Organik (2005)
Krush (2013)

Finch Platte
04-23-2014, 04:54 AM
You know I am trying not to post here but you forced me to reply.....

Albums

Niacin (1996)
Live (1997)
High Bias (1998)
Live! Blood, Sweat & Beers (2000)
Deep (2000)
Time Crunch (2001)
Organik (2005)
Krush (2013)

Damn, gonna have to git me summadat.

Hyfi
04-23-2014, 05:12 AM
Damn, gonna have to git me summadat.

I think I have them all in digital format, I can send that and a few other things if you like.

Finch Platte
04-23-2014, 07:43 AM
I think I have them all in digital format, I can send that and a few other things if you like.

Oh, hell yeah.

Thanks!

Finch Platte
04-23-2014, 02:21 PM
I've hated Dennis Chambers (drums) ever since he overplayed on Steely Dan's Alive disc, but gottdamm, with Niacin, he blows the skins off them drums with an almighty power and precision.

Whoever picked him to play on that Dan disc
was shopping in the wrong aisle.

Hyfi
04-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Oh, hell yeah.

Thanks!

Gotcha covered

He does some kickass drummin with Carl Filipiak and his own Pearl Demo disk, but I sent you all that years ago.

Finch Platte
03-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Thanks, mang, and welcome to the music graveyard, where posters run away before they die.

Hyfi
03-03-2015, 07:56 AM
Thanks Blabber! I would have enjoyed this much more during my Smooth Jazz phase a few years back but like what I hear.

Finch Platte
03-10-2015, 04:28 PM
Dennis Chambers is playing drums on a Gary Willis (bass, Tribal Tech) CD I found in the cutout bins yesterday, named No Sweat. He is at his best, very dynamic. Most of the problem I have with him is that he's just too heavy-handed, playing as fast as he can.

Hyfi
03-11-2015, 02:56 AM
Dennis Chambers is playing drums on a Gary Willis (bass, Tribal Tech) CD I found in the cutout bins yesterday, named No Sweat. He is at his best, very dynamic. Most of the problem I have with him is that he's just too heavy-handed, playing as fast as he can.

He is a Rock Drummer in Jazz Fusion Clothing

Finch Platte
03-11-2015, 02:49 PM
He is a Rock Drummer in Jazz Fusion Clothing

Not sure I'd want to see those clothes, but, yeah.

Any truth to the rumor that he's going to be touring/playing with Willie Nelson?