And on bass, Tal Wilkenfield! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : And on bass, Tal Wilkenfield!

Finch Platte
09-08-2012, 08:55 AM
I was first introduced to this bass-playing cutie when I got the live Jeff Beck DVD from Ronnie Scott's, so when I saw her solo disc Transformation, released in 2007, I snagged it. It's not too shabby, a nice blend of rock, jazz & fusion. I think I'll call it rojasion. Joozion? :prrr:

Born in Sydney Australia, Tal first picked up guitar at age 14, and switched to the bass guitar 3 years later. After playing bass for only a few months, Roger Sadowsky heard Tal, and offered her an endorsement with Sadowsky guitars. Very quickly, Tal started performing as a sideman and bandleader, and started working towards the recording of her debut album, “Transformation”, which she recorded at the tender age of 20. As well as playing bass, Tal also composed, arranged, and produced the album, which features Wayne Krantz, Geoffrey Keezer, Keith Carlock and Seamus Blake.

That same year, she appeared as a guest with the Allman Brothers Band, and taught a clinic at bass day 06. When she was 21, Tal accompanied Chick Corea on his tour of Australia (with Frank Gambale and Antonio Sanchez), and Jeff Beck on his European Summer Tour (with Vinnie Colaiuta and Jason Rebello). The Beck tour culminated at Eric Clapton’s Crossroads Festival, where Jeff featured Tal with a blistering solo on “Cause We’ve Ended as Lovers” that many regard as one of the highlights of the show. Since then, Tal has played with many other greats, including Eric Clapton, Herbie Hancock, Joss Stone, Wayne Shorter, the Wayne Krantz Trio, Imogen Heap, and Corinnie Bailey Ray, and has been voted as “The Years Most Exciting New Player” in Bass Players 2008 Readers Choice Awards.

Artist: Tal Wilkenfeld
Album: Transformation
Label: As Is
Released: May 14, 2007
Style: Jazz-Funk / Fusion
Tracks: 7

Track list:
1. BC (6:20)
2. Cosmic Joke (6:24)
3. Truth Be Told (6:39)
4. Serendipity (5:01)
5. The River Of Life (7:42)
6. Oatmeal Bandage (7:52)
7. Table For One (8:30)

Check it out here. (http://ge.tt/40hHZNN/v/0)

http://www.israbox.com/uploads/posts/2010-03/1269430462_tal-wilkenfeld-transformation-2007.jpg

Hyfi
09-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Dood, where ya been? I have been singing her praises since that disc came out.

Good stuff for sure and a good reminder for those who didn't listen up the first time.

Finch Platte
09-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Dood, where ya been? I have been singing her praises since that disc came out.

Good stuff for sure and a good reminder for those who didn't listen up the first time.

Damn, sorry I missed it the first time.

So, two guys liking the disc, posting about it, over 80 views on this post and no one else is going to listen to it or comment?

Not even a pity post? :prrr:

Hyfi
09-11-2012, 10:06 AM
You know the crowd here, if the band name is not something stupid like Spoon or Flaming Lips, it gets passed over.

I have the Ronnie Scotts DVD as well as all the Crossroads segments with Tal and Beck.

Althought the mentioned disk is really good there is nothing over the top special about it besides the fact that Tal wrote, arranged and put this disk together when she was about 20. Oh yeah, just saw this above

I would like to see Tal and Julie Slick collaborate with SMV making it SMVST

Hyfi
09-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Here is a link to my first Tal post from 2007

http://forums.audioreview.com/rave-recordings/anyone-diggin-tal-wilkenfeld-25418.html

Jack in Wilmington
09-11-2012, 01:07 PM
I've watched the Ronnie Scott concert many times on Palladia and I always enjoy it. She always looks like she is really enjoying herself and not just playing.