Just starting out. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out.

lbhkilla
04-18-2004, 11:38 PM
I am just starting out in this HT stuff. I don't have much money right now, and don't think my budget will be getting to much bigger in the future. I have been looking around and have noticed a pretty nasty bias against Fluance, which I had been looking into. I was thinking about getting them, but having no way of hearing them I pretty hesitant. If anyone in here has heard them I would love to know how they sound, but if you are just speculating I have seen plenty of that already ;) Now I have looked into a few more brands. The Polk R series is in about my price range, as is the Celestion S series. If anyone has heard either of these I would like to know their opinion. Best Buy has the Celestions, so I think I might go there and see them, I think Circuit City and American has Polks. With the Celestion and Polk models I was thinking of getting the fronts and back for now and using a virtual center until I have money for that and a sub. I can put down about $400 right now. I also haven't heard anything about sony speakers, but from the bad things I have heard about their recievers I guess Im not thinking they are the greatest. Now keep in mind I don't need the greatest thing here, I just want something to watch some movies and listen to some music. I just would like to know how stuff in this range compares with eachother, I know it wont compare to the multi-thousand dollar stuff but that doesn't really concern me since I could never have that kind of money to put into speakers. Thanks in advance for any help.

nusiclover
04-19-2004, 12:42 AM
does that mean $400 for mains and rears? so say $250 for mains and $150 for rears? or $200 and $200?
if so then be confident that there are many many speaker outfits out there that will be worth your consideration. unfortunately places like best buy/ circuit city dont have ideal settings to test there gear out. however, with a 30day money back, you may think about taking them home and evaluating them yourself.

Bryan
04-19-2004, 05:17 AM
Probably something like the HSU (http://www.hsuresearch.com) Ventriloquist/VTF-2 combo would be along the lines of what you are searching for though it is outside your price range at $660 delivered. The big expense will be a quality subwoofer. Look around for used gear as that may offer you the satisfaction you are searching for for the price you would like to pay.

lbhkilla
04-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Probably something like the HSU (http://www.hsuresearch.com) Ventriloquist/VTF-2 combo would be along the lines of what you are searching for though it is outside your price range at $660 delivered. The big expense will be a quality subwoofer. Look around for used gear as that may offer you the satisfaction you are searching for for the price you would like to pay.

I am just wondering, why is the sub the big expense? Would I really get better sound overall by spending less on the mains and more on a sub, and why? About those Ventriloquist, what are those going to sound like playing music, I do play a lot of music thats why I was considering concentrating on the mains first, they seem kinda small.

jeffrodesiac
04-19-2004, 08:42 AM
I am just starting out in this HT stuff. I don't have much money right now, and don't think my budget will be getting to much bigger in the future. I have been looking around and have noticed a pretty nasty bias against Fluance, which I had been looking into. I was thinking about getting them, but having no way of hearing them I pretty hesitant. If anyone in here has heard them I would love to know how they sound, but if you are just speculating I have seen plenty of that already ;) Now I have looked into a few more brands. The Polk R series is in about my price range, as is the Celestion S series. If anyone has heard either of these I would like to know their opinion. Best Buy has the Celestions, so I think I might go there and see them, I think Circuit City and American has Polks. With the Celestion and Polk models I was thinking of getting the fronts and back for now and using a virtual center until I have money for that and a sub. I can put down about $400 right now. I also haven't heard anything about sony speakers, but from the bad things I have heard about their recievers I guess Im not thinking they are the greatest. Now keep in mind I don't need the greatest thing here, I just want something to watch some movies and listen to some music. I just would like to know how stuff in this range compares with eachother, I know it wont compare to the multi-thousand dollar stuff but that doesn't really concern me since I could never have that kind of money to put into speakers. Thanks in advance for any help.

I HAVE the fluance AV-HTB couldnt be happier!!! dont believe all the ppl here who r able to spent $1000++ on speakers espically if you r just starting out i would suggest getting a sub, you really dont need 1 but every tru HT has 1

lbhkilla
04-19-2004, 02:10 PM
How are the JBL Northridge stuff? I was looking at the E10s for surround, and E20s for front with the E series center and one of their subs. Then when I get more money I could get nice towers for the front and move the E20s to rear surround.

Bryan
04-20-2004, 08:05 AM
In HT the subwoofer is the foundation and a good one can make or break the system. You want something that will last you for a long time to come. A good one can improve the sound of your speakers. Odds are you would upgrade the Ventriloquist at a later time but the sub you probably will not need nor want to upgrade. If you are gearing more for a music system first then a pair used speakers would be your best bet.

lbhkilla
04-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Is there any good place online to find used speakers other than Ebay?

magictooth
04-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Is there any good place online to find used speakers other than Ebay?
www.audiogon.com is a great place for all types of used equipment. Spend a bit of time there and you can check out the reviews of different equipment and you can also track what's a good price to pay for a particular piece of equipment.

lbhkilla
04-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Im still kinda curious about JBL Northridge E speakers. From Onecall right now I could get a pair of E20s for front, E10s for rear, and the E25 center for around $350 shipped, then I could figure out a sub from there. Has anyone heard these JBL speakers? The are nice looking, but havent been anywhere to hear them.

jeffrodesiac
04-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Im still kinda curious about JBL Northridge E speakers. From Onecall right now I could get a pair of E20s for front, E10s for rear, and the E25 center for around $350 shipped, then I could figure out a sub from there. Has anyone heard these JBL speakers? The are nice looking, but havent been anywhere to hear them.
JBL might be better then the Fluance but for my budget the Fluance blew me away and still do. I got them for less than $300 shipped thats including an extra $25.00 to get front tower spikes and it also made them biampable,oh and it made all speakers have the 5 way binding posts. then my subwoofer is the NHT SA3 w/ the SW3P woofer, that was a cool $1300.00 4 yrs ago love the separate amp

Bryan
04-22-2004, 05:23 AM
The E20s have the same sonic signature as the E90s. Didn't think highly of the E10 nor the E25. Should be able to audition these at your local Best Buy.

lbhkilla
04-23-2004, 12:53 PM
I just got back from a Paradigm dealer, (who knew there was one 4 blocks from my house). I listened to the cinema 90s, they sounded good. The guy said they wouldn't be the best for music though. He sugested 2 pairs of Atoms, a CC70, and a PDR-8. They didn't have that really setup for a good listen though. I'm still looking around so I didn't talk to him much on price, but they should deal on price right? I am going to check out a best buy this weekend and see how those JBL E20s sound to me. Anyone have any experience with these Paradigms, or know how much I might be able to talk them down on the prices?

cam
04-23-2004, 05:42 PM
I just got back from a Paradigm dealer, (who knew there was one 4 blocks from my house). I listened to the cinema 90s, they sounded good. The guy said they wouldn't be the best for music though. He sugested 2 pairs of Atoms, a CC70, and a PDR-8. They didn't have that really setup for a good listen though. I'm still looking around so I didn't talk to him much on price, but they should deal on price right? I am going to check out a best buy this weekend and see how those JBL E20s sound to me. Anyone have any experience with these Paradigms, or know how much I might be able to talk them down on the prices?
My first system consisted of 4 atoms, cc170, and a pdr 10. I did listen to the cc70 with the atoms and it only took me 2 seconds to know that the cc70 was a weak point. I spent only a few dollars more for the cc170 which has the same tweeter and 5.5 inch woofer as the atoms which to me was a way more competent match to the atoms. The sound was seamless from speaker to speaker which is what you should be looking for. If you are hung up on getting the cc70 then you should be matching them to the micro's, same tweeters and woofer. Now with 4 atoms and a cc170 you will notice the pdr-8 will be the weak link, that's why I went with the pdr-10, and even then after a while I felt I was lacking in oomph so at that time I upgraded to the ps-1000. It was 3.5 years ago that I purchased that system, it retailed for $1130 Cnd plus taxes and I got it for $900 Cnd plus taxes, that was 4 atoms, cc170, and a pdr-10. The ps-1000 cost more but the one good thing about buying Paradigm, not only can you work them down in price you can trade up with what you almost originally paid in the first place. Now I'm into the monitor series and I have the new pw-2200. Sound Quality and the ability to go very loud are easily attained with the atoms and the cc170 as long as you cross them over no lower then 80hz-100hz.

N. Abstentia
04-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Those Paradigm Atoms are nearly impossible to beat for the price.

lbhkilla
05-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Well I guess its gonna be over a month til I have the money, so I am still looking around. How is the Athena Point5 MK2 system, or the NHT superzeros?

speakerman3
05-02-2004, 09:31 PM
In the $400 price range, your options are limited somewhat. I would recommend looking for some used bookshelf speakers from Legacy Audio. They are hard to come by, but well worth it if you can find them. In the meantime, listen for what you like in a speaker. Compare Monitor Audio with Energy (both available through Good Guys) and decide whether you like a "mellow" or "bright" speaker. The best you can do is find a speaker that sounds good to you. It makes no difference what other people think when it comes to your satisfaction.
I caution, however, that what sounds good for 1 minute, may not sound good for 10, and might sound terrible for the long haul. Take your time to listen to what is available to you in your price range, and remember that speakers are the weakest link in an audio system, so they should get the bulk of your budget.

I hope this helps you.