WOW, no more OPPO 93 being made [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : WOW, no more OPPO 93 being made

Hyfi
09-05-2012, 09:27 AM
I was poking around looking for where to purchase a 2nd 93 and noticed that the OPPO site said Out of Stock but they have refurbs. Hoping to purchase direct, I emailed and asked when they would be back in stock and got the below response, to which I followed up with a few questions.

""Hi Brian,

We don't anticipate getting any new BDP-93s in stock. We hope to have a replacement for the BDP-93 out by the end of the year, so we have ceased manufacturing of the BDP-93. We do, however, have refurbished units in stock. They carry the same 1-year warranty and in most cases are completely indistinguishable from a new unit.

Thanks,

Christopher Vick
Oppo Digital, Inc.""

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-05-2012, 09:40 AM
I was poking around looking for where to purchase a 2nd 93 and noticed that the OPPO site said Out of Stock but they have refurbs. Hoping to purchase direct, I emailed and asked when they would be back in stock and got the below response, to which I followed up with a few questions.

""Hi Brian,

We don't anticipate getting any new BDP-93s in stock. We hope to have a replacement for the BDP-93 out by the end of the year, so we have ceased manufacturing of the BDP-93. We do, however, have refurbished units in stock. They carry the same 1-year warranty and in most cases are completely indistinguishable from a new unit.

Thanks,

Christopher Vick
Oppo Digital, Inc.""

I really wanted another one myself, but my boys said "no new toys until you get rid of your old ones". I sat down quietly, slumped over, and just sighed......

ForeverAutumn
09-05-2012, 09:53 AM
What's the price difference between new and refurb? Generally refurbs don't carry the same warranty as new, so this could actually be a good time to buy one.

Hyfi
09-05-2012, 10:08 AM
$50 bucks less and same 1 year waranty

The question is, wait several months for the unknown, get a refurb right from OPPO, or a new one from Audioholics or Amazon.

What to do...what to do?

ForeverAutumn
09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
That might be a good question for your friend Mr. Vick. Maybe he'll give you a heads up as to what the changes will be on the new unit.

Hyfi
09-05-2012, 10:22 AM
I already got the response, as well as reading the latest posts over at AVS Official OPPO 93 thread. Mums the word right now and they are not giving up any details at all.

Hey Brian,

<<
We don’t have any additional details to release quite yet, but we will soon.
Thanks,
Christopher Vick
>>

Hyfi
09-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Actually, the Refurbs are going for $415 and free shipping. Sometimes Refurb units are gone over more thoroughly than one off the assembly line because they rarely fully QC every unit but rather randomly selected ones.

It would appear that they are not saying anything about the new ones before they sell off all the 93s and the only thing I would really want as far as a change would be that they put the dedicated 2ch analog outputs back in like the 83 and 95 use. I don't need any other feature that they may add than that but if I wait to find out what the new one and price will be, I may miss out on the great refurb deal.

What to do???

Hyfi
09-06-2012, 10:11 AM
I just got word back from OPPO that they will not be adding back the 2ch analog outs so anyone that has been on the fence about this player, now is the time to pull the trigger!

bfalls
09-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Just being curious. Do any of your players get really hot? Mine is hot after playing only one disc. It has more than ample space around it and is not enclosed in a cabinet. However the discs coming out is hot and you can smell the ink from being heated. Normal, or should I have it looked at?

Hyfi
09-10-2012, 07:49 AM
My 93 gets warm, it sits on top of my Rotel 1052 and uses the heatsinks from that.

Hyfi
09-10-2012, 08:06 AM
I am ordering another 93 refurb for $415 on Wednesday. Why Wednesday? Because I don't want it to arrive when I am not home Friday and Saturday.

They said they have a good lot of the refurbs and as I expected, they are all gone over 100% unlike the ones that come off the assembly line.

At the bottom of this link there are details as to what will be new in the 103 and 105 players.

New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia (http://www.head-fi.org/t/626743/new-oppo-bdp-103-105-previewed-at-cedia)

No idea what the pricing will be but I really don't need more than what the current 93 does. The backlit eject button would be nice but I can find it in the dark or just use the remote.

At $415 it's a steal that anyone that was on the fence over should jump on.

texlle
09-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Tempting. Now I really want to sell the Denon.

Hyfi
09-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Tempting. Now I really want to sell the Denon.

Just do it!

ForeverAutumn
09-10-2012, 09:25 AM
It is very tempting. I've been wanting an OPPO player for quite a while now. Unfortunately, we just had to authorize a $2300 skylight replacement (and that doesn't include replacing all the damaged drywall on the ceiling) so there is no money available for toys right now. :(

Whaaaaaaaah! :cryin:

It looks like I'll have to wait for the 203 and then get a 103 on the cheap. :biggrin5:

Hyfi
09-10-2012, 09:40 AM
It is very tempting. I've been wanting an OPPO player for quite a while now. Unfortunately, we just had to authorize a $2300 skylight replacement (and that doesn't include replacing all the damaged drywall on the ceiling) so there is no money available for toys right now. :(

Whaaaaaaaah! :cryin:

It looks like I'll have to wait for the 203 and then get a 103 on the cheap. :biggrin5:

Keep an eye out. I suspect many going to upgrade to the new ones will sell the older 93s. Maybe at a better price than the refurbs.

Maybe you could put the money into a cup that you regularly spend at Hortons and have enough to buy the OPPO in a few months.

Or maybe just give up the tickets for a couple shows and the additional charges :)

ForeverAutumn
09-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Or maybe just give up the tickets for a couple shows and the additional charges :)

Funny guy!