Mirage mx 5.1 subwoofer inquiry [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mirage mx 5.1 subwoofer inquiry

Superman
09-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I recently bought the Mirage MX 5.1 home theatre system. It sounds terrific overall except the subwoofer is working at minimal volume. It has two RCA jacks on the back of it, one L and one R. On my Denon reciever, it has a single subwoofer jack and a L and R jack as well. When I plug in the sub with a single cable, the sound is very weak. I tried using two separate cables to connect the L and R on the receiver with L and R on the subwoofer, but to no avail. What am I missing? Do I need a Y cable?

Luckily, I had an old Mirage subwoofer with a single port that I plugged into the single port on the Denon receiver and I have full-range subwoofer capabilities as a result, but I'd like to figure out why the MX subwoofer isn't working properly. Thanks.

TheHills44060
09-05-2012, 06:48 AM
I'm no home theater guru but it definitely sounds as if you need a Y-splitter. Take a single cable from the single Sub out on your receiver and attach a Y-splitter to the end of the cable. Take the Y-splitter and plug it into the L+R in's on your subwoofer. Should increase the subwoofer output quite a bit.

Of course make sure the crossover settings, volume and whatever else is set properly on the receiver. Really like that sub by the way.

I'm sure one of the HT guys in here will correct me if I'm out in left field.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-05-2012, 10:53 AM
I recently bought the Mirage MX 5.1 home theatre system. It sounds terrific overall except the subwoofer is working at minimal volume. It has two RCA jacks on the back of it, one L and one R. On my Denon reciever, it has a single subwoofer jack and a L and R jack as well. When I plug in the sub with a single cable, the sound is very weak. I tried using two separate cables to connect the L and R on the receiver with L and R on the subwoofer, but to no avail. What am I missing? Do I need a Y cable?

Luckily, I had an old Mirage subwoofer with a single port that I plugged into the single port on the Denon receiver and I have full-range subwoofer capabilities as a result, but I'd like to figure out why the MX subwoofer isn't working properly. Thanks.

As the Lower Mountainous type person stated, you need a Y cable. You are only getting half the power out of the single cable, hence why the signal levels are so low.

Superman
09-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks so much for the response. I will definintely jump on the Y-Cable bandwagon and see if something changes.

I'll check into crossover settings online, but can you all give me a general run-down as to what that is? I'm pretty green when it comes to home audio/theatre but I'd like to learn more. Anything you can share would be greatly apprecited. Thanks again.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Thanks so much for the response. I will definintely jump on the Y-Cable bandwagon and see if something changes.

I'll check into crossover settings online, but can you all give me a general run-down as to what that is? I'm pretty green when it comes to home audio/theatre but I'd like to learn more. Anything you can share would be greatly apprecited. Thanks again.

The crossover setting controls a set of filters designed to direct bass energy to the subwoofer(where it is best handled), and the mid-bass through the high frequencies to the mains where they are best handled.

80hz is the most common recommended setting as this is the threshold where bass becomes undetectable in small rooms.

E-Stat
09-07-2012, 05:09 AM
80hz is the most common recommended setting as this is the threshold where bass becomes undetectable in small rooms.
That threshold frequency is certainly correct, but since crossovers have slopes, one must necessarily use a lower x-over frequency to assure that the woofer is not reproducing much output above that threshold.

In this case, however, it is moot since the 2.5" (yes, that's correct) mains are rated to only 110 hz.

MX System details (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/surround-sound-speaker-systems/surround-sound-speaker-systems-reviews/mirage-mx-51-speaker-system.html)