Which one track by these artists would you include in a demo compilation? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which one track by these artists would you include in a demo compilation?

Demetrio
08-26-2012, 09:16 AM
All the bands / artists listed below are usually recognized as featuring great sounding recordings, so I'd like to know: which one track by them (just ONE) would you include in an audiophile oriented demo compilation?

They are:

- STEELY DAN
- DIRE STRAITS
- MARK KNOPFLER
- BRUCE COCKBURN
- LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM
- BECK
- XTC
- SADE
- YELLO

Thanks,
Demetrio.

Jim Clark
08-26-2012, 10:24 AM
IMHO,

Yello - Move Dance Be Born - from the Zebra album

My favorite XTC track has always been Dear God so I'd go with that one.

Don't listen to the other guys at all so I'd have no opinion one way or the other.

jc

recoveryone
08-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Steely Dan: Decaon Blues

Sade: Ordanairy Love

Yello: Oh Ya

Demetrio
08-26-2012, 12:12 PM

I don't own the complete Sade discography (that's the reason I'm asking for suggestions here), but from the ones I have I had coincidently selected "No Ordinary Love" too (from Love Deluxe).

Thanks,
Demetrio.

Davey
08-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Always have loved the Dire Straits debut, very honest sound. Maybe not the greatest from an audiophile view, but my favorite. And it does sound good, especially the original vinyl, with guitars spread across the soundstage, drums and bass solidly in the middle, bigger than life, but that's OK. Fun record. I've always been partial to "Wild West End", reminded me somewhat of the Mink DeVille debut record Cabretta from around the same time. Love the steel guitar, think he used some antique Fenders. Just out for a walk... nice touch...

waitress she watches me crossing from the Barocco Bar
I'm getting a pickup for my steel guitar

The recent SACD sounds very nice too, Wild West End in 24-88.2 flac up at song of the day now.

ForeverAutumn
08-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Of the bands that I listen to, here are my choices:

- STEELY DAN - Pretzel Logic
- DIRE STRAITS - Brothers in Arms
- MARK KNOPFLER - The Last Laugh (with Van Morrison)
- XTC - Dear God

dingus
08-26-2012, 09:51 PM
- STEELY DAN
Two Against Nature

- DIRE STRAITS
Tunnel of Love

- MARK KNOPFLER
Why Aye Man

- LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM
Holiday Road

- XTC
King For A Day

MasterCylinder
08-27-2012, 04:52 AM
Steely Dan -- Hey 19
Dire Straights -- Money for Nothing
Lindsey Buckingham -- Go Your Own Way

3LB
08-27-2012, 05:40 AM
xTc - The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul
Steely Dan - I Got The News
Dire Straits - So Far Away
Lindsay Buckingham - Don't Look Down
Yello - Desert Inn

Demetrio
08-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Hey, guys, thank you very much for the great suggestions!!!

I almost forgot to mention another great band to include in my comp: PINK FLOYD.

Which song from this band would you select for a "great sounding comp"?

richmon
08-29-2012, 12:58 PM
For Floyd, my favorite show off my stereo demo track is 'Welcome to the Machine' off Wish You Were Here. Some great bone-rattling low notes, I think were done on a VCS3 synthesiser. Also a bunch of swishing noises that swirl left/right/left/right.
Just about all the Floyd remasters have great sound quality.

MasterCylinder
08-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Hey, guys, thank you very much for the great suggestions!!!

I almost forgot to mention another great band to include in my comp: PINK FLOYD.

Which song from this band would you select for a "great sounding comp"?

Pink Floyd -- Us and Them

Amazing work from Richard Wright and Alan Parsons.....................

audiobill
08-31-2012, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=Demetrio;386826]Hey, guys, thank you very much for the great suggestions!!!

Pigs ( 3 Different Ones) is the track that I'd include on the comp. More Waters' Floyd, but very good indeed.. I must say, Wish You Were Here's Welcome To The Machine is quite stellar sounding, as well as an all-time fave.

unleasHell
09-09-2012, 01:50 PM

This would be my choice too, the bass on it kicks azz!