Speaker Stands [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Stands

JohnMichael
08-23-2012, 10:54 AM
I am interested in others' opinions on speaker stands. I am currently using the Sanus Steel Foundation 22 inch stands. They are very nice assemble yourself stands. They have a wide base for stability, spikes that pierce carpet and couple to the floor. What I am wondering from anyone who has tried them what advantages may I gain by switching to a welded stand?

I am looking at the Sound Anchor stands. They have a single pillar model that I think would be enough for the OML1's. What I think would be the advantages of a rigid welded stand is better coupling of speaker to stand and then to floor. When the speaker is on a rigid platform I think imaging would improve. One reviewer thinks that a stand with a narrow profile is better since the sound will not be reflected by the stand.

Due to my enthusiasm for the sound of my system using the Rocket 44's the only thing I could possibly need would be speaker stands that are more rigid. Anyone wanting to share experiences with upgraded stands.

Hyfi
08-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Most of the welded metal stands allow for filling with sand or lead shot.

My HT rears are on 36" Sanus wood stands so other than that I don't have much to offer since my 50" Clearfields won't fit on any.

Jack in Wilmington
08-23-2012, 11:26 AM
I love my JAS stands that are supporting my Usher X-719's. They have a marble base and solid wood upright. With these babies you get the stability of filling them with lead shot without the mess.

Oh and by the way Mr "I'm not going to change anything and enjoy the music" it did take you a whole 6 days to tweak or doesn't this count cause you're just talking about it.

Not to get you riled up on anything, but the guys over at AudioAsylum are dissing your amp. You might want to go over there and defend her honor.

JohnMichael
08-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Oh and by the way Mr "I'm not going to change anything and enjoy the music" it did take you a whole 6 days to tweak or doesn't this count cause you're just talking about it.

Not to get you riled up on anything, but the guys over at AudioAsylum are dissing your amp. You might want to go over there and defend her honor.

LOL I meant I would not be switching speakers, cables and I am glad the Krell is back. I do not think of stands as sound generating devices. Since I am so happy with the system I just wanted to treat my speakers with better stands.

I will check out AudioAsylum and their comments about the Krell. One thing I have noticed about criticism of the S-300i is from folks who have heard earlier Krell int. amps and assume it sounds like the previous models. You know how fond I am of those who criticize a product they have never heard.

Your stands look very nice but since my listening room is also the living room and I am decor concious a simple black stand will work best.

JohnMichael
08-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Well I went to AA and it was interesting and it was not. A member asking about switching from tube separates to a solid state int. amp. Of course that was bound to have the tube fans knock the thought of switching to SS. I did not read where anyone had heard the amp. One of our members said the amp was not reliable. The amp did develop a noise issue which Krell quickly fixed but the amp never stopped working. Later when I tried a bi-wire cable and blew out a channel due to a miswired cable this was not a problem with the Krell. Of course the fact that Krell still repaired it under warranty with no cost to me says a lot about the company.

frenchmon
08-23-2012, 04:01 PM
JM....the Skylan or target stands may be what you want. Grant Fidelity has the Skylan... And you may have to search for the target stands....both have very good reps.

JohnMichael
08-23-2012, 04:28 PM
JM....the Skylan or target stands may be what you want. Grant Fidelity has the Skylan... And you may have to search for the target stands....both have very good reps.

The Skylan and Target stands have a fairly wide profile that I was trying to avoid. This is the stand I am interested in for my speakers.

TheHills44060
08-23-2012, 04:52 PM
The Swans D Stand are the best I've ever owned.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/shodulik/120823_005.jpg

JohnMichael
08-23-2012, 05:00 PM
The Swans D Stand are the best I've ever owned.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/shodulik/120823_005.jpg

They look nice and I am glad you like them but they are a little more than what I am looking for. I also want a solid metal stand that is welded to be very rigid.

TheHills44060
08-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Ah I see, yeah these are wood and aren't the slimmest things in the world so they probably aren't right for you are looking for.

Hyfi
08-24-2012, 03:44 AM
I love my JAS stands that are supporting my Usher X-719's. They have a marble base and solid wood upright. With these babies you get the stability of filling them with lead shot without the mess.

I saw those at Quest, which is most likely where you got them right? I was listening to the JAS Oriors they had on them through all the Granite gear. WOW!

You failed to mention that they are height adjustable also and look great in person.

How much were they if you don't mind?

Poultrygeist
08-24-2012, 04:28 AM
These DIY stands are popular on many forums. PVC tubes filled with sand or lead shot make them very heavy and stable for a fraction of the price of commercial stands. Spikes are easily added for carpet.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/500/medium/P9250017.JPG

bfalls
08-24-2012, 05:55 AM
The Paradigm Premier J Series have always been my favorites. Welded steel, powder-coated finish, hollow to allow for mass loading. I use a combination of playground sand and lead shot. The lead seems to deaden any resonance. Very solid and heavy.

Jack in Wilmington
08-24-2012, 05:57 AM
I saw those at Quest, which is most likely where you got them right? I was listening to the JAS Oriors they had on them through all the Granite gear. WOW!

You failed to mention that they are height adjustable also and look great in person.

How much were they if you don't mind?

I think Steve charged me $400, but it's been awhile. I did forget to mention that they were adjustable. I found them to be just the right height with my Ushers so they didn't need adjusting. He had a pair of JAS speakers on them, but I don't remember the model. They had a heavy metal screen over the drivers for protection I guess.

topspeed
08-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Woochifer uses Sound Anchors, you may want to pm him.

JohnMichael
08-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Woochifer uses Sound Anchors, you may want to pm him.

Thanks, I will.

frenchmon
08-25-2012, 06:33 AM
JM...have you seen these stands?

DIY bookshelf speakers (sonus faber like)(Scanspeak/Tangband) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IkjKEguUNE&feature=related)

This is the company...Norstone - Speaker stands (http://www.norstone-design.com/en/category/11_Speaker-stands.html)
But they have no distributor in the USA.

But they can be had from Ebay

NORSTONE STYLUM 2 COPPIA STAND PER DIFFUSORI NUOVI | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORSTONE-STYLUM-2-COPPIA-STAND-PER-DIFFUSORI-NUOVI-/250694113866#vi-desc)

http://www.jcbtoche.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Norstone-03.jpg

And I like these.

http://www.norstone-design.com/media/NorStone/NORWALKBK/WALKSTAND_HEADER.jpg

JohnMichael
08-25-2012, 09:58 AM
JM...have you seen these stands?

This is the company...
But they have no distributor in the USA.

But they can be had from Ebay

And I like these.

They look interesting but I could not tell if they are welded stands or ones I would need to assemble. I really want stands that arrive welded together as one solid structure. I think the stands will be less resonant with all parts welded together than screwed together. As I know the vibrations can cause screws to loosen. Hell I have a few loose screws myself.

frenchmon
08-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Have you ever used sand or cat litter or shot in any of your stands? The stands you sent me....I filled with cat litter and I will be putting them on a thin wood platform to stable them. I could tell the difference one filled with cat litter.

frenchmon
08-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Naw...they look screwed together.

Poultrygeist
08-25-2012, 02:12 PM
When I use sand I mix it with cat litter to absorb any moisture. Bags of lead shot work as well.

JohnMichael
08-26-2012, 06:50 AM
I pulled out my Sanus EF stands which are single pillar and I was thinking about having them welded. I thought if the column was welded to the bass plate and top plate I could hear any possible improvement in them. It was then I discovered that neither my SF22 stands nor my EF24 stands are true to size. The 22 inch stands with spikes in the top plate are 21.5 inches and the 24 inch stands are a little over 25 inches. Not much difference but if I order the Sound Anchor single pillar stand I think I will split the difference and order the 23 inch stands, if true to size.

Even welded the EF stands are fairly light and no way to add mass since the column is open at both ends for speaker wire. I think I have myself talked into the Sound Anchors.

Poultrygeist
08-26-2012, 07:29 AM
I wonder if metal speaker stands like driver frames are subject to ringing at certain frequencies?

YBArcam
08-26-2012, 07:47 AM
If you are looking at Sound Anchor stands then I'm not sure if any other stands are quite like them.

I've got a pair of Kudos S50 speaker stands. I believe you can unscrew the top plate, which is where you'd poor in your cat litter or whatever you want to use to fill the stands. Other than that I think the stand comes assembled in one piece. A dealer did the filling for me. Basically filled the stand to where any ringing stopped when he tapped on it. Sound improved dramatically vs. what I used earlier, and the speaker is very well reviewed.

Kudos S50 speaker stands (http://www.eden-audio.com/Kudos-S50.php)

frenchmon
08-26-2012, 04:44 PM
YBArcam....can you post a picture if the Kudos S50 stands with your speaker on them? And what size are they? I assume one can purchase these in the States? BTW have you heard Kudos speakers? I heard them a few years ago.....not bad.

JohnMichael
08-26-2012, 05:09 PM
In my search for speaker stands I found a pair that I find visually interesting but not what I really want. I do think the top plate is welded to the supports but the base is bolted together. Just thought it would be fun to show them.

YBArcam
08-26-2012, 07:14 PM
YBArcam....can you post a picture if the Kudos S50 stands with your speaker on them? And what size are they? I assume one can purchase these in the States? BTW have you heard Kudos speakers? I heard them a few years ago.....not bad.

Not sure if they are available in the U.S. They stand at 24" high. I have not heard a pair of Kudos speakers. A couple of dealers here carry them. They are supposed to match nicely with Naim gear but they are more than I'd like to spend at this time.

Here are a couple of pictures (taken with my cellphone so the quality isn't the best):

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk62/PGP_97/DSC_0020.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk62/PGP_97/DSC_0021.jpg

frenchmon
08-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Ok thanks....they look like nice solid stands. Did you get different speakers? What happen to your other speakers? How do you like the Wharfedales?

YBArcam
08-28-2012, 04:18 PM
I have been through a few speakers lately (what else is new?!). Had a set of Castle Avon floorstanders, which I liked. Moved onto a pair of PMC TB2i, which were (as expected) a better speaker. The main thing for me was they were more natural sounding, giving music and voice appropriate weight and body.

The PMC's aren't cheap though, and I guess I just did not want to have so much money tied up in my speakers. I generally think that quality costs money, but there is a balance, and there are some great values out there. I took a chance on the Wharfedales and they are actually surprisingly good for the money, giving me a lot of what the PMC's do. They don't go quite as low and they do not sound as clear and open, but they do a good job with tone and timing and the tweeter/woofer integration sounds pretty good. They convinced me that I could sell the PMCs and still be happy.

If I stick with passive speakers I will likely build my own (or do a kit). I like the Wharfedales but I would like something that digs a little deeper. Building my own speakers will allow me to choose from many different drivers/crossovers/enclosures, and hopefully finish with something that competes with speakers that cost significantly more at retail.

JohnMichael
08-28-2012, 05:07 PM
I have found the Bell'o stands at well under $100 a pair. I am thinking about ordering a pair until I decide on ultimate stands. $300 to $400 a pair for stands is not bad if I am going to use them long term. It would be nice to have a welded speaker stand unless it is too tall or short for my current speakers.

I am curious what the dissimilar uprights would contribute to the sound along with the wider base than most speaker stands. The top is welded to the uprights and the base is bolted together. There is no way to add mass but they can support speakers up to 100 pounds so they must be strong.

Oh and they have more style than many stands. If I decide I do not like them back in the walk in closet until someone needs them.

I can order the Sound Anchors at any height and I think the 23 inch stands would work for my speakers. Since they have an angled baffle I do not need them as hogh as similarly sized speakers.

Oh well for now I am going for style.

JohnMichael
09-01-2012, 06:07 AM
I did buy a pair of Bell'O stands for fun. The stands are more rigid than the Sanus EF 24 stands. The EF stands use a single pillar and the SP224's use a rectangular and round uprights. The uprights are welded to the top plate and they are bolted to the base at two different posts.

Most of the weight of the stands is in the base. The base is larger than both the Sanus EF24 and the Pangea 3 pillar stands. The stands have good carpet piercing spikes that are adjustable. The Bell'O stands are more rigid than the Sanus EF. If I bumped the speakers on the Sanus EF's the speaker would sway on the single pillar. I intentionally bumped the speakers on the Bell'O stands and there was minimal movement and it stopped more quickly than the Sanus would recover. The Pangea stands while a rigid 3 pillar stand did not have sharp enough spikes to pierce carpet and couple with the floor. The Pangeas would sway due to not being able to make contact with the floor.

The Bell'o stands are very good budget stands. Easy to assemble with more style than many. The stands are a true 24 inch height. They are available on-line for less than $100.

JohnMichael
09-02-2012, 10:27 AM
The Bell'O speaker stands are the stands that will remain in my current system. They are the fourth pair of stands in the $100 range. In the future I am going to have the base welded to the uprights along with the bolts used in assembly.

I had trouble making a decision on stands in the $300-400 range. I purchased the OML1's on clearance for $650 and the idea of paying around half the purchase price for stands did not appeal to me when it was time to pry open the wallet. Now if I bought a pair of Reference 3A de Cappo's or the Joseph Audio standmount model in the $2,300-2,500 range I would have no problem parting with the cash. I would also see myself buying expensive stands now and they not being the right height for new speakers. I would not want to buy another pair in the $300-400 range.

So now my system is set and I only have to enjoy the musIc.

frenchmon
09-02-2012, 11:52 AM
The Bell'O speaker stands are the stands that will remain in my current system. They are the fourth pair of stands in the $100 range. In the future I am going to have the base welded to the uprights along with the bolts used in assembly.

I had trouble making a decision on stands in the $300-400 range. I purchased the OML1's on clearance for $650 and the idea of paying around half the purchase price for stands did not appeal to me when it was time to pry open the wallet. Now if I bought a pair of Reference 3A de Cappo's or the Joseph Audio standmount model in the $2,300-2,500 range I would have no problem parting with the cash. I would also see myself buying expensive stands now and they not being the right height for new speakers. I would not want to buy another pair in the $300-400 range.

So now my system is set and I only have to enjoy the musIc.

thank you JM. You have helped me to decide on stands for my Vento 830.2 speakers. I was waffling on wether to get the matching stands which cost $500 but your reasoning makes much sense. Seeing the Vento's retail for $2400 the $500 stands should do well.

frenchmon
09-02-2012, 03:08 PM
In my search for speaker stands I found a pair that I find visually interesting but not what I really want. I do think the top plate is welded to the supports but the base is bolted together. Just thought it would be fun to show them.

jM are these the stands you are buying?

JohnMichael
09-02-2012, 05:27 PM
jM are these the stands you are buying?

Yes I have been using them for several days now. Nice rigid stands and a true 24 inches. The base is heavy and along with the spikes couples to the floor through the carpet solidly. Very nice for the money.

frenchmon
09-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Got some pics with your speakers.

Enochrome
09-02-2012, 09:45 PM

Where did you get those stands? I like the look; it kinda has a bauhaus look to it. Is it somewhere in L.A. assuming that "Wilmington" is the city near Long Beach.

Enochrome
09-02-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm in the same boat. Got a new pair of bookshelf speakers and my current stands are not cutting it. I am not sure where to look either, but these suggestions are informative. I might make my own, although the welded kind are tempting.

Jack in Wilmington
09-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Where did you get those stands? I like the look; it kinda has a bauhaus look to it. Is it somewhere in L.A. assuming that "Wilmington" is the city near Long Beach.

Sorry, try the other coast. You can check out their stands at JAS Speakers. I got mine at Quest for Sound in Pa.

JohnMichael
09-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Got some pics with your speakers.

Here they are if you can see them. I will only see a red X.

If I had a dedicated room for my system I would have more massive stands. Since my system is in my living room I wanted sturdy stands with minimal profile. Even the Sanus SF 22 inch stands took up a lot of visual space due to the large bases. The open looking base and curve of the front column of the Bell'O stands make them less visually obtrusive. I just realized I am my own WAF. Good sound and design are important to me.

TheHills44060
09-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Looks good JM. I definitely see what you mean now about wanting something less obtrusive. The bases give them the impression of taking up less space than they really do.

frenchmon
09-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Nice JM......it seems like you have my old habit of not putting the CD's back after use...lol!

JohnMichael
09-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Nice JM......it seems like you have my old habit of not putting the CD's back after use...lol!

Guilty as charged. My system is sounding good and I pulled out a lot of cd's I have not listened to in too long a time. I have had some surprises that some cd's are sounding better than I remember.

JohnMichael
09-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Sorry, try the other coast. You can check out their stands at JAS Speakers. I got mine at Quest for Sound in Pa.

I checked out the stores site and would love to pay the store a visit. They have an amazing selection of speakers.

Jack in Wilmington
09-03-2012, 05:34 PM
I checked out the stores site and would love to pay the store a visit. They have an amazing selection of speakers.

They do have a lot of speakers to chose from. If you decide to make the trip east, I'm sure myself or HyFi would love to show you around. We both know the store owner. I've bought a few things there, including my Usher speakers. We could even take you to see the ocean.

JohnMichael
09-03-2012, 07:22 PM
They do have a lot of speakers to chose from. If you decide to make the trip east, I'm sure myself or HyFi would love to show you around. We both know the store owner. I've bought a few things there, including my Usher speakers. We could even take you to see the ocean.

A few of us AR folks met in Chicago so it would be good to have another get together. It would be great to get a hotel room close by and meet for some audio shopping and some live music. Time for another AR meeting.

3db
09-07-2012, 04:16 AM
I recently found a single used Image 1B at a used stereo shop. I talked the owner down $30 off the asking price picking it up for $50. Now I have a 6.1 system and it matched the rest of my PSB system.

Here are some pics ..