Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

bajaed
08-18-2012, 10:59 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

My God, talk about a horrible week! First $600 in speeding tickets between my wife and I. Then, the panel on my 60" plasma goes bad, out of warranty. Then somebody slams into me and I drop my smart phone and break the screen($200). Finally, I find out we owe $1,000 in uncovered doctor bills.

What happened next.....I don't know how to begin.

I decided to go down to the basement and listen to some music after a bad week. I put on my brand new copy of Diana Krall One Night in Paris 180G 45 RPM LP.

I'm sitting there enjoying the music, eyes closed when I hear the horrible screech of a needle sliding across the turntable come from my Energy RC-10's.

I jump up turn the volume down and try to figure out what happened. I look on the floor and lying below my turntable is a handheld electric butane lighter. My wife had lit some candles on the patio earlier and put the lighter on the shelf above the stereo leaning at a 45 degree angle. Not sure if was the vibration from the music or if it was going to come down anyway but it fell and landed on/near my turntable. The needle was knocked back to the start of the album.

I turned the amp back up to about half the volume it had been at and hear some distortion. From what I can tell so far, the tweeter in the left RC-10 sounds damaged. I have not been able to figure out yet what else may be wrong.

JohnMichael
08-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Sorry to read so many bad things happening in a short time. I wonder if that screech could have overloaded the tweeter like some test tones can do? Have you checked the condition of the cantilever and stylus? If it slid across the record it could be damaged. Hope not. Have you tried switching speakers to see if the distortion is in the tweeter or coming from something else?

Good luck and I hope it is a simple fix.

bajaed
08-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks John. About to move the rear surrounds to the front. Hopefully they will sound clean.

JoeE SP9
08-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Damn! You need a do over for the week!

bajaed
08-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Tell me about it.:mad5:

LeRoy
08-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Well, hopefully nothing else is wrong and you have experienced enough carnage for a few years in a span of a few days. So, is the distortion following the speaker or is it isolated to one channel? Hope you have a much better week coming up!

bajaed
08-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks Leroy.

Update. Feel stupid but thankfully the speaker is not blown. I have a loose socket on my amp for one of the power tubes and as a coincidence, or because of what happened, the tube was jarred and not putting anything out so the left speaker only was getting half the power that the right one was. Thus the distortion. Because it happened exactly when the accident did, I did not initially think that was the cause.

Gently moving the tube brought it back up and the speaker sounds fine now. Sorry to bug you guys for answers.

Now I need to see if the stylus was damaged on the table.

JohnMichael
08-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks Leroy.

Update. Feel stupid but thankfully the speaker is not blown. I have a loose socket on my amp for one of the power tubes and as a coincidence, or because of what happened, the tube was jarred and not putting anything out so the left speaker only was getting half the power that the right one was. Thus the distortion. Because it happened exactly when the accident did, I did not initially think that was the cause.

Gently moving the tube brought it back up and the speaker sounds fine now. Sorry to bug you guys for answers.

Now I need to see if the stylus was damaged on the table.

Glad it was an easy fix and we all learn from others experience so thanks for sharing.

StevenSurprenant
09-04-2012, 07:33 AM
$600 for speeding tickets? Were you going, like, 200mph?

bajaed
09-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Not in an Expedition. In TN 83mph was almost $300 and I did not have registration in vehicle which was about $150.

My wife's ticket was about $150. 200 in a Ferrari would have been more fun.