The least politically correct lyrics ... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The least politically correct lyrics ...

Davey
08-18-2012, 01:09 PM
This should be fun :)

So I was just listening to the great title track from Rod Stewart's best record, Every Picture Tells a Story. And it is a great song, I think one of Rod's best, and a great recording too, very quickly done and captured with some of the blemishes intact. Really sounds honest, but very nicely recorded too. I read a quote where he said something like the whole record was made in about the time they would probably spend nowadays just tracking the drums for one song :)

In any case, regardless of the recording (and btw, I was listening to the 24-96 HDtracks download and it does sound pretty nice), I always cringe just a bit when he sings, "I fell in love with a slit-eyed lady". Not that I think it was overtly or intentionally racist, but it does sound a bit sexist, and dismissive of women in general. Especially when he couples it with the lyric, "the women I've known I wouldn't let tie my shoe". Historically it wasn't that long ago, but it was a totally different time in rock and roll history, that's for sure. Still love the song, and the record. That was the middle of a pretty impressive trilogy of records.

So any lyrics from your favorite songs that really make you cringe nowadays?

thekid
08-19-2012, 03:40 AM
Well Todd Rundgren is one of my favorite artists and a line referring to women in his first major hit's "We Gotta Get You A Woman" I think fits your description;

"They may be stupid but they sure are fun"

Then there is a particular word in the hit "Money For Nothing" Dire Straits put out in the 80's which I am surprised does not get edited out like it does automatically on AR;

See the little ***got with the earring and the makeup
Yeah buddy that's his own hair
That little ***got got his own jet airplane
That little ***got he's a millionaire

3LB
08-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Illegal Alien by Genesis - the whole song; lyrics, Phil Collins Spanglish vocal inflections, dreadful video.

Smokey
08-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Then there is a particular word in the hit "Money For Nothing" Dire Straits put out in the 80's which I am surprised does not get edited out like it does automatically on AR;

When that song was released in '85, the rumurs had it that in that song Dire Straits was singing about big pop star of the time George Michael.

thekid
08-20-2012, 04:07 PM
When that song was released in '85, the rumurs had it that in that song Dire Straits was singing about big pop star of the time George Michael.

I think that was bit of a stretch because I think George Michael was still pretty far in the closest at the point of time.

If you recall the video and the rest of the lyrics I think it was just a general indictment of "bands" during the MTV era that were making it big based on their "look" rather than their muscianship. Remember the common criticism of many back then was that most of the music was heavily produced and made primarily with synthesizers and drum machines. "Flock of Seagulls" is a band that comes to mind as representative of that era. Not surprising that Knopfler who is pretty good guitarist and one-time rock critic would write a song critical of that scene.

ForeverAutumn
08-20-2012, 04:20 PM

That song was released in 1985. In 2011 The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council ruled that those lyrics had to be censored. The decision created quite the stir here and many radio stations continued to play it intact in the name of free speech and the fact that it took the CBSC 25 years to come to that decision. In September of 2011 they reversed the decision based on the song's satirical nature.

I've always found these lyrics by Nickelback sexist and offensive.

I like your pants around your feet
And I like the dirt that's on your knees
And I like the way you say please
While you're looking up at me
You're like my favorite damn disease

I like the white stains on your dress
I love the way you pass the check
And I love the good times that you wreck

And I love your lack of self respect
While you're passed out on the deck
I love my hands around your neck

bobsticks
08-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Y'all aren't even in the same ballpark with Frank Zappa..."Jewish Princess" anyone?

dingus
08-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Harry Nilsson's You're Breaking My Heart comes to mind....

3LB
08-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Y'all aren't even in the same ballpark with Frank Zappa..."Jewish Princess" anyone?
Bobby Brown

GMichael
08-21-2012, 04:58 AM
Guns N' Roses
Appetite for Destruction (1987)
It's so Easy

I see your sister in her
Sunday dress
She's out to please
She pouts her best
She's out to take
No need to try
She's ready to make

It's so easy, easy
When everybody's tryin' to
please me, baby
It's so easy, easy
please me

Cars are crashin' every night
I drink n' drive
everything's in sight
I make the fire
But I miss the firefight
I hit the bull's eye every night

It's so easy, easy
please me, baby
Yeah it's so easy, easy
When everybody's tryin' to please me
So easy
But nothin' seems to please me
It all fits so right
When I fade into the night
See me hit you
You fall down

I see you standin' there
You think you're so cool
Why don't you just
**** off

Ya get nothin' for nothin'
If that's what you do
Turn around ***** I got a use for you
Besides you ain't got nothin' better to do
And I'm bored

It's so easy, easy
please me, baby
It's so easy, easy
When everybody's tryin' to please me
So easy
But nothin' seems to please me
It all fits so right
When I fade into the night
So come with me
Don't ask me where cause I don't know
I'll try to please you
I ain't got no money
But it goes to show
It's so easy

Smokey
08-21-2012, 07:37 PM
I think that was bit of a stretch because I think George Michael was still pretty far in the closest at the point of time.

I don't think George Michael ever tried too hard to hide his sexual preferences :D

thekid
08-22-2012, 01:44 AM
I don't think George Michael ever tried too hard to hide his sexual preferences :D

Well he stayed in the closet enough to date Brooke Shields back during that time.

GMichael
08-27-2012, 11:11 AM

I always thought that those lyrics were aimed at Boy George.

3LB
08-28-2012, 07:48 AM
I always thought that those lyrics were aimed at Boy George. I heard it was a song about over-hearing two American delivery guys watching a Boy George video. Its unlikely at the time that a Brit would use the term ***got as slang for a homosexual, as the the term *** is British slang for a cigarette (coincidently, something else one might put in one's mouth).

GMichael
08-28-2012, 09:04 AM
I heard it was a song about over-hearing two American delivery guys watching a Boy George video. Its unlikely at the time that a Brit would use the term ***got as slang for a homosexual, as the the term *** is British slang for a cigarette (coincidently, something else one might put in one's mouth).

Back at that time, the term ***got got thrown around a bit more. It was often used to call someone a pussy and did not always mean they were gay. I think it was meant as an indication of how the working class viewed music video stars making "big bucks." Or maybe that's too obvious for me to have included?

nobody
08-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Well, how low do you wanna go? There's always Gacy's Place by the Mentally Ill with graphic lyrics about what Gacy is doing to children befor ekilling them. Or, this gem from the Feederz:

<b>Jesus</b>
We nailed you to a cross, but you're still a ****ing pain
Dead 2000 years, still can't get it through your brain
You're just a worthless corpse, you're just a pile of ****
Give me a couple of nails, and I'll ventilate your pit

Jesus entering from the rear
****ing you in the ass
Just another ***got
In just another mass

We won't take it any more, we just won't take that trash
You're another stupid martyr with another rectal rash
We won't take you in the butt, we're just waiting for the when
We've got a lot of nails to do it to you again

You thought it would be cute, you thought it would be fun
But wait 'til I split your ****ter with a soldering gun
Jesus on a plate, Jesus a la carte
Jesus under glass, just another ****ing tart

GMichael
08-28-2012, 09:26 AM
A few years back, I used to be part of a bar pool league. This league would take me to many different bars. All with their own brand of music on their jukebox. One place seemed to specialize in offensive music. Two of the albums stood out in my memory. F.uck you, and F.uck you 2. Not sure what the lyrics were but the "music" was very much like having ice picks shoved into your ears and twisted while a bag of cats were beaten over your head.
I hated going to that place!:yikes: