By request "a friend's looking for help in deciding on a setup." [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : By request "a friend's looking for help in deciding on a setup."

JohnMichael
08-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Emotiva XPA-2 vs Cerwin Vega CXA-8

I have a pair of Cerwin Vega CLS 215.

The Harman Kardon AVR 7000 receiver I had been using to power them finally bit the dust. The speakers were probably too much for it, but it did the job for three or four years. Therefore, I'm in the market for something else to run them. Though the 215s handle 400 watts each, I thought they sounded really good with the 110 watts rms that the Kardon delivered to each. However, I'm now thinking of stepping up the wattage to the full 400. I hear they'll sound worlds better.

I also have a Cerwin Vega center speaker, but I was thinking of setting that aside and using a two tower setup. So, to power my towers, I figured I'd go with either the Emotiva XPA-2 or the Cerwin Vega CXA-8. They cost the same amount and each give off similar power, the CXA-8 a little more. I know little about this subject matter and would appreciate any input.

Also, I was planning on purchasing the Emotiva USP-1 for my pre amp, and the Emotiva XDA-1 for a DAC, so that I can use the stereo setup for my home theater too. At least, I believe this DAC will enable me to hook the system to my Panasonic TC-P50U50 plasma television.

As I mentioned, I don't know a whole lot about audio systems. I just like good sound. Therefore, all the input y'all can give me will be greatly appreciated. Feel free to also offer alternatives, if you feel there are better products similarly priced for my system. I anxiously await being able to hear music from my 215s. These computer speakers ain't cuttin' it!

Thanks

TAsedlak

I was asked to post this through PM.

E-Stat
08-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Emotiva XPA-2 vs Cerwin Vega CXA-8
One factor might quickly determine the answer. Note the power requirement for the C-V in their specs:

CXA-8 Specs (http://www.cerwinvega.com/manuals/home/cxa-10-cxa-8-sheet.pdf)

Does your friend have a nearby dryer or oven power outlet that he can split?

I confess that I'm not a fan of pro amps for use with anything other than subs. The Emotiva is a conventional class AB amp that weighs twice as much and doesn't require fans. My XPA-5 has proven to be reliable and decent soundng.

JoeE SP9
08-13-2012, 04:56 PM
JM, is the person who asked you to post for him located in Europe? The specs for the amp are for 240V AC @ 50Hz.

harley .guy07
08-14-2012, 05:09 PM
I would think that these two amps would be in different leagues all together. The Cerwin amp is just a pro sound amp that they switched the inputs from balanced to rca and the Emotiva amp is a purpose built home audio amplifier for use in home audio. Now I usually do not like Vega speakers but I have heard the 215's sound very good for the type of speakers that they are built to be (high volume rock out speakers). So I would look at the smoother and more musical of the two amps that he is looking at which in my opinion would be the Emotiva. But that is my opinion.