problem with sony str-d611 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : problem with sony str-d611

darkeagle
04-18-2004, 05:56 PM
Hi there,

I have recently acquired an old Sony STR-D611 receiver, and upon my plugging it in, discovered that only a minimal amount of sound actually comes from my speakers. I have tried re-wiring the speaker setup, using different speakers/wires, plugging the speakers into the surround/center channels, and a multitude of curse words.... to no avail. If I crank the vlume up to the maximum, I hear a signal coming out of the speakers, and it is not distorted... It's as if someone put a volume limiter on the controls. I turned the mute button on an off a few times, and tried pressing and turining every switch and knob I could find on it. Still no progress... any help? thanks!

-bryan

the hand of boredom
04-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi there,

I have recently acquired an old Sony STR-D611 receiver, and upon my plugging it in, discovered that only a minimal amount of sound actually comes from my speakers. I have tried re-wiring the speaker setup, using different speakers/wires, plugging the speakers into the surround/center channels, and a multitude of curse words.... to no avail. If I crank the vlume up to the maximum, I hear a signal coming out of the speakers, and it is not distorted... It's as if someone put a volume limiter on the controls. I turned the mute button on an off a few times, and tried pressing and turining every switch and knob I could find on it. Still no progress... any help? thanks!

-bryan

Bryan,

Check to make sure all connections are tight, and that the polarity of the speaker wires are correct. By 'sound quality' you are referring to volume right? What is the sensitivity rating of your speakers? If you don't know, tell us what brand and model they are.

It could be that you have bought a lemon. Did you listen to it before you bought it?

THOB