Surprising DIY Tweak. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Surprising DIY Tweak.

RoyY51
08-06-2012, 02:52 PM
In a previous post, I asked about the advisability of cutting down my 33" speaker stands to 24". The general consensus was that it was probably a good idea, but I still had doubts: what if I cut them down and they sounded worse? So I decide to try it first on some surrogate stands. I trotted down to Home Depot and bought two 8x8x16 cinder blocks and two 8x8x8's I stacked an 8" on top of each 16" and I was ready to go. What I was not ready for was the amazing change in the speaker sound.

It now sounds like I am listening to completely different speakers! Everything has tightened up; the highs, the lows (and I have two subs hooked up...I would think a change in speaker stands wouldn't affect them at all) and everything in between. A snare drum sounds more like a snare drum. A piano sounds more like a piano. In short, everything just sounds more realistic.

My problem is this: I suspect that this across-the-board improvement in sound might have more to do with the change to the rock-solid cinder blocks than it does with the height of the stands. If that is the case I'm in a real quandary: how do I justify using these butt-ugly chunks of concrete instead of my beautiful hand-crafted stands? I know, I know: good sound trumps everything, but please! I guess I could try to disguise them somehow (wrap them in cloth, paint them) but they'll still be cinder blocks.

Any ideas?

JohnMichael
08-06-2012, 03:45 PM
I remember using blocks under my Small Advents in College. Yes they can make good stands but you are right not very pretty. I have thought about purchasing a welded pair of stands as opposed to stands you assemble. I recently read where someone said use the most rigid stands with the least area to reflect sound.

I do think the proper height allows you to hear the full details of mids and highs. A sturdy stand will help with imaging since the speakers are not vibrating and blurring the image. The better coupled the speakers are to the stand and floor helps with the bass. The speakers being lower may also gain some bass reinforcement being closer to the floor.

Glad you are enjoying an improvement. This is the next stand I am considering.

RoyY51
08-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the input! I will probably continue to use the cinder blocks until I find something equally as effective. I appreciate the picture of your dream stands. I have a friend who is very accomplished at welding. Hmmm...just thinking...

BoJonJovi
08-12-2012, 06:26 AM
Try a different type of block. Look for a what they call a heavy split face. They come in various colors and one (or two sides for corners) have an attractive broken stone like finish. I just made a fence out of them using the splits for posts and gluing them together with thin set tile mortar.

I have a friend that built some tables out of cinder blocks and he used broken tile mosaic to make some beautiful stands. You could also just tile the regular cinder blocks. There are ways to put frosting on an otherwise butt ugly block. Let your mind go wild!

RoyY51
08-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Great idea! I have a masonry outlet close to my house that would probably carry exactly what you're referring to. I could use some glaze-based antiquing techniques to really bring out the texture.

Gotta look better than white cinder block!