Speakers for Lower Volume Listening [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speakers for Lower Volume Listening

Coach Harry
04-18-2004, 04:23 PM
I recently purchased a nice Yamaha RX-V1400 A/V Receiver and would like to match them up with a decent set of speakers. I currently have the low end Onkyo 6.1 speakers and while they beat the speaker built into my TV I know there is more to life.

I am probably a bit older then the mean here, and after many years playing in R&R bands I have lost a lot of sensitivity to higher frequency tones. As an example in my car I have to turn the treble all the way up and cut back a bit on the bass just to get a CD to sound like I know it should.

In addition I generally end up listening to movies at a lower volume ( unless I am the only one home that is :p ) and so would like a set of speakers that will still render a nice detailed and complex sound even when not cranked.

I cannot spend thousands on a system, but don't want junk either. A friend has offered me a set of 5 Bose double cubes, but I am not sure that is the best way for me to go. If I did go with the Bose, I would need a sub and 2 more speakers ( perhaps mains),

Finally the room is only 15x15, is carpeted, but has way too many doors and windows, eventually I will have a nice 13x25 room, but that will not be till next year when the basement is remodeled.

Thanks in advance,
-harry

N. Abstentia
04-18-2004, 04:43 PM
Well if you're looking for good sound and excellent high freqency response, Bose is going to be the last speaker on your list. They don't even use tweeters, they rely on a tiny 2" paper cone speaker to produce almost the entire freqency range they are capable of. Those little cubes don't do much above 13,000 hz. They lose lots of vital information, however Bose cubes make great paperweights.

If you're looking for something with an extended high end, you might want to look at some Klipsch speakers with horn loaded tweeters.

RGA
04-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Your friend isn't much of a friend for offerring you those Bose speakers...some of the worst things ever made. What is worse is that they are not only terrible but expensive terrible - a double whammy. Any $300.00 set of speakers from the below list is superior to those Bose speakers...In fact I would put them ahead of the Bose 901 as well.

My choices for reasonable money for home theater and Music would be in rough order from:

B&W,
PSB
Mission
Energy
Wharfedale
Klipsch (this may actually best suit your needs because they are very easy speakers to drive being thatthey have High Sensitivity - this should aid in low volume listening).
Monitor Audio.

04-18-2004, 05:05 PM
I would say Energy had the best value when I was auditioning them.
For less than 300 cdn dollars you can get a pair of C1s at A&Bsound.
Wharfedale was pretty good with with some pacific model of bookshelf for bout 500 cdn
Quad 11L is a nice little speaker too, but it was running into 800 cdn.

Coach Harry
04-20-2004, 06:51 PM
I've listened to the Klipsch Synergy series of speakers the sound is decent ( well as close as I can tell from listening to them at BB ), I am just not all that crazy about the black finish. I have not yet been able to listen to the Reference series, the 3 series looks about the most affordable in the line, but still toward the upper end of my budget.

I have to admit I am intriqued by the Energy speakers, the price is right and they look pretty good as well. Does anyone here own a set and what do you think of them? Another name that was mentioned to me was Fluance. Apparently if you bi-amp the SV-10 towers they are supposed to be pretty good, but from what I have read on this board they do not appear to be anyones favorites.

All additional comments are welcome.
-harry

manek
04-21-2004, 06:40 AM
Try the following

QUAD - 12L, 21L, 22L
Cadence - Arita, Diva
Jamo - E855, E875, D570, D590
Monotor Audio - Silver & bronze series
PSB - Image series

If you feel you need to turn up the treble a bit when you listen then go for metal dome tweeters, they might help you out.

Manek.

Sondek
04-21-2004, 07:31 AM
I was in an establishment recently that was outfitted with classic Polk model 7C's. I asked the owner why he chose those. Outside of economics, he said among many speakers he felt the polk had the best detail at low to moderate volume.

Recommendations:

Polk monitor 5A, 7C, RTA or SDA 12 and so on. Models made through 1989.

They use a passive radiator (IIRC "fluid coupled bass trasnducer or some haughty ad hype) and the bass output at a low to moderate level is quite substantial.

Not to mention these speakers are transparent, easy to drive, and you can listen to them all day without fatigue.

Bryan
04-22-2004, 07:20 AM
What sort of specific budget are we working with here? If your friend is including the bass module then you may want to take him up on his offer. Why? Two reasons. 1. You can resell the Bose at a later time. You can make money on it and that can either be used towards other equipment or movies, etc. 2. More money can be put towards a quality sub.

Free can be a great thing. The Bose, provided the bass module is included, can give you 5.1 and you can supplement the bass with a real sub, one that you will be moving into your new HT room. Perhaps something along the lines of the HSU (http://www.hsuresearch.com) VTF-2, Adire Audio (http://www.adireaudio.com) Rava, or VMPS New Original Subwoofer ($400 at audiogon.com though know you will need something to power it with).

You may also choose to build your system slowly, going with a couple speakers and center. If you will be using this system for mostly HT (75% or more) then consider speakers such as the nOrh (http://www.norh.com) 4.0 video system or Onix (http://www.av123.com) Rocket ELT. If not, perhaps look at something such as the Rocket RS550 or RS750 mains (include the risers - mine are backordered) and the RSC200 center and build up from there.

Coach Harry
04-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Wow,

So many options, thanks all. As for the Bose, he would be giving me five double cubes, but would be VERY offended if I turned around and sold them.

I would feel comfortable spending somewhere between free and $1,500.00 for a set of speakers, I just couldn't do it all at once ( this remodeling stuff is so darn expensive! ). The Onkyo's were on sale for under $200.00 and like I said while not an audiophiles dream, they are a big step up from the little speakers in my TV.

I don't mind building slowly which brings to mind another question, how would you start, mains and center, mains and surrounds, center and surrounds, etc. The Onkyos will fill in the gaps until I can purchase the complete 7.1 ssytem. I should specify, these would be for round 75% movies and the balance "classic rock".

Thanks again for all the input, I used to think that photography had a lot of options, for spending money this HT stuff blows that hobby out of the water!

Best regards,
-harry

Soundbro
04-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Listening to your request and desires, you would probably be very satisfied with some Polk LS series speakers. They have a pretty potent tweeter on them for your highs and don't cost a great deal. Check them out at a Circuit City near you or visit www.polkaudio.com and locate a dealer.

maxg
04-23-2004, 01:37 AM
If you get to hear the Klipsch reference line they now start rather lower than the 3 series. There is a new tower model (the RF 15 - I think) that is pretty good for the money, and, as others have said, is a very easy load to drive.

You can see info on the whole Klipsch range at www.klipsch.com

As this is the second link I have provided to that site I ought to point out that I am not a Klipsch employee - I dont even own any of their speakers at the moment.

3db
04-23-2004, 05:41 AM
I recently purchased a nice Yamaha RX-V1400 A/V Receiver and would like to match them up with a decent set of speakers. I currently have the low end Onkyo 6.1 speakers and while they beat the speaker built into my TV I know there is more to life.

I am probably a bit older then the mean here, and after many years playing in R&R bands I have lost a lot of sensitivity to higher frequency tones. As an example in my car I have to turn the treble all the way up and cut back a bit on the bass just to get a CD to sound like I know it should.

In addition I generally end up listening to movies at a lower volume ( unless I am the only one home that is :p ) and so would like a set of speakers that will still render a nice detailed and complex sound even when not cranked.

I cannot spend thousands on a system, but don't want junk either. A friend has offered me a set of 5 Bose double cubes, but I am not sure that is the best way for me to go. If I did go with the Bose, I would need a sub and 2 more speakers ( perhaps mains),

Finally the room is only 15x15, is carpeted, but has way too many doors and windows, eventually I will have a nice 13x25 room, but that will not be till next year when the basement is remodeled.

Thanks in advance,
-harry

IHow much money are you willing to shell out for your speakers? Without that info, its difficult to recommend choices

Bryan
04-23-2004, 07:28 AM
If you're comfortable purchasing B stock speakers, there is a pair of rosewood Onix Rocket RS550s on sale now at www.av123.com for $599 plus shipping (should end up being around $700 or so delivered). (I believe a person on audiogon.com may still have a pair for sale for $520 delivered that are 3 - 4 months old.) Add on the risers for $125 delivered and you will be well on your way towards a wonderful HT/music system. Of course, there is also a pair of signature RS750s there for $880 plus shipping (unsure of how much that would be). Take a look at www.audioenvy.com to see if anyone has those in your area and will let you audition them. Add on a RSC200 center later on and a pair or two of surrounds/side surrounds and you should be a very happy camper. For the sub, a SVS (http://www.svsubwoofers.com) 20-39PC+ should be all that you ever want or need or even one of the previously mentioned subs will work wonderfully.

Coach Harry
05-05-2004, 06:47 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback. For my needs I decided I liked the Klipsch sound the best and then I ran into a very good deal on a Klipsch "classic" synergy system and decided to start there. In the next week I will be receiveing a set of KSB1.1 mains, KSB-S1 surrounds, a KSC-C1 center, and a KSW100 subwoofer.

The above set-up will give me 5.1 sound, now I have to decide what to add to give me full 7.1 sound. I want to stay with a voice matched system and to that end figure I can go with one of the following;

A) Add a set of KSB3.1mains and move the KSB1.1 speakers to my side surrounds

B) Add another set of KSB-S1 speakers as my side surrounds.

C) Add a set of SS 1 speakers as my side surrounds.

My concern with otption B is that having no horns in them the KSB-S1s will be a little flat for side surrounds. Any opinions out there?

Thanks again,
-harry

Lord Nikon
05-05-2004, 07:19 AM
I didn't see you mention a budget, but if you are not made of money I would recommend www.ascendacoustics.com . Some of the guys here recommended them to me, and I am nothing short of amazed by them. All I have are 2 mains and a center channel right now on a 1997 inexpensive technics reciever and they still sound a 1,000x better than the cerwin vega speakers I had before. I am planning to get a new reciever soon, the Yamaha RX-V1400 like yourself and probably a HSU sub. I cannot even imagine how amazing my HT system will sound. It helps me not feel bad about having a complete 6.1 system, which is my final goal. :)