A question for dog owners... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A question for dog owners...

ForeverAutumn
07-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Hubby and I have been asked whether we would like to adopt a dog who's current owner is moving out west and, for unknown reasons, can't take her dog with her.

We've met this dog once and she was lovely. After spending an afternoon with her I actually said to Hubby, "if we ever get a dog I would want a dog like Mecca".

We've discussed dogs in the past, but have been concerned about how much a dog might tie us down. We have two cats and they are so much more independant and easy to care for than dogs.

So, my question is this...I know how much having a dog enriches peoples lives, but have any of you who own dogs ever felt too tied down or like you couldn't do the things that you wanted to do because of the dog?

dean_martin
07-26-2012, 10:02 AM
We have to board our dogs or find a "sitter" when we go on most trips. We begin to worry about them. I guess it's a wash. Sometimes we feel tied down, but on the other hand we miss them when we're gone. Day trips or nights out are no problem (until we get home and our big dog won't let us hear the end of it).

Hyfi
07-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Not currently an owner but for that exact reason. We dog sit a friend's dog now and then and always get the urge, but then remember that we are sitting while they are vacationing. As much as I would like one, I can't get past not being able to come and go wherever and whenever without having to obligate someone or pay for boarding and who knows what kind of treatment.

3LB
07-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Yep, its always a concern. We have a dog who's brother is owned by the inlaws. We take turns watching each others dogs, so it works out. We have on occasion dogsat for other people with mixed success. One woman we sat for, oy vey, what a freaking nuerotic mess that ***** was... dog wasn't much better. Complete nervous breakdown when left alone for any length of time, shedded, pissed on our carpet (the dog) and terrorized our cat (we raised our dog and cat together, so no trouble there).

Make sure you have a sitter you trust and that your dog isn't a total pain in the ass and it shouldn't be too burdensome.

ForeverAutumn
07-26-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm not worried so much about vacations and that sort of thing. We have to make arrangements for our cats when we go away too. We have friends who we could ask to take in the dog for a week or we could board her. We don't go on a lot of vacations anyway. Two weeks per year, if that, and one of those weeks is to a cottage where we could bring a dog with us. I'm more concerned about the day to day stuff. Like, a few weeks ago I went to a concert with my brother. His dog can't be left alone for more than 7 hours without a pee break, so instead of going out for dinner we had dinner at his house.

How long can dogs go without having to go outside? What happens when you're at work all day? Do you folks hire dog walkers?

I've always owned cats and small animals (rats, ferrets, guinea pigs), I've never owned a dog. So I'm trying to learn what I can before making this decision. It has to be right for everyone involved, including our two cats.

JohnMichael
07-26-2012, 11:43 AM
I do not feel tied down but on the other hand I enjoy my dog so much I would rather walk or play with him. If I do travel I have a sister who loves dogs and has a large fenced in back yard. She will also be his adoptive parent if anything happens to me.

Cats are great but I did not need one that was so independent that my only purpose in life was filling food and water after emptying the litter box. I do not need to be ignored by another living thing.

When I come home after a day of work it is nice to be greeted with enthusiasm. He jumps up and down, gives kisses and then wants to play. We then put our harnesses on and go outside for our walk. Yesterday we walked at 6 AM, 5 and 10 PM. Our walks can be as long as 2 1/2 hours in the evening due to Corky's popularity. Corky loves all and once someone has been kind and shown him attention he does not forget.

Yes you need a dog. Adopting is the best thing I have done for myself. Good dogs deserve good people. I know you are good people.

ForeverAutumn
07-26-2012, 11:52 AM
And is Corky okay in the apartment from 6am to 5pm? That's a pretty long span.

ForeverAutumn
07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Good dogs deserve good people. I know you are good people.

Aw, thanks. :)

And BTW, my cats greet me at the door when I come home and we all play for a while before they get their dinner. Then after dinner, Stanley will sit on the coffee table and watch TV with me while Brandy curls up on my lap and purrs. I am seldom ignored by either one of them. You just need to find the right cat. :yesnod: Except, of course, you've already found the right dog. :)

JohnMichael
07-26-2012, 12:19 PM
And is Corky okay in the apartment from 6am to 5pm? That's a pretty long span.

Corky is happy in his own bedroom and has a 14 hour bladder. Corky is 4-5 years old. I think puppies and older dogs might not do as well.

JohnMichael
07-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Oh and by the way any knowledge I have of dogs was taught to me by Corky. He broke me in right.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-26-2012, 03:39 PM
I do not feel tied down but on the other hand I enjoy my dog so much I would rather walk or play with him. If I do travel I have a sister who loves dogs and has a large fenced in back yard. She will also be his adoptive parent if anything happens to me.

Cats are great but I did not need one that was so independent that my only purpose in life was filling food and water after emptying the litter box. I do not need to be ignored by another living thing.

When I come home after a day of work it is nice to be greeted with enthusiasm. He jumps up and down, gives kisses and then wants to play. We then put our harnesses on and go outside for our walk. Yesterday we walked at 6 AM, 5 and 10 PM. Our walks can be as long as 2 1/2 hours in the evening due to Corky's popularity. Corky loves all and once someone has been kind and shown him attention he does not forget.

Yes you need a dog. Adopting is the best thing I have done for myself. Good dogs deserve good people. I know you are good people.

A man after my own heart. I have four dogs, and that is four times the responsibility as one. I love my dogs, they complain a lot less than my twins, are not moody, are always happy to see me, and are beloved by my friends and family. I travel a lot, but my son's and best friends are always around when I need someone to care for my dogs when I travel - which is a lot these days. Since my dogs are fully trained, they have no issues about caring for them in their homes, or at my house.

The pleasure my dogs give me far outweigh any inconviences that come with having them. I have never been sorry I got my four dogs, but then I am a dog trainer.

ForeverAutumn
07-31-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks for all your help and support everyone. After lots of discussion and soul searching my husband and I decided that as much as we would like a dog, we really don't spend enough time at home and it would be unfair to the dog. Cats are better suited to our lifestyle right now.

In the meantime Mecca has found a loving new home with her original owner's sister. :)

JohnMichael
08-01-2012, 05:45 AM
Thanks for all your help and support everyone. After lots of discussion and soul searching my husband and I decided that as much as we would like a dog, we really don't spend enough time at home and it would be unfair to the dog. Cats are better suited to our lifestyle right now.

In the meantime Mecca has found a loving new home with her original owner's sister. :)

I am glad Mecca is living with her aunt. One day when you are ready I hope you will enjoy the love of a dog. Corky needs me but gives so much back.

Woochifer
08-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Glad to hear that Corky found a good home. Dogs are like a member of the family. We don't even think twice about accommodating our dogs' needs. It's just second nature and not all that different from being "tied down" after having children.

When my wife first got our previous dog, she had a fenced in area built in the garage, along with a dog door, and a fenced dog run in the side yard. She did all that so she would not have to worry about where the dog relieves himself. Yes, it was quite an undertaking, but it was also peace of mind.

With Pepper, our current dog, he wasn't used to the dog door, so he had some accidents. We resorted to using pee pads in the garage until he figured out the dog door and laid claim to the side yard.

I've never been a cat person myself. Yeah, dogs are more needy, but they also integrate themselves into your life a lot more. When we decided to adopt another dog after our previously one died last year, we went through a family dog rescue group and never imagined that we would wind up a small dog. But, when we met him, he bonded instantly with our 4-year old. Since Pepper was only one-year old, the two of them will be partners in crime for quite a while. This was his kennel shot.

http://d1ihe8iurr5ss7.cloudfront.net/animals/fullsize/s4516a3403298m8353098.jpg

kexodusc
08-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Damn, I was too late to this thread to talking you into it FA! But I'll echo the sentiments...it's just a matter of time for you - give in and accept it. Before my twins, we travelled a lot, and just made it work. The 200-300+ days you are home, you'll love the dog. And cats (one now deceased) were our dog's best friend!

So here's my prediction - by August 2013, ForeverAutumn posts pics of her new dog right here at AR.com!

ForeverAutumn
08-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Damn, I was too late to this thread to talking you into it FA! But I'll echo the sentiments...it's just a matter of time for you - give in and accept it. Before my twins, we travelled a lot, and just made it work. The 200-300+ days you are home, you'll love the dog. And cats (one now deceased) were our dog's best friend!

So here's my prediction - by August 2013, ForeverAutumn posts pics of her new dog right here at AR.com!

LOL! I don't doubt that there's a dog in our future. Not sure about the next year though, it's more likely that we'll have a third cat before the year is out. :)

StevenSurprenant
08-14-2012, 04:11 AM
So, my question is this...I know how much having a dog enriches peoples lives, but have any of you who own dogs ever felt too tied down or like you couldn't do the things that you wanted to do because of the dog?

Short answer: "Yes", but I got over that when I decided the rewards of having him in my life outweighed any negatives.

For some people, like myself, our dogs become the center of our life and nothing is more important. He's long since gone, but I have a friend who's dogs I care for from time to time. They cannot replace my dog, but they are wonderful people, nevertheless.