New Vinyl [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Vinyl

Jack in Wilmington
07-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Received these in the late afternoon mail while we were down at the neighbors for a graduation party. Now it's time to stir up a gin and bitter lemon, kick my sandles off and relax. I bought the new Santana after only hearing bits of some of the tracks and some of the reviews I read from other listeners.

richmon
07-23-2012, 06:26 AM
The one thing keeping me from buying new Vinyl is the price, most I see are $20. I'm finding lots of used vinyl in the 6 dollar range and having a big time spinning my newfound treasures.

I see you have the MMF5.1, I recently picked up a MMF7 and amazed at how 'right' it sounds with a tube pre, mustva bought over 100 albums in the last year.

If you get down to Baltimore, there's a record show with dozens of dealers, third Sunday of each month, drop me an email if you want to check it out. Everything from $2 bargins to $50 rareities, I picked up Electric Ladyland with the nudes cover for $60, couldn't help myself.
Record-Show (http://www.arbutusvfd.org/record.htm)

Was listening to Bob James Touchdown that I picked up for $2 last night, real nice album, good recording too.

Jack in Wilmington
07-23-2012, 07:01 AM
You're right about that, new vinyl isn't cheap. Those three cost me $73.00 with free shiping. I do try to hit the used stores when I can. Thanks for the tip on Baltimore, I'll check it out.

nobody
07-23-2012, 09:55 AM
I but a decent amount of new vinyl and it seems like the price varies pretty dramatically from label to label with a lot of indies staying closer to the $10 mark while the bigger companies go for $20 or more. I often pass on records over $20 myself, unless it is something I am really craving. Seems like prices are going up lately too. I'd say last year I was still finding a ton of stuff for $10 and under while this year even the smaller labels are trending more towards $12-15 in a lot of cases. I haven't bought a new CD in ages so not sure how those prices compare, but the vinyl prices certainly do mean I have to be picky about what I get these days. I seldom buy anything I've not heard and decided I really want these days. Tossing $8-10 bucks away on a chance is something I'm OK with a lot of times, $20 or more, not so much. I get how vinyl is more expensive to produce and when you figure in distributors and retail outlets needing to make a buck and all, the prices aren't really too outrageous in most cases. But I think once you get around $25 and over it gets sorta ridiculous. I'm really not sure there is an artist out there that I'd pay that much or more for.