Q about connecting B&W's to Bookshelf receiver/decoder [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Q about connecting B&W's to Bookshelf receiver/decoder

Rich-n-Texas
04-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Hello. I'm new to the site and would like to first say hi.

I have a set of B&W Matrix 804 Series 1 loudspeakers, B&W P6 floorstanders, an HTM Matrix center, and an 800 ASW Subwoofer that I'd like to connect to my Panasonic SC-AK600 CD Stereo system/decoder with Bi-amp output @ 6 ohms impedance, 320 total watts output. This would be an interim setup until I receive my Yamaha HTR 5740 in June. My question is, do I run the risk of harming my decoder's amp by connecting the full speaker set to it? The manual for the 804's indicate "nominal 8 ohm impedance (not falling below 4 ohms)", and it also shows "suitable for amplifiers with 50 to 200 watt output into 4 ohms. I really want to check these speakers out on a surround system, and I just don't want to wait 'til June if I don't have to. Thanks for the help.

Rich

paul_pci
04-18-2004, 12:55 PM
Hello. I'm new to the site and would like to first say hi.

I have a set of B&W Matrix 804 Series 1 loudspeakers, B&W P6 floorstanders, an HTM Matrix center, and an 800 ASW Subwoofer that I'd like to connect to my Panasonic SC-AK600 CD Stereo system/decoder with Bi-amp output @ 6 ohms impedance, 320 total watts output. This would be an interim setup until I receive my Yamaha HTR 5740 in June. My question is, do I run the risk of harming my decoder's amp by connecting the full speaker set to it? The manual for the 804's indicate "nominal 8 ohm impedance (not falling below 4 ohms)", and it also shows "suitable for amplifiers with 50 to 200 watt output into 4 ohms. I really want to check these speakers out on a surround system, and I just don't want to wait 'til June if I don't have to. Thanks for the help.

Rich

Disclaimer: Haven't quite had enough coffee yet.

Okay, if you only have a two channel amp/decoder, whatever, then you won't be able to check out your speakers in surround sound. Again, this may be the coffee factor, but it seems like you would not be getting 5.1 descrete channels of sound, but two channels mickey-moused into your current speaker package. If this is the case, I would say, it's not really worth the experimentation. Also, your post begs the question, why do you have to wait until June for the new Yamaha?

Rich-n-Texas
04-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the response.

As far as I know, the factory hasn't released the HTR 5740 yet. That's what I get at Amazon.com, which is where I ordered it from. I trust Amazon for all of my non-computer parts purchases, and I'll get free shipping when it's ready. If it's already out, then shame on me for not doing all my homework! :o

The decoder is full 5.1 Surround, with the front channels Bi-amped for the included speakers that have wiring for each of the two speakers contained within the cabinet. I have a total of four binding holes for the front speakers, binders for a center and for the rear surround speakers, and an RCA socket for the sub, so I know I'd be able to make the proper connections to utilize all six speakers. My concern is with puting too much load on the reciever's amp section. Is that possible?

Rich-n-Texas
08-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Gee, thanks for all the help guys! :mad:

J/K :lol:

pixelthis
08-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Gee, thanks for all the help guys! :mad:

J/K :lol:
Do you realize what pain it causes for someone who cant afford 804's to read such a post?
(I have an asw2500 but it needs a new amp)
But , rich on paper, while you seem a decent guy you still dont get it, for these type speakers five THOUSAND in amps alone is the bare minimum, plus the
pre-pro.
otherwise you're wasting your money, might as well get a set of Polks from Circuit city
if you're gonna run these with a YAMAHA RECEIVER:incazzato:
(zeeeeeezus)

PeruvianSkies
08-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Do you realize what pain it causes for someone who cant afford 804's to read such a post?
(I have an asw2500 but it needs a new amp)
But , rich on paper, while you seem a decent guy you still dont get it, for these type speakers five THOUSAND in amps alone is the bare minimum, plus the
pre-pro.
otherwise you're wasting your money, might as well get a set of Polks from Circuit city
if you're gonna run these with a YAMAHA RECEIVER:incazzato:
(zeeeeeezus)

So then what you are saying is that running Polk's from a Yamaha receiver will be the same as running the B&W's????

musicman1999
08-09-2007, 03:23 AM
I think what he means is that the Yamaha is not capable of making the B&W's all they can be.And it scares me to agree with him.but i do.

bill

Rich-n-Texas
08-09-2007, 04:06 AM
Seriously though, my only intention with dragging this post up from the depths was to brag about my join date. :biggrin5:

I'm looking into something like a Yamaha 5990 with pre-outs, then a separate amp further down the road. It's been made clear to me already that the B&W's in their current configuration are undernourished.

pixelthis
08-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Seriously though, my only intention with dragging this post up from the depths was to brag about my join date. :biggrin5:

I'm looking into something like a Yamaha 5990 with pre-outs, then a separate amp further down the road. It's been made clear to me already that the B&W's in their current configuration are undernourished.
Yamaha makes a great receiver, I ran a set of beemers (which I am currently using)
with a rxv-800.
But they are famous for their inefficency, the more juice the better.
And not just juice but REFINED juice.
A yamaha receiver is great if you're bootstrapping yourself into a world class system,
you might want a decent set of amps for the fronts, center, etc, and gradually
replace the others, eventually getting a pre-pro to replace the receiver as the control center
when you've replaced some of the amps
Or something along that line, basically, running a quality set of speakers with a standard
receiver is like putting a 79 pinto engine in a corvette.
Classe, krell, or something along that line is what you need, or maybe Rotel.
If budget is a problem Outlaw audio has a nice range of cheap amps that are reviewed
well, I hear they are made by ATI, a quality amp company.
Seperate amps have beefier power supplies, better damping factors by a large margin,
etc.
The front three are the most important, you could get by with the rears from the yamaha,
them maybe sometime in the future upgrade the rears when you upgrade to a preamp-
processor (pre-pro).
Its expensive but doesn't need to be done all at once.
just, please, don't be like the little old lady driving her Lexus 20 miles an hour down the road:sad:

PeruvianSkies
08-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Yamaha makes a great receiver, I ran a set of beemers (which I am currently using)
with a rxv-800.
But they are famous for their inefficency, the more juice the better.
And not just juice but REFINED juice.
A yamaha receiver is great if you're bootstrapping yourself into a world class system,
you might want a decent set of amps for the fronts, center, etc, and gradually
replace the others, eventually getting a pre-pro to replace the receiver as the control center
when you've replaced some of the amps
Or something along that line, basically, running a quality set of speakers with a standard
receiver is like putting a 79 pinto engine in a corvette.
Classe, krell, or something along that line is what you need, or maybe Rotel.
If budget is a problem Outlaw audio has a nice range of cheap amps that are reviewed
well, I hear they are made by ATI, a quality amp company.
Seperate amps have beefier power supplies, better damping factors by a large margin,
etc.
The front three are the most important, you could get by with the rears from the yamaha,
them maybe sometime in the future upgrade the rears when you upgrade to a preamp-
processor (pre-pro).
Its expensive but doesn't need to be done all at once.
just, please, don't be like the little old lady driving her Lexus 20 miles an hour down the road:sad:

If you get the 'refined juice' does that allow you to hear the TIMBER in the voices?

pixelthis
08-12-2007, 12:26 AM
If you get the 'refined juice' does that allow you to hear the TIMBER in the voices?
I've got some "refined juice" for ya:ihih:

PeruvianSkies
08-12-2007, 12:32 AM
I've got some "refined juice" for ya:ihih:

I'm sure you do. How about you keep that to yourself and your Uncle Sugar.