Davey's right again - Silver Jews - Early Times [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Davey's right again - Silver Jews - Early Times

Jim Clark
07-19-2012, 05:45 AM
One more than one occasion Davey has reflected on his Silver Jews fandom. Not sure how I came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me. Maybe it was as simple as a track on a comp that I didn't dig or whatever. Fast forward to a few days ago when I saw a copy of their recent compilation of their early works. I've been listening to it pretty much non-stop ever since. Perfect for the car, run, or lifting. This thing takes lo-fi to a new low (lo!). Still, I can't stop listening. This is the sort of thing that nobody I know in real life would like and I'd probably have a hard time explaining what about it appeals to me. All I can say is that aging punk rockers might find this a lot of fun.

jc

bobsticks
07-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Yeah, you might have heard a copy of the regrettable Party Barge or one of their other unsuccessful attempts at pop. I'm gonna have to check out the earaliest part of the catalog to see if it's any closer to my bag...

Davey
07-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Well, I'm definitely right that Silver Jews made some amazing music in those early days... but I have the Arizona EP, which I think is about half of that collection, and can't say that I gave it enough listens to make it past the recording. Just looked and this is what I told Swish Daddy awhile back ...

I have a bunch of them, even the first Arizona Record EP that is a really cheap-ass and crappy sounding recording. Not recommended, but had to hear it. You definitely need to get your hands on Starlite Walker.

So yea, some of the time I'm mostly right :)

BTW, Starlite Walker is ramshackling its way through my morning right now, and I feel alright.

http://forums.audioreview.com/rave-recordings/silver-jews-question-36920.html

Jim Clark
07-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I think this was actually recorded on a boombox. There's just this amazing raw energy and joy that somehow manages to shine right through. It's closer to the earliest days of punk rock than anything I've heard in a while. It feels like they're mainly just fleshing out songs and sitting around having a blast. There's enough song there to call it music but there's certainly no shine at all.

jc

Swish
07-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Well, I'm definitely right that Silver Jews made some amazing music in those early days... but I have the Arizona EP, which I think is about half of that collection, and can't say that I gave it enough listens to make it past the recording. Just looked and this is what I told Swish Daddy awhile back ...

So yea, some of the time I'm mostly right :)

BTW, Starlite Walker is ramshackling its way through my morning right now, and I feel alright.

http://forums.audioreview.com/rave-recordings/silver-jews-question-36920.html

Not as much as American Water, but it's pretty fine stuff.

Davey
07-19-2012, 08:38 PM
...American Water....

Yea, that's probably close as it gets to a classic in the modern world. At times, indispensable. At other times, just short of a perfect day.

Davey
07-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Nothing really new to add, it's all been said before, but I just kinda always liked this thread title.

Got some Newcastle Founder's Ale flowing (not bad for cheapass ale), some Silver Jews playing (in 1984 I was hospitalized for approaching perfection... slowly screwing my way across Europe, they had to make a correction), and some kind of beef roast is simmering low and slow on the stovetop in a braise of that same Founder's Ale along with some soy and stock (smells good, don't you know).

American Water is one of the best. I wonder if people will know about this record in another 20 years? I wonder how many even know now? I wonder how I would be different if I had never heard of this record, and never heard it so many times, never talked about it with some of you? I wonder if records can really change our lives once we get to a certain age?

Kind of a shame, in an age when almost anyone can release a record, how can you make a living anymore? I read recently that there were something like 70-80 thousand releases tracked in 2011, and 2% of those generated 90% of the sales. Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be <s>Cowboys</s> Musicians.

We've been raised on replicas of fake and winding roads
and day after day up on this beautiful stage
we've been playing tambourine for minimum wage
but we are real, I know we are real.