Movie Rental Home Delivery Service [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Movie Rental Home Delivery Service

Smokey
07-12-2012, 07:46 PM
http://wegotmovies.net/templates/newred/images/WGM_TRANSPARENT_3.png

A new home entertainment rental service has launched, offering door-to-door delivery of movies and video game rentals. We Got Movies — based in Cherry Hill, N.J. — dubs itself as an alternative to Netflix and Redbox by delivering disc rentals in person to the consumer instead of by-mail or kiosk.

For $15 a month, consumers can have four movie rentals delivered weekly. For $25 a month, the service will deliver five titles along with a 2 liter bottle of soda, movie candy or popcorn. Individual new-release movies can be rented for $3 each for a 72-hour period. Catalog titles cost $3 each for five days.

For customers who play video games, $35 a month will deliver two video games and a 2 liter bottle of soda, movie candy or popcorn weekly. A video game rents for $7.50 for five days.

Titles are rented online (www.wegotmovies.net) and delivered in person. There are no late fees or service contracts.

Let's hope the Popcorn is not stale :D

markw
07-13-2012, 06:33 AM
I strongly question any company that guarantees to do it's own "in-house" delivery. Do you have any idea qhat kind of infrastructure is needed to accomplish this on any but a very, very local scale?

For 7.99/month, Netflix will deliver, by mail, an unlimited number of movies one at a time. Our experience is that it takes about 3 - 4 days to get the next movie from the day we return the previous one.

Smokey
07-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I strongly question any company that guarantees to do it's own "in-house" delivery. Do you have any idea what kind of infrastructure is needed to accomplish this on any but a very, very local scale?

Just check their FAQ page and looks like they only deliver in South Jersey and Philadelphia. Per movie rental cost seem to be the same as Netflix where for $15 a month, one can get a about 16 movies....hand delivered :)

markw
07-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Just check their FAQ page and looks like they only deliver in South Jersey and Philadelphia. Per movie rental cost seem to be the same as Netflix where for $15 a month, one can get a about 16 movies....hand delivered :)I'm curious how this will turn out. I find it curious that a very local provider has the chutzpah to call themselves the "#1 provider of movies and games".

I'd like to know how their delivery staff gets paid. Pizza delivery people depend on tips to survive and, in Philly, probably police protection as well. The post office doesn't expect tips. Delivery personel generally do.

Post again in a year and let us know how it's doing. I predict bankruptcy.

Smokey
07-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Post again in a year and let us know how it's doing. I predict bankruptcy.

Since that company is in your neck of the woods, you're probably in better position to tell us how they are doing :)

They delivere weekly or on 3 day base, so I'm guessing they try to zone out each section of their coverage area on daily bases so they don't have to run all over town. Video stores usually don't have too much overhead and their most expense probably will be drivers labor and gas.

But as you said, it probably will be a tough going.

markw
07-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Thry are in the exact opposite corner of Jersey. My opinion comes from knowing what vehicle costs are in this state. What with insurance being ridiculously high, not to mention gas, maintenance, drivers cost, it all adds up to a very expensive proposition.

They would be better off sending the media in the mail with a coupon for the soda and popcorn, redeemable at your local supermarket chaim.. Downside then is that they would have to foot the retail cost of the goodies. Wholesale, popcorn and soda is dirt cheap compared to the drlivery costs.

But, maybe they can treat the driversd liks pizza drivers who work for tips and peanuts and routinely et mugged around here. I wonder if the drivers will be required to carry cash to make change?

All in all, it sounds like a bad deal for the drivers.

Smokey
07-17-2012, 08:25 PM
I wonder if the drivers will be required to carry cash to make change?

I am guessing if members pay via the web site, the drivers wouldn't have to carry change. So if driver get mugged, the robber will only get movies :D

On their web site it said that they only deliver from 10am to 8pm which is the same hours as UPS delivery guys.

markw
07-18-2012, 04:52 AM
I am guessing if members pay via the web site, the drivers wouldn't have to carry change. So if driver get mugged, the robber will only get movies :DThat might be great for the monthly fees but I see they charge for each DVD/game they rent on top of that. That's a lot of little charges on plastic every month.

I wonder what fees they get from their credit card processor. Trust me, those pennies add up.

On their web site it said that they only deliver from 10am to 8pm which is the same hours as UPS delivery guys.That's pretty much the hours most people are at work. I guess they could ust leave 'em outside if no cash needs to change hands. Legally, they can't drop 'em in the mailbox.

It's a great concept but I just doubt the business models profitability.

Invader3k
07-18-2012, 06:16 AM
A guy not too far from here tried a similar concept about a decade ago. I think he made it about six months. Just not enough interest, and at that time people were still used to going to local movie rental shops. I bet he saw the writing on the wall with Redbox and Netflix coming around the corner.