Blew up the Krell S-300i [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blew up the Krell S-300i

JohnMichael
07-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Back to the service department again. The bi-wire pair of the AlphaCore MI1's proved to be too much a load for the amp and it shut down. It will not power back up so off to Krell it goes.

They will repair it under warranty unless it is something catastrophic. I was honest in how the failure happened and I am pleased that they are going to treat it as a warranty repair unless it is a real mess.

AlphaCore is sending me resistive links to use with the cables when the amp comes back. Both companies have been very helpful.

The Onkyo A-9555 is once again my integrated amp of choice or should I say only choice.

Has anyone else blown up any good amps lately?

ForeverAutumn
07-12-2012, 11:52 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KUtdXzBSVaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JohnMichael
07-12-2012, 12:12 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KUtdXzBSVaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It might be a little early to laugh about a man's equipment.:cryin: Luclily there was no smoke so no curtains were harmed in the conflagration.

Feanor
07-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Back to the service department again. The bi-wire pair of the AlphaCore MI1's proved to be too much a load for the amp and it shut down. It will not power back up so off to Krell it goes.

They will repair it under warranty unless it is something catastrophic. I was honest in how the failure happened and I am pleased that they are going to treat it as a warranty repair unless it is a real mess.

AlphaCore is sending me resistive links to use with the cables when the amp comes back. Both companies have been very helpful.

The Onkyo A-9555 is once again my integrated amp of choice or should I say only choice.

Has anyone else blown up any good amps lately?
Surely this isn't what we expect of a Krell amp. I don't see that the bi-wire AlphaCores should be enough lower in impedance to bother a Krell.

Class D amps are generally quite tolerant of speaker (& cable) loads, so hopefully that applies to the Onkyo.

BadAssJazz
07-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Hopefully the repair will be a snap, so to speak.

JohnMichael
07-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Surely this isn't what we expect of a Krell amp. I don't see that the bi-wire AlphaCores should be enough lower in impedance to bother a Krell.

Class D amps are generally quite tolerant of speaker (& cable) loads, so hopefully that applies to the Onkyo.

Dan D'Agostino was a big fan of AlphaCore and asked them to create the largest ribbon cables. I knew they could create problems with some amps but I did not expect it with a Krell. Of course I do know it was for his huge mono amps and the integrated amps are not built to that level. The S-300i is a beautiful in it's neutrality kind of amp.

I will not try the bi-wire cables until I have the resistive elements to eliminate this problem.

JohnMichael
07-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Hopefully the repair will be a snap, so to speak.

Thanks, from a zap to a snap. What is interesting was that it was not on long enough for the case to even get warm.

bobsticks
07-12-2012, 08:44 PM
John, I'm sorry you're having to suffer through the inconvenience. I'll be raising a glass in hopes of much luck in a speedy repair. I know the Onkyo is capable but far from preferred.

Cheers

RGA
07-12-2012, 11:13 PM
You're really not selling Krell to me. The sound never sold me but I was under the impression they could drive anything - isn't that the whole point of them?

JohnMichael
07-13-2012, 01:35 AM
You're really not selling Krell to me. The sound never sold me but I was under the impression they could drive anything - isn't that the whole point of them?

Thanks for being your warm self. I like the sound and will miss that amp. Have you heard the S-300i?

JohnMichael
07-13-2012, 02:09 AM
John, I'm sorry you're having to suffer through the inconvenience. I'll be raising a glass in hopes of much luck in a speedy repair. I know the Onkyo is capable but far from preferred.

Cheers

Thanks bobsticks. I truly enjoy the S-300i and while the Onkyo is a good int. amp for it's cost it is not as focused or as neutral as the Krell. I miss the tight controlled bass from the Krell as opposed to the loose bass of the Onkyo.

GMichael
07-13-2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks bobsticks. I truly enjoy the S-300i and while the Onkyo is a good int. amp for it's cost it is not as focused or as neutral as the Krell. I miss the tight controlled bass from the Krell as opposed to the loose bass of the Onkyo.

So many puns can be made from this one, but in respect for your failed amp, I'll just wish it a speedy recovery.

Hope you get your Krell friend back home soon.

bobsticks
07-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Puns? Jokes? I don't see it.

Who doesn't enjoy a nice, controlled bass rather than loose, sloppy bass...? :D

I've spent a lot of money to get nice, controllable bass...:p

GMichael
07-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Puns? Jokes? I don't see it.

Who doesn't enjoy a nice, controlled _ass rather than loose, sloppy _ass...? :D

I've spent a lot of money to get nice, controllable _ass...:p

Not sure what I was thinking.:devil:

JohnMichael
07-13-2012, 06:43 AM
So many puns can be made from this one, but in respect for your failed amp, I'll just wish it a speedy recovery.

Hope you get your Krell friend back home soon.

FA made me laugh and now I need some GM humor to get me through my time without the Krell. My amp might have been made in China but it is being slowly rebuilt in the USA.

I look forward to carrying it down a flight of stairs to the car. The same flight of stairs I fall down for my concussion. Of course the dog will be in his room so I should make it okay.

I am already tired of the Onkyo.

TheHills44060
07-13-2012, 06:57 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing RGA! Frankly the idea of Krell even making integrated amps seems to conflict with the reasoning a consumer would purchase a Krell in the first place. Historically when I hear Krell I think of big brutish amps driving grueling loads. I feel the same way about Martin Logan making speakers other than electrostats...maybe i like to pigeon-hole manufacturers too much.

Hope you get you get your gear back sooner than later JM.

RGA
07-13-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm not trying to be mean JohnMichael but I have always felt that Krell was an amplifier that people buy based on name brand appeal more than any real merit for sound quality. Beating an Onkyo isn't exactly a feather in the cap.

I have read very unremarkable things, talked to dealers who have sold Krell all of whom were very luke-warm to cold to them, and I have never heard a system using a Krell that offered good sound - ever. I personally do not understand the appeal of anything I've ever heard from them and I've heard their top models so if they don't cut it I can't see an integrated improving on their top of the line mega priced separates.

The one thing though is despite my reservation on the sound that they looked to be built well so I basically lumped them in with Bryston. But I am not so sure after reading several forums that they're built all that well against Bryston and they cost a lot more money.

Of course it sucks that it broke and of course it's good that Krell is fixing it (but according to you that is a maybe right now). I guess I just don't see their appeal and your particular unit seems to be a bit of a lemon. If it were me and once fixed I'd be selling it before the next problem arises.

JohnMichael
07-13-2012, 07:53 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing RGA! Frankly the idea of Krell even making integrated amps seems to conflict with the reasoning a consumer would purchase a Krell in the first place. Historically when I hear Krell I think of big brutish amps driving grueling loads. I feel the same way about Martin Logan making speakers other than electrostats...maybe i like to pigeon-hole manufacturers too much.

Hope you get you get your gear back sooner than later JM.

Thanks I hope I get it back soon. I really love the sound of it. I somewhat agree about Krell and their huge mono amps but that is not why I bought the S-300i. I wanted an amp that could drive any speaker I could afford. Having lived with it since 8/2009 the sound has really grown on me. Or should I say the absence of sound. My previous amps were a little colored or had electronic artifacts that creates listener fatigue. The S-300i just does it all well for the price.

Hyfi
07-13-2012, 09:58 AM
JM, sorry your baby crapped the bed and I hope it comes back fast.

Is it possible that they hosed something up when they had it back recently?

JohnMichael
07-13-2012, 10:10 AM
JM, sorry your baby crapped the bed and I hope it comes back fast.

Is it possible that they hosed something up when they had it back recently?

I do not know but it sounded really good when it came home. It was weird because there was no sound in the left channel. Then it shut itself down.

Hyfi
07-13-2012, 10:14 AM
I just lost the left front amp in my HK635 but it's not worth fixing.

dean_martin
07-13-2012, 10:49 AM
It happens. The first time i connected speaker cables (bare wire) to my acurus power amp it not only blew out an amp channel it blew a tweeter in one of my speaks. Had to send both out for repair. Klipsch/acurus blamed me and i had to pay. Acoustic energy fixed the speaker under warranty. Good luck. Hope you're up and running again soon.

JohnMichael
07-13-2012, 10:56 AM
It happens. The first time i connected speaker cables (bare wire) to my acurus power amp it not only blew out an amp channel it blew a tweeter in one of my speaks. Had to send both out for repair. Klipsch/acurus blamed me and i had to pay. Acoustic energy fixed the speaker under warranty. Good luck. Hope you're up and running again soon.

Krell is stepping up. I just receives my return authorization number and their assurance it would be repaired under warranty.

JohnMichael
07-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Wow you are still trying to make me feel better, how sweet. I do like the amp and I have lived with it almost 3 years now. If there was anything I did not like about it I could not live with it listening to music several hours a day. I may have been attracted to the name but I do love the sound.

The amp was sent back for repair due to some noise in the right channel. The amp would still play but when I asked Krell they wanted me to send it in and they found a problem. The second time was my choice of cables. We will not know what happened until the amp has been serviced.

I'm not trying to be mean JohnMichael but I have always felt that Krell was an amplifier that people buy based on name brand appeal more than any real merit for sound quality. Beating an Onkyo isn't exactly a feather in the cap.

I have read very unremarkable things, talked to dealers who have sold Krell all of whom were very luke-warm to cold to them, and I have never heard a system using a Krell that offered good sound - ever. I personally do not understand the appeal of anything I've ever heard from them and I've heard their top models so if they don't cut it I can't see an integrated improving on their top of the line mega priced separates.

The one thing though is despite my reservation on the sound that they looked to be built well so I basically lumped them in with Bryston. But I am not so sure after reading several forums that they're built all that well against Bryston and they cost a lot more money.

Of course it sucks that it broke and of course it's good that Krell is fixing it (but according to you that is a maybe right now). I guess I just don't see their appeal and your particular unit seems to be a bit of a lemon. If it were me and once fixed I'd be selling it before the next problem arises.

TheHills44060
07-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Krell is stepping up. I just receives my return authorization number and their assurance it would be repaired under warranty.
Hey JM are you going through a local dealer or did you contact Krell yourself?

frenchmon
07-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Oh...JM, sorry about your gear man. I know it hurts man. Don't trip off RGA. It really does not matter what he thinks man, he is not a fan. The sad part is he RGA seems to care more about hurting your feelings rather than holding his thoughts at such a ruff time in your life. Some audio bud he is. For me music is like part of me...so is my gear. It would hurt to not be able to have my systems when I needed it.....Its my therapy after work or when I am stressed. Some people drink or eat when stressed or depress...I don't drink...I don't smoke...no drugs...don't chase skirts any more so the only vise I have is my rig and the music I play. Out side of my family and dog and house, it's the most important thing to me. And I'm sure it's has a place in side your heart as well. RGA...your tripping man.

RGA
07-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Sorry John Michael - I thought you were the poster who had to return the Krell because their power cords could catch on fire so I thought you were sending this back a "lot."

It's good that they are repairing it under warranty and it will be up and running and making you happy for the foreseeable future.

JohnMichael
07-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Oh...JM, sorry about your gear man. I know it hurts man. Don't trip off RGA. It really does not matter what he thinks man, he is not a fan. The sad part is he RGA seems to care more about hurting your feelings rather than holding his thoughts at such a ruff time in your life. Some audio bud he is. For me music is like part of me...so is my gear. It would hurt to not be able to have my systems when I needed it.....Its my therapy after work or when I am stressed. Some people drink or eat when stressed or depress...I don't drink...I don't smoke...no drugs...don't chase skirts any more so the only vise I have is my rig and the music I play. Out side of my family and dog and house, it's the most important thing to me. And I'm sure it's has a place in side your heart as well. RGA...your tripping man.

Frenchmon thanks for expressing how I am feeling. Music is also very important to me and for a few weeks I will not get to hear it at it's best. At least the best of the level of what I can afford. Living alone my dog is first followed by my Krell based stereo and third is my art collection.

I depend on music to keep me going. I recently had a client die and another is in the hospital with pneumonia. My late clients wife who I still provide care is very sick and most of my day was spent transporting her back and forth, cleaning her and the areas where she became ill. So music is what helps me relax and prepare for tomorrow.

I was able to buy the Krell due to an inheritance. Nice little windfall that allowed me to have some things that I could not justify at my income. Oh and my trip to Paris.

JoeE SP9
07-13-2012, 06:10 PM
I feel for you JM! I truly understand how much a system can mean. I've been ill myself and I also live alone except for Lucy my cat.

As for RGA, he should be ashamed of himself. I'll bet that were it a piece of Audio Note gear that broke his attitude would be entirely different.

frenchmon
07-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Frenchmon thanks for expressing how I am feeling. Music is also very important to me and for a few weeks I will not get to hear it at it's best. At least the best of the level of what I can afford. Living alone my dog is first followed by my Krell based stereo and third is my art collection.

I depend on music to keep me going. I recently had a client die and another is in the hospital with pneumonia. My late clients wife who I still provide care is very sick and most of my day was spent transporting her back and forth, cleaning her and the areas where she became ill. So music is what helps me relax and prepare for tomorrow.

I was able to buy the Krell due to an inheritance. Nice little windfall that allowed me to have some things that I could not justify at my income. Oh and my trip to Paris.

Well man, hang in there. Now some people may read this and think we are loosers....weird cats that's sobbing over a stereo...but for me out side of my family its my crutch. I can go down in the 2 channel room and sit and be moved inside my soul by sound. Some may call me a looser, weird, stupid....I don't care any more. I am what I am. But I do feel there should be boundaries....and whats dear to a person whether its his God, dog, car, family or whatever, should be off limits. I thought RGA being as knowledgeable as he is and a fellow brother in the hobby would understand that side of it. Art K is also a little down over at the Audiokarma forum as well because of his Rega Apollo-R player, so its wide spread with audiophiles.... Some things and thoughts and opinions are better off not said.

frenchmon
07-14-2012, 01:20 AM
I feel for you JM! I truly understand how much a system can mean. I've been ill myself and I also live alone except for Lucy my cat.

As for RGA, he should be ashamed of himself. I'll bet that were it a piece of Audio Note gear that broke his attitude would be entirely different.

Ahh, I dont mean any ill towards RGA either, I suspect he is still a kid maybe in his late 20's or maybe late 30's....I could be wrong, but hey....we all grow up some times I hope.....or we die trying.

JohnMichael
07-14-2012, 04:31 AM
Hey JM are you going through a local dealer or did you contact Krell yourself?

I am dealing with Krell directly. They are very nice and you get the feeling that they truly want to take care of your product. Or do they hear the seperation anxiety in my voice?

LeRoy
07-14-2012, 06:01 AM
JM, bummer that the Krell is in for repair again. Good for you that Krell is stepping up to fix the problem. I never knew wires could reek havoc on an amp though. I always thought as long as pos and neg wires did not touch then all would be okay. Anyway, good thing you have "back-up" with the Onkyo to help get you through.

JohnMichael
07-14-2012, 06:44 AM
JM, bummer that the Krell is in for repair again. Good for you that Krell is stepping up to fix the problem. I never knew wires could reek havoc on an amp though. I always thought as long as pos and neg wires did not touch then all would be okay. Anyway, good thing you have "back-up" with the Onkyo to help get you through.

Yes I am glad I have the Onkyo. The way the cables are designed they create an interesting load for the amp. I had been using a single run of wires off and on for years and they sounded great with the Krell. Of course if single wire sounds so good I had to find out what bi-wire would sound like. It sounded like distortion and thermal shutdown.

When the Krell is returned I will try it with the bi-wires and the resistive network that is placed across the tweeter binding posts. Well after I receive the all clear from Krell and AlphaCore will I try the MI1 cables again.

The main difference between the Krell and any other int. amp I have owned is a lack of non musical sounds. The Onkyo, Cambridge Audio and Rotel all had enough of a sonic signature that they imparted a sound that would mask some of the finer details. CD's would sound similar to each other due to that coloration. The Krell let everything shine through.

JohnMichael
07-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Since I am unable to listen to my S-300i I am reading it's many reviews. The one common thread is my amp is richer in the midrange than previous Krell int. amps. Rich as far as Krell's sound and solid state. No one claims it is tube like.

I bought some packing tape to seal the inner and outer boxes. I always keep the original packing during the warranty period. Since I am shipping it by UPS I want the boxes to be secure and I buy the insurance to cover the replacement cost.

Then I will just patiently wait on it's welcomed return.

JohnMichael
07-15-2012, 07:33 AM
The Onkyo A-9555 is sounding better with a speaker cable change. It does not have 5 way binding posts so I could not use the AntiCables. The spades will just not work only bare wire and bananas. I had been using some older stranded bi-wire cables but the sound was fuzzy. Even though a solder joint on one banana of the AQ Slates failed I decided to use them any way. 7 of the bananas are in use the one bare wire was tightened down by the binding posts.

The sound is more focused. The stranded cables made everything sound warm and wooly. I am feeling better about the Onkyo but it is still not the S-300i. Oh well it is more listenable in the mean time.

YBArcam
07-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Wow. It's not like RGA said something offensive about JM's wife or kids. He took a shot at Krell. JM's Krell is getting fixed, under warranty I might add, and will arrive safe and sound after that. JM still has a system to listen to. Let's not overreact here. I've had troubles with audio gear before and while we all love the hobby, I think we can all recognize at the end of the day it's not one of the important things. Audio gear are things and things can be replaced. Sure RGA could have been a little more polite but to take offense at what he said is being super-sensitive, IMO.

Anyways JM, hope the Krell gets fixed and gives you years of trouble free enjoyment going forward.

Feanor
07-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Wow. It's not like RGA said something offensive about JM's wife or kids. He took a shot at Krell. JM's Krell is getting fixed, under warranty I might add, and will arrive safe and sound after that. JM still has a system to listen to. Let's not overreact here. I've had troubles with audio gear before and while we all love the hobby, I think we can all recognize at the end of the day it's not one of the important things. Audio gear are things and things can be replaced. Sure RGA could have been a little more polite but to take offense at what he said is being super-sensitive, IMO.

Anyways JM, hope the Krell gets fixed and gives you years of trouble free enjoyment going forward.
RGA had no intention of offending JM personally. It's just that he has very strong opinions about Krell equipment and similar s/s designs.

RGA is an adherent of the theory that anything with feedback is causes bad sound due to high-order harmonic distortion. Unfortunately if you want to avoid feedback altogether you are constrained to Single Ended Triode (SET) designs and the extremely low power they produce. For an interesting discussion initiated by well-known audiophile pundit, see HERE (http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/messages/17/175926.html).

JohnMichael
07-15-2012, 09:51 AM

I think it is considered poor form by some members. If your favorite car is an AMC Pacer and you total it do you want someone to empathize with you or tell you it was crap. I know his likes and dislikes and I am just glad it did not turn into yet another Audio Note commercial.

Jack in Wilmington
07-15-2012, 09:58 AM
I think it is considered poor form by some members. If your favorite car is an AMC Pacer and you total it do you want someone to empathize with you or tell you it was crap. I know his likes and dislikes and I am just glad it did not turn into yet another Audio Note commercial.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here, but if your favorite car is an AMC Pacer, your "stereo" probably centers around the AM radio in that Pacer.

JohnMichael
07-15-2012, 10:08 AM
I don't think I'm going out on a limb here, but if your favorite car is an AMC Pacer, your "stereo" probably centers around the AM radio in that Pacer.

No I never liked the Pacer. Sadly due to income levels I did drive a Chevette once. Now that you mention it I drove too many cars that only had AM radios.

YBArcam
07-15-2012, 11:51 AM
RGA had no intention of offending JM personally. It's just that he has very strong opinions about Krell equipment and similar s/s designs.

RGA is an adherent of the theory that anything with feedback is causes bad sound due to high-order harmonic distortion. Unfortunately if you want to avoid feedback altogether you are constrained to Single Ended Triode (SET) designs and the extremely low power they produce. For an interesting discussion initiated by well-known audiophile pundit, see HERE (http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/messages/17/175926.html).

For what it's worth, RGA has given some praise to Simaudio and Creek, to name two s/s designs.

There cannot be too many Pacers around, so if you total one that you love I think that's a different story. The Krell amp isn't totaled, and even if it was it is likely not overly difficult to replace it with the exact same model.

FWIW, RGA does have strong views that most people probably don't agree with. I'm thankful he has shared them though, as it has led me to look at other design philosophies than I would have otherwise. Same can be said for Poultry...still not sure I agree with using super cheap amps like the Miniwatt (though I've never heard one so my opinion probably means nothing), but his open baffle and high efficiency diy posts have opened my eyes to those designs.

JohnMichael
07-15-2012, 12:25 PM
For what it's worth, RGA has given some praise to Simaudio and Creek, to name two s/s designs.

FWIW, RGA does have strong views that most people probably don't agree with. I'm thankful he has shared them though, as it has led me to look at other design philosophies than I would have otherwise. Same can be said for Poultry...still not sure I agree with using super cheap amps like the Miniwatt (though I've never heard one so my opinion probably means nothing), but his open baffle and high efficiency diy posts have opened my eyes to those designs.

Yes I agree that he has wide ranging experience that is beneficial to AR. Early on I thought he was an AN troll and I almost banned him.;-)

I guess it was the nature of the thread. I was not asking for opinions about Krell but was sharing my frustration and fear. Wondering if I had damaged it beyond repair, how much will the repair cost and how long will I be without it? Of course having Krell tell me it will be repaired under warranty made me feel better.

My sister always says if you want sympathy it is in the dictionary between sh!t and syphillis. Well I received some sympathy, a little sh!t but luckily no syphillis.

JoeE SP9
07-15-2012, 01:02 PM
I had a Chevette once. I had a pair of Acoustats at the same time. I guess it's rather obvious where my head is at.

RGA
07-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Maybe I am not the most sensitive to these things - I like audio but the gear is a thing and things break - so it goes. I had a tube in my OTO blow and it sizzled and almost took the board with it. Fortunately they separate the boards so it's not a costly fix. I had to take it in and they replaced the tube and there you go. Stuff happens. The Marantz receiver no longer outputs to loudspeakers - so it's now a glorified headphone amp. Wharfedale speakers have too much grit in the bass/treble controls makes them unlistenable until I get them fixed.

I thought the Krell was the same one that kept getting sent back for non age related reasons but appeared to be faulty so my view was to sell it while you can get something for it and buy something else. Problem solvers solve problems. I didn't know the OP had an emotional attachment to the product. I have an emotional attachment to my Wharfedale speakers because I bought them with my dad and he passed away - so I simply won't sell them. The rest of my gear I have no attachment to. The CD 6 a little because it's been going for something like 16 years so I just want to see how much longer it will go.

Other points raised
As for SE sound I prefer it yes but it is often impractical either power or price so I do like other things. Forums tend to be discussions about best sound without practical or economical aspects considered. Practically I just bought a Push Pull low feedback but not no feedback design. I prefer the Meishu or Jinro sure - anyone with decent ears would, but I don't have $20,000 laying around so you makes the compromise.

SS amps - yes like plenty of them - I tend not to like expensive ones because I don't find them to offer good value in that tubes take over in sound and build quality at lower price points. Lots of luck finding a $5k amp that sounds better than Line Magnetic or Audio Space at $1,600 - I've never heard one from anybody ever.
But practically not everyone wants to deal with tubes. personally it's a light bulb a screwdriver and read a meter for 5 minutes every 5 years which is not a whole lot of work. And they usually last decades and easier and cheaper to repair (unless the transformer goes but that's true of SS).

SS I have liked for price performance: Rotel, Creek Audio, Audio Refinement, Sim Audio, Sugden, Heed Audio, Shengya, Roksan.

As for the Krell - hopefully it will be fixed and last many decades. As for taste - if we all shared the same there would only be one product.

JohnMichael
07-15-2012, 06:48 PM
In these days of fewer audio stores many of us make our choices based on reviews, product reputations, looks and specs. Many of us live in communities where online shopping is all that is available to us. We look for 30 or 60 day return options.

I enjoyed a Rotel RA 970BX integrated amp for years. If I were more patient I might still be enjoying it. Sadly I thought a channel was cutting out but it turned out to be the Sony ES cd player. I in a panic of not having music ordered a Cambridge Audio 640A int. amp. The older Rotel was a better amp. Still thinking it was the Rotel that had the problem I lent it to a friend who melted it down by hooking up too many pairs of speakers. I should have given him the CA 640A to melt down.

The 640A became annoying with it's sound and I was anxious to replace it. I began to read raves for the Onkyo A-9555 and was curious. On a fluke I won $500 in the lottery and I thought what the hell so I ordered it. It was better than the 640A but it to became fatiguing quickly. I knew at the time I needed to shop for something better.

While owning the Onkyo A-9555 I bought a new pair of speakers. The speakers were the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs and they were the Original Master Loudspeakers 1. The folks at Music Direct were concerned about the Onkyo being able to power the speakers. In my small room it did okay. Of course the seed was planted, did I need something better? Again I found myself not completely pleased with the sound.

About that time I inherited some money and I thought now was the time to upgrade. I was interested in the Exposure 2010S, LFD Zero, Simaudio and Portal Panache. Having been told the OML1's were tough to drive I wondered if the Exposure or LFD could supply enough power. Since I enjoy a lot of big music with wide dynamics I began to think about power reserves. It was then I learned of the Krell S-300i. I read some good reviews and liked that the amp had output at 150 watts into 8ohms but doubled into 4ohms. So home came the Krell.

Three years with the Krell and I still love the sound. Most components get on my nerves after a few months and they are given away or trashed. I believe what most reviewers are saying that this new integrated amp is the best of all the Krell integrated amps. This amp is worth a listen if you are curious about it.

texlle
07-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Sounds like Krell has been very helpful to make the repair process pleasant enough, which is always relieving. I haven't blown up an amp yet (fingers crossed), but the remote activated motor on my Cambridge A500's potentiometer has stopped working this weekend, so now I have to get up to adjust the volume. It actually still receives power, but the gear or whatever mechanism that turns the potentiometer has broken or stripped out. I've emailed Cambridge to obtain the part number or even better, a supplier who carries the part I would need to get this working again. My friend did blow the amp section on his Yamaha receiver last weekend, so he's using my old Sony STR-DE845 while the Yamaha gets fixed. Hey, he gave me an old Sony analog tuner from 1982, so I can't complain. :)

Oh, and my Jolida is currently on ebay if anyone is interested. Stay tuned for updates. ;)

JohnMichael
07-16-2012, 05:36 PM
The Krell is in the safe hands of UPS. Of course I did insure it for $2,500 in case those hands were not so safe. The S-300i will arrive at Krell on Wednesday.

While at UPS today this woman was complaining about how difficult it was to get to UPS. I am glad that we actually have a UPS hub in town. I do not need to use the UPS stores or if I miss a delivery it is not far to pick up the package. As this woman was complaining for all to hear the clerk said Ma'm this was delivered by mail, the USPS, and we all grinned as she took her package and left.

Now the waiting begins.

Florian
07-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Hi John,

i hope they fix your Krell. Dan is no longer with Krell, since they booted him and his son out of Krell. But i do want to drop a sentence or two about the sound quality. As you know i personally owned several Krells including their flagships. (4x KRS 200; KSA250; KSA150; KSA100MKII; KRC-HR; DAC32). The best of them all where the KRS200s. They are true balanced monoblocks with two transfers and fourty transistors per channel! They had 310 Watts @8ohm and could really drive any speaker. Even 1ohm Scintillas with no problems. They are robust, reliable and hard to kill. But, and dont take personal offence please, is in a very different league then any Krell integrated ever prodocuded and much better then their current flagships the EVO series.

I dropped them in a second for 60 Watt SET amplifiers. My experience goes hand in hand with RGAs. SET, Zero Feedback. The NAT SE2-SE are better in every aspect by leagues. If you get a change please try to hear a NAT Single. Here is some info on it. Click me (http://www.nataudio.com/products/all-products/integrated-vacuum-tube-power-amplifier/item/29-single.html)

Another fantastic way to improve your sound over any Krell is a combination of Monarchy Audio NM24 and SE160 Hybrid amps.

All the best

Flo

Feanor
07-17-2012, 04:55 AM
Hi John,

i hope they fix your Krell. Dan is no longer with Krell, since they booted him and his son out of Krell. But i do want to drop a sentence or two about the sound quality. As you know i personally owned several Krells including their flagships. (4x KRS 200; KSA250; KSA150; KSA100MKII; KRC-HR; DAC32). The best of them all where the KRS200s. They are true balanced monoblocks with two transfers and fourty transistors per channel! They had 310 Watts @8ohm and could really drive any speaker. Even 1ohm Scintillas with no problems. They are robust, reliable and hard to kill. But, and dont take personal offence please, is in a very different league then any Krell integrated ever prodocuded and much better then their current flagships the EVO series.

I dropped them in a second for 60 Watt SET amplifiers. My experience goes hand in hand with RGAs. SET, Zero Feedback. The NAT SE2-SE are better in every aspect by leagues. If you get a change please try to hear a NAT Single. Here is some info on it. Click me (http://www.nataudio.com/products/all-products/integrated-vacuum-tube-power-amplifier/item/29-single.html)

Another fantastic way to improve your sound over any Krell is a combination of Monarchy Audio NM24 and SE160 Hybrid amps.

All the best

Flo
Flo, did I read that the NAT SE2-SE's are 115,000€ the pair? :eek6: I'd love to hear 'em but sadly it's unlikely that I will

Of course, Poultrygeist well tell us that a Decware Zen SE84C+ for US$775 is approximately as good but it's 2 wpc. Meanwhile my $600, 300 wpc class D, $250 passive pre, and $75 DAC are the best system I've heard; it does some of the things SETs are supposed to do, viz. transparent, detailed, grain & etch-free.

JohnMichael
07-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Flo that is a beautiful looking int. amp. I am sure it has a handsome price tag. I am not sure if Dan was involved with the design of the S-300i but I really like the amp. Reviews I have read comment that this is the best integrated amp compared to the previous 300 & 400 models.

Since I like the amp I am going to stick with it. My next large cash output will be a longer trip to Paris. Of course I will need another painting as a souvenir. I want to visit a friend in Amsterdam. I may even visit London to meet up with a friend and his wife stationed in England.

Stereos are nice but this poor boy has too many interests to spend my money on just one of them.

jrhymeammo
07-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Wow!! Dcided to check back in and ran into this terrible news... Im sorry to hear that, John. I hope the Onkyo will keep you satisfied until your Krell comes back.

JRA

JohnMichael
07-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Wow!! Dcided to check back in and ran into this terrible news... Im sorry to hear that, John. I hope the Onkyo will keep you satisfied until your Krell comes back.

JRA

To hell with the Krell I am glad you are back. What has been happening for you?

jrhymeammo
07-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Ah, you know, more work n work. Almost got enag....... Now enjoying life again.
Back in Lexington!!!

Jra

JohnMichael
07-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Back in Lexington!!!

Jra

I hope you will be posting again now that you have more personal time. I need a break from life. You are always welcome here or I can easily make it to Lexington. We could pick a central spot and invite bobsticks.

JohnMichael
07-19-2012, 05:46 AM
My S-300i arrived safely at Krell. I am curious as to what they may find. In the interim I am using the Onkyo. I miss the bass tightness and larger soundstage of the Krell. Using the AudioQuest Slates with the A-9555 I am reminded that it is a good budget integrated amp. When it was last available it could be purchased for $500.

For those who care about such things it was rated a Class C integrated amp in Stereophile. Absolute Sound also gave it a good review in their budget review. I originally bought it because of all the Internet buzz. I am sure many would be pleased with it. I am glad I kept it for a backup.

Florian
07-20-2012, 05:45 AM
Flo, did I read that the NAT SE2-SE's are 115,000€ the pair? :eek6: I'd love to hear 'em but sadly it's unlikely that I will

Of course, Poultrygeist well tell us that a Decware Zen SE84C+ for US$775 is approximately as good but it's 2 wpc. Meanwhile my $600, 300 wpc class D, $250 passive pre, and $75 DAC are the best system I've heard; it does some of the things SETs are supposed to do, viz. transparent, detailed, grain & etch-free.

Hi Bill,

the price is incorrect. One pair of NAT SE2's cost 11990€ a pair. Thats about 14500$ US.

Cheers

Feanor
07-20-2012, 05:54 AM
Hi Bill,

the price is incorrect. One pair of NAT SE2's cost 11990€ a pair. Thats about 14500$ US.

Cheers
Wow, well that's a lot better. Still about 20x my budget, though.

Florian
07-20-2012, 05:59 AM
It certainly is not cheap or affordable i give you that ;-)
In two weeks i will have six of them. One pair for the mid bass, another pair for the midrange and a set of SE1's (Same amp with 1x 211output tube instead of 2) for the tweeter. I don't pay cash for them, or not much. Once you paddle your way in this price league its mostly trades and some cash.

Cheers

JohnMichael
07-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Hi Bill,

Cheers

$12,000 over the cost of my Krell, hell that's Mitt money. Besides I think I would upgrade my speakers first. A $14,500 amp with $1,000 Monitor Audio RS6's may not be a balanced system.

Florian
07-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Depends, you can buy a pair of Acoustat 1+1 for about a thousand bucks. When it comes to resolution and sound quality they are a perfect match. Its a ridiculous good speaker, for any money. But it really needs top notch electronics to sound its best. It does not work very well with "accurate" amps. Sorry Bill, i needed a "little" bit of fun :-)

JohnMichael
07-20-2012, 07:29 AM
I should add that the RS6's sound better with the Krell than they do with the Class D Onkyo. I should listen to some Acoustats since I like stats more than planar magnetics. I heard a pair of Innersound stats that blew me away. At the time most anything was out of my price range. Oh well just waiting for the return of the S-300i.

Florian
07-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Just make sure you use a good tube amp for the Acoustats. They swing very wildly in impedance across their frequency range. Solid state amps, at least the ones i tried, could not cope well with it. I do have a pair of Acoustats as well :-)

frenchmon
07-20-2012, 10:45 AM
$12,000 over the cost of my Krell, hell that's Mitt money. Besides I think I would upgrade my speakers first. A $14,500 amp with $1,000 Monitor Audio RS6's may not be a balanced system.

HA! I think that's like pennies to MItt. With all the off shore acounts I doubt he even knows how much he has....

JoeE SP9
07-20-2012, 11:16 AM
It looks like the price of Acoustats is going up. I thought Florians figure of $1000 for a pair of 1+1's was a little high. I had thought around $750 a pair was fair.l Then I saw a mislabeled pair of Spectra 11's on Audiogon for $649.

Gee, if I hold on to my two pair a little longer and save some more; when I sell them I may have enough for the IRS Beta's I want!

bobsticks
07-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Back in Lexington!!!

Jra

Whattup jaybo?! :dita:

Great to "hear" from you!

Feanor
07-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Back in Lexington!!!

Jra
Good to hear from you, JRA.

JohnMichael
07-22-2012, 10:27 AM
The more I listen to the A-9555 the more I miss the S-300i.

Glen B
07-24-2012, 02:30 PM

The problem John has is not an indictment of Krell. It can happen to any high bandwidth amplifier. The capacitance of a particular speaker/speaker cable can cause the amp to oscillate. The solution is to install an external Zobel network. Many amp manufacturers have Zobel networks consisting of a resistor and cap in series installed internally across the amp outputs.

JohnMichael
07-24-2012, 03:36 PM
The problem John has is not an indictment of Krell. It can happen to any high bandwidth amplifier. The capacitance of a particular speaker/speaker cable can cause the amp to oscillate. The solution is to install an external Zobel network. Many amp manufacturers have Zobel networks consisting of a resistor and cap in series installed internally across the amp outputs.

You are correct and I wish I knew how the cables would work with the Krell. A single run worked great but when I doubled the cable for bi-wire that was it. I did try the cables with the Onkyo A-9555 and oddly enough the amp did not shut down but the sound was not what I thought it should be.

An interesting problem with both amps is there was no sound coming from the left channel. I did not pay attention to which cable I hooked up to the left channel but I began to believe one bi-wire cable may have been connected internally so to create a short.

Poultrygeist
07-24-2012, 05:48 PM
One thing I've learned is how robust and reliable tube amps can be. I have a Rotel/Martel EL-84 that's been going strong since the 1960's and I doubt it's ever had anything other than a few new tubes. Just over the past 20 years I bet I've lost close to a dozen sand amps. Even the slightest power surge can take out a solid state while a tube amp can go unscathed. Steve Deckert says on his website that negative feedback in the case of solid state devices is often the only thing keeping the transistors from exploding all over the inside of your amp. Someone once said you won't find a tube amp that sacrifices it's life to save the fuse.

Point to point hand wiring as often found in simple circuit SET tube amps is far easier to trouble shoot and repair verses complicated solid state PCB's where a cold solder joint on a machined board can be almost miroscopic.

Biasing push pull tube amps is necessary maintenance for reliability purposes but is not required on fixed bias SET amps. Some might consider changing tubes a repair like changing brake pads on a car but it's way too much fun to be classified as a repair. I know guys who can't wait for a tube to go bad so they can relive the pleasure of shopping and trying something different. I can guarantee rolling tubes is more fun than rolling cables and cheaper in most cases plus no one will question that it sounds better.

Tube techs are available even in smaller towns. You will find one in most music shops that sell guitar amps. Repairing an audio tube amp is the same as repairing a guitar tube amp. If you know a retired TV repairman chances are he's a good tube tech as TV's from the 50's and 60's used vacuum tubes.

JohnMichael
07-28-2012, 08:36 AM
My S-300i has been at Krell for 1 1/2 weeks now. Wednesday will be two weeks so I am becoming optimistic that I will be hearing about any progress. I will be using the MoFi OML1's since I find them more satisfying with the majority of my music. The recordings that need the dynamics and lower bass I do not listen to often enough to warrant using the RS6's. The musical flow with the OML1's is more important than any gains in bass. I am sometimes troubled by what may be a speaker that is more dynamic than it needs to be.

I will not be using single or bi-wire AlphaCore cables. As much as I enjoyed the single wire cables I am too leery to try them. The bi-wire versions are being returned. I will be using Micropurl IC's from the sacd/cd player and the phono preamp to the S-300i. Speaker cables will be the AntiCables in bi-wire without any twisting. As I have posted before twisting gave the speaker cables a peak in the upper midrange/lower treble and a glassy sound that caused a loss of instrumental textures.

I look forward to seeing the S-300i back on it's shelf and playing beautiful music.

Jack in Wilmington
07-28-2012, 12:26 PM
John, You need to get serious and once and for all get one set of speakers that you can live with on a permanent basis. Back at the end of April you were putting the OML1's back in the closet and singing the virtues of the RS6's. May I quote " I have the RS6's singing so sweetly". What happened to change that? Or do you just feel the need to tweek something?

BadAssJazz
07-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Or do you just feel the need to tweek something?

I think most in this hobby suffer that particular, peculiar, affliction. I know I do. :)

:16:

JohnMichael
07-28-2012, 01:03 PM
John, You need to get serious and once and for all get one set of speakers that you can live with on a permanent basis. Back at the end of April you were putting the OML1's back in the closet and singing the virtues of the RS6's. May I quote " I have the RS6's singing so sweetly". What happened to change that? Or do you just feel the need to tweek something?

I think what is endearing at first becomes fatiguing. Initially the extra bass is a plus but then you start to miss the music. I have worked with the RS6's and I think I have heard them at their best in my room.

Since I do not have any local audio stores closer than 30 miles away and work too many hours I switch speakers back and forth trying to find some magic. I would have to drive 2 hours to hear some of the speakers I am interested I hearing. Once I have my dream speakers I will gladly unload the RS6's. Until then it is nice to have some variety.

Jack in Wilmington
07-28-2012, 01:16 PM
I guess I'm just worried that all that switching of speakers and wires really raises your margin for error and that may have indirectly caused the short circuit in the Alpha Cores. I'm sure you are a very careful person, in your line of work you would have to be, but stranger things have happened.

JohnMichael
07-28-2012, 02:04 PM
I think most in this hobby suffer that particular, peculiar, affliction. I know I do. :)

:16:

Yes and since I am not rich or making triple figure pay I try to make what I buy work. One day it is one pair and then another day you miss an attribute of the other speaker and it is switch time.

I must say I am glad I have both pairs because having only one pair that you have grown tired with would be frustrating. I can at least switch them out and initially be pleased with the differences.

JohnMichael
07-28-2012, 04:43 PM
I guess I'm just worried that all that switching of speakers and wires really raises your margin for error and that may have indirectly caused the short circuit in the Alpha Cores. I'm sure you are a very careful person, in your line of work you would have to be, but stranger things have happened.

I truly think one channel of speaker cables was not assembled properly since one channel of each amp did not produce sound. I have my RA to send the cables back for a refund. When I went back to the AQ Slates all was normal with the Onky A-9555.

E-Stat
07-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Very high capacitance - not resistance - is the villain. That amp might also have stability issues driving electrostatic speakers.

Low inductance is a good goal, but I prefer cables that achieve it with lower than 0.5nF/ft capacitance.

JohnMichael
07-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Come Back Little Krell! I miss it and the Onkyo is okay but there is very much a veil or two I do not have with the S-300i. I miss the clarity and purity and It will be two weeks tomorrow. It should be home soon.

frenchmon
08-02-2012, 04:41 AM
Hang in there big fella...it wont be long now.

JohnMichael
08-02-2012, 05:22 AM
Hang in there big fella...it wont be long now.

Oh if only I had someone to hold me.

I had this dream that Krell brought out an updated version and they would replace my amp. When it was delivered the box was very light. I opened the box and inside was this cheap looking amp partly made from plastic with cheap slide controls.

texlle
08-02-2012, 05:43 AM
^LOL. Yeah, then you peel off the Krell sticker (yes the silk screen printing has been replaced by paper labels) and it says Sony. NOOOO (total devastation).

That would have to be a bad omen for the whole industry!

JohnMichael
08-02-2012, 07:03 AM
^LOL. Yeah, then you peel off the Krell sticker (yes the silk screen printing has been replaced by paper labels) and it says Sony. NOOOO (total devastation).

That would have to be a bad omen for the whole industry!

Like the company that brought out the expensive player and inside was a much less expensive but good Oppo player. I think that dream may have been wishful thinking that the Krell were lighter when I have to carry it up the stairs.

Hyfi
08-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Like the company that brought out the expensive player and inside was a much less expensive but good Oppo player. I think that dream may have been wishful thinking that the Krell were lighter when I have to carry it up the stairs.

Lexicon?

texlle
08-02-2012, 08:34 AM
I was reading that the Conrad Johnson Sonographe CD players used a Magnavox chassis. Apparently Magnavox made CD players- I had no idea. A majority of the components were upgraded though.

Feanor
08-02-2012, 10:00 AM

I had this dream that Krell brought out an updated version and they would replace my amp. When it was delivered the box was very light. I opened the box and inside was this cheap looking amp partly made from plastic with cheap slide controls.
What a nightmare!! :eek6: :frown5:

JoeE SP9
08-02-2012, 12:12 PM
I was reading that the Conrad Johnson Sonographe CD players used a Magnavox chassis. Apparently Magnavox made CD players- I had no idea. A majority of the components were upgraded though.

I believe those were actually Phillips units with Magnavox labels.

frenchmon
08-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Ahhhh.. It ain't that bad. Pull yourself together. When the Krell gets home you gotta do something special for her like go out and find those special speakers for her so when it's time to purchase it won't be a problem.

JohnMichael
08-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Ahhhh.. It ain't that bad. Pull yourself together. When the Krell gets home you gotta do something special for her like go out and find those special speakers for her so when it's time to purchase it won't be a problem.

Check out this speaker kit. An interesting design point is the tweeter face plate. It is designed to narrow the tweeters output in the midrange and to broaden output in the highs. The concept with having the drivers dispersion more similar the crossover is less noticeable. Of course I only glanced at the article and will reread it tonight. Looked intersting and fun to put a kit together.

The Audio Beat - SEAS Idunn Loudspeaker Kit (http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/seas_idunn.htm)

frenchmon
08-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Check out this speaker kit. An interesting design point is the tweeter face plate. It is designed to narrow the tweeters output in the midrange and to broaden output in the highs. The concept with having the drivers dispersion more similar the crossover is less noticeable. Of course I only glanced at the article and will reread it tonight. Looked intersting and fun to put a kit together.

The Audio Beat - SEAS Idunn Loudspeaker Kit (http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/seas_idunn.htm)

I like wide dispersion sounds interesting....not a bad price either. You have the skills....might be a good project.

JohnMichael
08-03-2012, 06:40 AM

It only gets worse. When I took the cables to UPS to return, the clerk noticed they had entered the wrong return address. Instead of 204 that previous clerk entered 304 and when I came home to check the receipt from the amp surely enough my address was wrong. He changed it in the computer. Luckily there is no 304 so I do not have to worry about someone else listening to my amp.

frenchmon
08-03-2012, 08:14 AM
It only gets worse. When I took the cables to UPS to return, the clerk noticed they had entered the wrong return address. Instead of 204 that previous clerk entered 304 and when I came home to check the receipt from the amp surely enough my address was wrong. He changed it in the computer. Luckily there is no 304 so I do not have to worry about someone else listening to my amp.

Now that would have been really bad....Is there going to be just a drop shipment, or do they need a signature?

JohnMichael
08-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Now that would have been really bad....Is there going to be just a drop shipment, or do they need a signature?

My UPS driver knows me well. If I am not at home he takes it to the Rental Office where they sign for the packages. I live in a security building so he is unable to drop it off at my front door and due to value they do want a signature.

frenchmon
08-03-2012, 01:28 PM
So do you have a plain B....just in case the Krell goes down again?

JohnMichael
08-03-2012, 07:02 PM
So do you have a plain B....just in case the Krell goes down again?

If you cut me do I not bleed?

Let me set the record straight. Ya I said straight. The S-300i had a problem with noise in the right channel after it was put in stand-by mode. I called Krell and they said that should not be happening. They asked me to send it back and they fixed whatever parts were starting to fail. The amp was still playing music in both channels. Once repaired the S-300i sounded as good as I remember when I first put it in my system. Something was failing but it was so gradual that I did not realize it until the noise continued in stand-by.

This last problem was on me. I should have asked for the Zobel network when I ordered the cables. I plugged them in and that was that, silence.

Once the amp is back I will enjoy it and avoid any exotic wires. Get ready AntiCables you are on deck.

The Krell S-300i may have been built in China but mine will have been rebuilt in Orange, CT.

JohnMichael
08-04-2012, 07:57 AM
The Onkyo has a thickness in the midrange that the Krell does not. I have been listening to Bryn Terfel and Andreas Scholl and for some reason their vocals are more affected by the Onkyo. A lack of clarity or added congestion.

In case I am too subtle I miss my S-300i.

BadAssJazz
08-06-2012, 07:50 AM
The Onkyo has a thickness in the midrange that the Krell does not. I have been listening to Bryn Terfel and Andreas Scholl and for some reason their vocals are more affected by the Onkyo. A lack of clarity or added congestion.

In case I am too subtle I miss my S-300i.

Well, to be fair to the Onkyo, it is just an Onkyo.

Reminds me of the time when I had to take my Cayman in for a weekend of routine maintenance and was left to drive a rental Mustang. Both will get you there, more or less, but with the Porsche there's never any question that you've arrived.

I'm sure you feel the same way about the Krell.

E-Stat
08-07-2012, 02:51 PM
The concept with having the drivers dispersion more similar the crossover is less noticeable.
Bingo!

As a coherency freak, I find that flaw immediately noticeable. A friend and I were comparing his modified Advents to JBL L-110s - the more neutral sounding cousin to the more famous L-100 Century. While it was quite neutral in character and had a more extended top end than the Advent, it ran the 5" midrange up to 5 kHz. The problem is the driver beamed horribly at the crossover point - where the wide dispersion tweeter took over.

The result was an image that resembled a fun house mirror: frequency-wise it had a wide stage at the top and bottom but noticeably pinched at a critical mid point. Very unnatural sounding.

JohnMichael
08-09-2012, 05:03 PM
I am missing the wide and deep soundstage provided by the Krell. I am missing the purity and the clarity. The S-300i has 5 way binding posts so I will be able to use the AntiCables again. Hope to hear something soon about the return of the repaired int. amp. Since they are fixing my amp under warranty for something I did I have not had the nerve to complain.

frenchmon
08-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Well if I where in your shoes...I would call and ask where they are in the repair work. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure they understand the attachments that come with this hobby.

JohnMichael
08-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Well if I where in your shoes...I would call and ask where they are in the repair work. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure they understand the attachments that come with this hobby.

I am trying to be patient so they do not decide to charge me for my mistake of using those wires. I am afraid the squeaky wheel might get the bill. I also do not know the amount of damage to the amp. Luckily I have the Onkyo so I am not stuck listeneing to the Sounds of Silence.

Last time the repair turnaround was quick but he told me it would be 2-3 weeks. I am not sure if they have presented at any audio shows and that may have reduced the number of techs doing repairs.

JohnMichael
08-15-2012, 05:40 PM
I came home from work and someone had a Fed Ex tag on the security door. It was my address but it did not say where it originated. I had ordered a new pair of speaker cables which are my best ones yet at least by price. As soon as I was in front of the computer I checked it out. Hell yes the Krell is back.

I could either wait for another day for delivery or I could drive to pick it up. I googled the closest Fed Ex and found out it was 47 minutes away. I took my dog to my sisters and hit the road about 6:15 PM. I arrived in Columbus at Fed Ex and was next in line. They brought the amp out on a cart and I loaded it into the car.

I drove home and carried the amp up the stairs. I unboxed it and removed the Onkyo. Replaced the Krell and hooked it all up. Turned it on and beautiful music once again. Jumped back in the car, stopped at a store and was at my sister's house by 7:50 PM to pick up my dog.

I might have exceeded the speed limit in my excitement.

They replaced an entire channel. My guess is the left which is the one that produced no sound before the major shut down. Thank you Krell and I will send them a thank you note.

texlle
08-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Eh, for a Krell, I bet I could've made it back by 7:30. :)

Smokey
08-15-2012, 08:45 PM
I could either wait for another day for delivery or I could drive to pick it up. I googled the closest Fed Ex and found out it was 47 minutes away. I took my dog to my sisters and hit the road about 6:15 PM. I arrived in Columbus at Fed Ex and was next in line. They brought the amp out on a cart and I loaded it into the car.

I drove home and carried the amp up the stairs. I unboxed it and removed the Onkyo. Replaced the Krell and hooked it all up. Turned it on and beautiful music once again. Jumped back in the car, stopped at a store and was at my sister's house by 7:50 PM to pick up my dog.

I bet the dog felt like a Yo-Yo :D

My obvious question is why didn't you left the dog at house or take him with you to FedEx?

JohnMichael
08-16-2012, 01:41 AM
I bet the dog felt like a Yo-Yo :D

My obvious question is why didn't you left the dog at house or take him with you to FedEx?

He is used to my taking him for a long walk when I get home from work. Since I wanted to pick up my amp that would seriously delay the walk. The best for both of us was to let him run in my sister's back yard with her two dogs. He had a play date and I got my amp. I would never drive like I do with him in the car.

I am pleased to report both dog and amp are doing quite well.

JohnMichael
08-16-2012, 05:07 AM
It was nice to hear tight fast bass again. The Onkyo is sluggish in the bass. I feel like all my music is back. After 4 weeks without the Krell and hearing it again last night I realize that I really enjoy the amp and my system. My new cables will be here tomorrow and I am looking forward to a nice long listening session.

Hyfi
08-16-2012, 05:19 AM
Good to hear it's back.

What's up with the Anti cables? I thought they were the end all cable selection.

Jack in Wilmington
08-16-2012, 05:37 AM
Yea this is the first time I've heard about new speaker cables. And as for Krell, didn't you get a heads-up that the amp was on its way? I figure that you would be tracking its progress like the kids track Santas progress on Christmas Eve. I'm sure you would have liked to call in sick today, but that's not your style. Anyway congrats, here's to a long and happy listening session ( I'm toasting you with my coffee cup) what do you expect at 9:30 in the morning.

JohnMichael
08-16-2012, 05:50 AM
Good to hear it's back.

What's up with the Anti cables? I thought they were the end all cable selection.

I did not use them with the Onkyo since it does not accept spades. I still have them and will compare them to the new cables. The AntiCables are very good for the money. One very small complaint is that they seem to compress the music ever so slightly. The Slates which use different gauge solid core wires to create the cables do not have that limitation. The slight compression is only noticeable after long term listening. I will never twist them again since that brightened them and reduced instrumental textures. The AntiCables will always be in my cable collection.

JohnMichael
08-16-2012, 06:09 AM
Yea this is the first time I've heard about new speaker cables. And as for Krell, didn't you get a heads-up that the amp was on its way? I figure that you would be tracking its progress like the kids track Santas progress on Christmas Eve. I'm sure you would have liked to call in sick today, but that's not your style. Anyway congrats, here's to a long and happy listening session ( I'm toasting you with my coffee cup) what do you expect at 9:30 in the morning.

No I did not have a tracking number but you are right I would have followed it every step of the way. Oh and my new cables are Audioquest but a step up from the Slates. I bought the Slates from AudioAdvisor who terminated the cables themselves. One banana came off at the speaker end so I have a mix of bananas and bare wire. The Rocket 44 cable is what I will be trying next to hear if there are claimed improvements. I am curious if the cold weld method of termination will be more durable than soldered on cheaper bananas. They also use carbon in the insulation of the negative run to further reduce noise.

If the new cables work out the Slates will be available for anyone who would want to try them out.

dean_martin
08-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Return of Krell! I like it. Sounds like a Japanese giant monster movie, or a Barbarian warrior flick.

Anyhow, congrats on the return of your amp.

frenchmon
08-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Congrats.....a family member returns!

JohnMichael
08-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks all it is good to have it home. I need to send Krell a Thank You note because I have no idea how much it could have cost me to have a channel replaced. Especially since it was my choice of cables that caused the problem. I am not changing anything and just enjoy the music.

Jack in Wilmington
08-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks all it is good to have it home. I need to send Krell a Thank You note because I have no idea how much it could have cost me to have a channel replaced. Especially since it was my choice of cables that caused the problem. I am not changing anything and just enjoy the music.

Ummmmm JM "not changing anything and just enjoy the music"

Call me skeptical, but this is something I have to see.

JohnMichael
08-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Ummmmm JM "not changing anything and just enjoy the music"

Call me skeptical, but this is something I have to see.

I tried to give you greenies on this one but I have to spread it around first. Yes I am a tweaker but what I have heard from the AQ Rocket 44's I should be entertained for many months. Of course I am curious about a completely welded speaker stand for the OML1's.

frenchmon
08-18-2012, 02:33 AM
I gree on Jack about tweaking....how is your speaker search going?

Jack in Wilmington
08-18-2012, 05:29 AM
I tried to give you greenies on this one but I have to spread it around first. Yes I am a tweaker but what I have heard from the AQ Rocket 44's I should be entertained for many months. Of course I am curious about a completely welded speaker stand for the OML1's.

"Yes I am a tweaker". You should be running the weekly meetings at Tweakers Anonymous. I shouldn't bust em too hard, I'd be at the meetings also.

JohnMichael
08-18-2012, 09:26 AM
I gree on Jack about tweaking....how is your speaker search going?

The Rocket 44's have opened up the midrange of the OML1's in such a nice and musical way. Since I am happier with the speakers the interest in new ones have faded. The better cables are doing a better job of conducting the signal. Imagine spending more on cables for better sound.

Jack in Wilmington
08-18-2012, 10:45 AM
"Spending more on cables for better sound"

My speaker cable history goes something like this

1. Straightwire basic wire $3/foot
2. Straightwire Maestro Biwire Cables
3. Tara Labs Prism Cables (using at the present time )
4. Blue Jean Speaker Cables
5. Analysis Plus Clear Oval cables
6. MIT AVt1 Cables (using at the present time )

Yeah I guess I adhere to your philosophy