So I went to see Wilco and Andrew Bird last night... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So I went to see Wilco and Andrew Bird last night...

Mr MidFi
07-09-2012, 05:47 AM
I'm still recovering, so this review will be very brief. Suffice to say that it was an awesome night.

The relevant facts:

It was the fifth time I've seen Wilco and my fourth time for Bird. A case could be made for this show being the best I've seen from either of them.

Accompanying me were my lovely wife, my teenage daughter and her equally teenage boyfriend. We also hung out with Larry the Graphic Designer from my office (who's a huge Wilco fan).

It was a gloriously clear and comfortable evening, coming immediately after the worst heat wave in living memory in the Fox Valley. The concert venue was a minor-league ballpark about 4 miles from my home (which is about 40 miles west of Chicago).

Andrew Bird played a fun, rockier, more rhythmic set than the headliner sets I've seen from him. This is probably his "festival" set, and it showcases him and his band really well.

AB set list:
(link to come)

Wilco was in fine form, and Jeff's voice was better than ever. I loved the fact that they played a bunch of "deep cuts" including three from Summerteeth. As the last notes from their final encore faded into the night, the sky erupted in a fireworks display. Freakin' perfect.

Wilco set list:
Wilco Concert Setlist at Fifth Third Bank Ballpark, Geneva on July 8, 2012 | setlist.fm (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/wilco/2012/fifth-third-bank-ballpark-geneva-il-7bdf4ae8.html)

(The opener was The Congregation, which we didn't pay adequate attention to... but they played good, old-fashioned soul and were better than I 'd expected.)

Swish
07-10-2012, 06:02 AM
Color me jealous! I saw Bird from my first time with my current spouse and a few crazy Canadians, as many here will recall, and it was quite the show. It was certainly more subdued that what you saw, so I'm sure you're correct about his playing a 'festival' set for your show.

I've seen Wilco 3 times, and all three were outstanding. The first had the original lineup, while the last two were with the newer members, including guitar-hero Nels Cline.

ForeverAutumn
07-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Sounds like a great show Mr. M. I'm glad you had fun!

Bird is playing here next Thursday. It's an outdoor venue with no cover so we've held off buying tickets, but if the weather is good then we'll take in his show for the 2nd time this year. :)

bobsticks
07-11-2012, 06:40 AM
One has to think long and hard to come up with a better pairing for a live show. I'm glad you enjoyed the gig (and I'm jealous as all he77) :)

Mr MidFi
07-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks to all. It was a great night, and one I'll remember for a long time.

Here's the (belated) set list info for Andrew Bird:
Andrew Bird Concert Setlist at Fifth Third Bank Ballpark, Geneva on July 8, 2012 | setlist.fm (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/andrew-bird/2012/fifth-third-bank-ballpark-geneva-il-7bdf4ad4.html)

And here are a few badly composed photos I posted to FB from my phone:
Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3599622390675.2142038.1276995709&type=1)

Snowbunny
07-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Wow!

Right about now I'm starting to wish I didn't live in such a big empty country.

Even Vancouver is too small to warrant great concerts like that! I would kill to see them both at the same venue!

You are such a good Dad! Can you convince the kids to be DDs?

Snowie

(All that and a wife that golfs! Lucky guy!)

edit: Why did I have to look at the set lists? Now I'm really bummed!

Mr MidFi
07-17-2012, 07:10 AM
Wow!

Right about now I'm starting to wish I didn't live in such a big empty country.

Even Vancouver is too small to warrant great concerts like that! I would kill to see them both at the same venue!

You are such a good Dad! Can you convince the kids to be DDs?

Snowie

(All that and a wife that golfs! Lucky guy!)

edit: Why did I have to look at the set lists? Now I'm really bummed!

Hey, Snowbuns! Great to see you again!

A few points of clarification:

1. Part of the reason why this double-bill was so special to me is the fact that we DO live out in the sticks. I had to chase a coyote from my property just the other day!

2. Both Wilco and AB are from the Chicago area... but they clearly know where a lot of their local fans live. God bless 'em.

3. I am, in fact, an excellent dad...and an exceptionally lucky guy who married well. But none of us golfs (thankfully).

4. The set lists were incredible; sorry, should have warned you!

Take care, and don't be a stranger!

Snowbunny
07-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Hey, Snowbuns! Great to see you again!

A few points of clarification:

1. Part of the reason why this double-bill was so special to me is the fact that we DO live out in the sticks. I had to chase a coyote from my property just the other day!

2. Both Wilco and AB are from the Chicago area... but they clearly know where a lot of their local fans live. God bless 'em.

3. I am, in fact, an excellent dad...and an exceptionally lucky guy who married well. But none of us golfs (thankfully).

4. The set lists were incredible; sorry, should have warned you!

Take care, and don't be a stranger!

Well, I didn't want to admit that I'd never heard of Geneva, and the venue sounded a little backwoods - Fifth Third Who's on First Bank? WTH?

Who was it that posted a pic with his wife in a golf cart? Who's the other Mr. guy who used to hang around here?

Glad to be back, trying to be more consistent in buying new music. I still have excellent music I'm just getting to from "back in the day".

Snowie