How about this vinyl cleaning fluid recipie? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How about this vinyl cleaning fluid recipie?

bajaed
07-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Owner of my local vinyl shop suggested this.

1 gallon distilled water
8 drops of Dawn Clear
6 drops of Glycerin

Mix, spray on record and wipe with Viva paper towels. Let dry.

Wanted to get opinions on the fluid, paper towels and if I need to also rinse with distilled water?

I also have some micro fiber towels I can use.

Thoughts?

JoeE SP9
07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Micro fiber towels are what is usually recommended. Paper towels can and do leave residue. Rinsing with distilled water is a good idea although if you clean a lot of records it may not be very economical.

An LP that is especially dirty may need some scrubbing action. I've used trimmed down paint brushes for this.

tube fan
07-08-2012, 08:33 PM
I don't like cleaning any of my records. I don't get them dirty. ALL the "cleaning" solutions leave a bad residue. Linn was correct in this.

JohnMichael
07-08-2012, 09:17 PM
If you are not talking new records the formula sounds good. I would follow Joe E SP9 suggestions on microfiber.

E-Stat
07-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I don't like cleaning any of my records. I don't get them dirty. ALL the "cleaning" solutions leave a bad residue.
Really?

I've used a VPI HW-16 quite successfully for thirty some years. The last time I was in Sea Cliff, Mike Hobson (of Classic Records) brought over some of his best vinyl and we took a listen. He used Harry's HW-17 and the Furutec Demagnitizer.

HP has been using Keith Monks/VPI RCMs since the 70s.

JoeE SP9
07-09-2012, 01:38 PM
I don't like cleaning any of my records. I don't get them dirty. ALL the "cleaning" solutions leave a bad residue. Linn was correct in this.

This is area where Linn is incorrect. Even new vinyl will benefit from being run through a vacuum RCM. Poor and/or cheap cleaning solutions may leave a residue. None that I've ever tried in more than twenty years has left any residue.

There are far too many reports of improved sound from using an RCM to believe Linn's propaganda. Everyone that has heard the results from my Record Doctor has been impressed.

My friends bring their vinyl (especially used) to me for cleaning.

tube fan
07-09-2012, 08:26 PM
This is area where Linn is incorrect. Even new vinyl will benefit from being run through a vacuum RCM. Poor and/or cheap cleaning solutions may leave a residue. None that I've ever tried in more than twenty years has left any residue.

There are far too many reports of improved sound from using an RCM to believe Linn's propaganda. Everyone that has heard the results from my Record Doctor has been impressed.

My friends bring their vinyl (especially used) to me for cleaning.

I've done dozens of blind tests, and I always prefer a non-cleaned vinyl record. Yes, my records are already clean. Yes, I have a VPI record cleaning component. No, I don't use it, as it just adds distortion. Do a blind test yourself.

JoeE SP9
07-10-2012, 03:16 PM
We definitely aren't hearing the same things. I can't understand how a clean record sounds worse.

I don't need to do a blind test. The improvement cleaning a record makes is audible to everyone I've ever demonstrated it to. In all the years (46+) I've been involved in this hobby you are the only person who has ever said cleaning records makes them sound worse.
I've never paid much attention to Ivor T.

E-Stat
07-10-2012, 04:00 PM
He also said he would never produce a CD player, too. :)

02audionoob
07-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Owner of my local vinyl shop suggested this.

1 gallon distilled water
8 drops of Dawn Clear
6 drops of Glycerin

Mix, spray on record and wipe with Viva paper towels. Let dry.

Wanted to get opinions on the fluid, paper towels and if I need to also rinse with distilled water?

I also have some micro fiber towels I can use.

Thoughts?

I don't like the Dawn as part of it, but it's probably a harmless quantity. Its purpose as a surfactant is theoretically worthwhile. The main thing to do differently is to vacuum instead of wipe.

tube fan
07-13-2012, 08:41 PM
We definitely aren't hearing the same things. I can't understand how a clean record sounds worse.

I don't need to do a blind test. The improvement cleaning a record makes is audible to everyone I've ever demonstrated it to. In all the years (46+) I've been involved in this hobby you are the only person who has ever said cleaning records makes them sound worse.

You have to use pressure to "clean" records,and to vacuum the residue. IF you rinse SEVERAL times with distilled water, you MAY SLIGHTLY improve the sound (we have never been able to do this). Also, we note MORE tics and pops AFTER washing. Just keep your hands off the playing surface, and use a record brush. Linn is correct in this IMO. BTW, my records are in better shape than several of my friends' vinyl records, and I play my stereo about 6 hours a day.

JoeE SP9
07-14-2012, 08:43 AM
All I know is that every single one of my 3500+ LP's has benefited from cycling them through an RCM. Every single LP that I've cleaned for friends and neighbors has also benefited.

I'm retired and my system is on virtually 24 x 7. Four hours or more of each 24 is occupied with vinyl. I have vinyl I purchased new in 1967 that I play semi regularly even now. I attribute the longevity of my vinyl to using an RCM and proper care thereafter.

My comment about Ivor T stands. His attitude about about not cleaning vinyl is disputed by most everyone else and me.

02audionoob
07-15-2012, 06:39 PM
I buy almost all my records used and find that at least 2 out of 3 are so dirty I wouldn't play them without cleaning them.

tube fan
07-17-2012, 07:05 PM
I buy almost all my records used and find that at least 2 out of 3 are so dirty I wouldn't play them without cleaning them.

I agree: clean dirty records. Why clean clean records? IMO, we need real DBTs here.

nobody
07-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Cleaning used records is a must, especially for the real grungy ones you often come across. I have run across records that looked awful with a heavy coating of grime on them that played wonderfully after a good cleaning. New records? Well, sometimes I do sometimes I don't. Mostly, I have seen improvements on new records if they are static monsters. Seems a good wet cleaning gets them over it better than anything else I've tried. If I have a new record that seems to have a bit of noise I'll try cleaning it and occasionally get an improvement although usually either its a good pressing or not as far as that goes. Only time I have had negative effects from cleaning records has been when I have neglected to rinse them thoroughly. I usually use the Disc Doctor stuff and with two careful rinses everything is great. When I first got the stuff I used a fairly quick single rinse as the directions described and got quite a bit of extra noise added. Once I went to a couple good rinses, any extra noise was long gone.

Also, a vacuum may be nice, but I have taken some really dirty used records and cleaned them by hand and they come out quiet as can be as long as there are no scratches or groove damage. I honestly can't see what else a vacuum could offer beyond taking something that is covered in much and making it shiny and clean and quiet. Maybe it would make the process quicker and easier.

E-Stat
07-21-2012, 06:24 AM
I agree: clean dirty records. Why clean clean records? IMO, we need real DBTs here.
How do you conduct double blind tests in this case?

frenchmon
07-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Well all I have is a spin clean. And I have read all the debates about it.....but it seems to work well for me. I dont have a vac, so I wipe. Does a very good job in my opinion. BUt then I really dont buy to many used, but when I do, its mint.

Joe....I see your brand of carts...Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, but what are the model numbers?