Goober's gone, and now Andy Griffith [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Goober's gone, and now Andy Griffith

Smokey
07-05-2012, 09:11 PM
As icons of TV's golden age laying to rest one by one (Andy on tuesday and Goober on May 6th), may we give tribute to funny guys that made generations laugh from TV shows The Andy Griffith Show amd Hee-Haw.

RIP

http://www.weeklyvolcano.com/entertainment/spew-blog/2012/05/Mornign-Spew-Good-bye-Goober-Avengers-Adam-Yauch/uploads/blogs/31241-banner-article-2140472-12F59724000005DC-966_468x318.jpg

3LB
07-06-2012, 03:38 AM
Griffith was one of TV's most recognizable names and faces and was actually a great character actor. Sure, he was usually cast in the vein of Andy Taylor, but his Matlock character was different from Taylor, and he did a few TV movies playing a villain where he was very chilling. Goober was, well, Goober.

Everyone should see A Face In The Crowd. Critiqued as being heavy handed and/or over-the-top when it came out (late '50s), it turned out to be rather prescient, if not tame compared to what passes for cultural icons today. Griffith's Lonesome Rhodes is downright intellectual and cultured compared to the liscensed morons that populate reality TV.

GMichael
07-06-2012, 05:10 AM
R.I.P. Andy. My childhood would not have been the same without you. Your simple, no nonsense characters molded many a young mind.

Smokey
07-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Griffith's Lonesome Rhodes is downright intellectual and cultured compared to the liscensed morons that populate reality TV.

Hense the Golden age of TV :)

Andy Taylor charactor was somewhat similar to Matt Dillon from Gunsmoke where he usually stayed in the back ground while the supporting cast rolled with the story, or whatever mayhem they get into. And he appeared before things go haywire. And with a cast such as Deputy, town drunk, Gomer, Goober and the barber, his appearance was frequent.

thekid
07-07-2012, 04:52 AM
A mentor I had early in my career was from NC and Andy Griffith was his HS music teacher for a year.
I have been to Manteo several times which is where he retired to and it and the surrounding Hatteras island is very nice. He got his "show biz" start there performing in the "Lost Colony" play that has been done there every Summer for like 70 years.

TheHills44060
07-07-2012, 05:43 AM
For me Don Knotts was a much bigger loss than Andy Griffith.