(SPOILER ALERT!!!) "Looking for a Friend at the End of the World" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : (SPOILER ALERT!!!) "Looking for a Friend at the End of the World"

Worf101
07-02-2012, 10:17 AM
"Seeking a Friend For the End of the World" - I generally used to like Apocaplypse movies starting with "When Worlds Collide" back in the 50's. But then we got soooo many "giant meteor smears earth" or earth stops spinning or gloabal warming caused by whale farts movies that I actually began rooting for the world to end if only to stop the steady stream crappy assed films. I was done with "the ear is doomed our stalwart heroe's bravely sacrifice their lives to save us from whatever disaster is befalling us this week. With this dour vision in mind I went to see Stever Carrell's latest offering and all I can say is wow.

I was stunned by the brilliant scripting, great acting, believablly ubsurd situations, you name it. Yeah, the middle of the film drags a bit and some folks do forgive and forget decades of animosity kinda quickly BUT all in all it was an entertaining film. The best/hardest part about it:

SPOILER ALERT
>
>
>
>
>
>"
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

There is NO HOLLYWOOD ENDING. You get to the point you're really pulling for these people and all the "just plain folks" and little kids to somehow be spared this holocaust and they aren't. In the very beginning of the film you hear that daring shuttle mission to blow up the asteroid (named Matilda?) failed spectacularly and that there is going to be no reprieve. You blow that off not believing it or even caring until the end, when you WANT folks to live. I admit I felt moved and misty eyed in the final scenes. Well worth seeing.

Worf