New analog toy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New analog toy

bajaed
07-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Took a little temporary detour from my vinyl, tube upgrade plans and picked this up:

First recording on RT-909 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC1OH5YMAyk)

Not a good recording from cell phone but it sounds great in person.

Permanent home will be in built in cabinet behind and below where you see it.

Poultrygeist
07-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Looks and sounds nice. I recently set up a friend's HT and he now wants to give me his Teac reel to reel. It's huge and I don't have a place for it yet but wondering if it be worth the effort?

Enochrome
07-02-2012, 12:48 PM
What are you guys going to play on it? Are reel to reel tapes with good music on it able to be found?

JoeE SP9
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
See the link below for pre-recorded RtR tapes.

Tape Project Catalog (http://www.tapeproject.com/catalog/catalog.htm)

Enochrome
07-02-2012, 03:47 PM
See the link below for pre-recorded RtR tapes.

Tape Project Catalog (http://www.tapeproject.com/catalog/catalog.htm)

Ok, there it is. That's a new one to me.

At $300 an album, I'll stick to LP's, and go on vacation instead. :crazy:

bajaed
07-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Well you wont see me paying $300 a tape(though I would love to pick one up second hand).

There are plenty of used tapes available, I've bought two this week for less than $10. I've heard that stuff from the 50's and 60's sounds really good if it was taken care of. I also have a few 10.5" reels of music I mixed in the studio in the early 80's I've been dying to hear again.

The main use will be to record albums onto tape. I can get 90 minutes of quality sound per side and the 909 has auto reverse so I fan listen for three hours without changing anything. I can also do mix tapes by genre of my favorite songs.

Nice to have especially when you have people over. Plus its fun and it.looks cool with the reels spinning and the blue lights:5::5: glowing!

bajaed
07-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Made that last post from my phone, was trying to use a different smiley and ended up with two bass players.

To expand on the post above, think of being able to write down 3 hours of your favorite songs and put them in any order and everything stays analog. Nothing digital, nothing sterile just hours of analog sound with no interruptions.

When I used tape in the studio I knew I would like to own a tape deck someday. Took 30 + years but I got one!

Enochrome
07-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Made that last post from my phone, was trying to use a different smiley and ended up with two bass players.

To expand on the post above, think of being able to write down 3 hours of your favorite songs and put them in any order and everything stays analog. Nothing digital, nothing sterile just hours of analog sound with no interruptions.

When I used tape in the studio I knew I would like to own a tape deck someday. Took 30 + years but I got one!

Aahhaaaa! Now I get it!! No digi!! All analog all day long. Yes, brother!!! I too think they look freakn awesome and it beats a crappy coffee table book :D I need to get one, but how do you know if all the tidbits are working and such?

nobody
07-03-2012, 04:04 AM
I keep being so tempted to get a reel to reel machine. I think lacking a third tape loop after my CD burner and cassette deck already have claimed the two I have is keeping me from making the leap. But that looks awfully nice sitting there. Have fun.