DIIV right in [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DIIV right in

Jim Clark
06-29-2012, 05:16 AM
Oshin by Diiv is without question one of the few albums I've thoroughly enjoyed this year. They lean heavily on Joy Division influence even including a large dose of the "high bass" sound that draws a swift Joy Division comparisons. I'd think that I'd be more unsettled by such heavy handed borrowing but they quickly create a dreampop, shoegaze, post punk amalgamation that can stand on it's own. Cloud Nothings have the only other record even in the running for my album of the year so far. If you liked the first Interpol album, you might be a candidate for digging this record.

jc

nobody
06-29-2012, 05:35 AM
I just did a quick search and saw that this group was formed by one of the guitar players from Beach Fossils. Since I like that band a lot and your opinion in these matters is generally something I trust, I'm gonna go grab this and give it a listen. Thanks for the heads up.

bobsticks
06-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks Jim. Both Joy Division and shoegaze in the form of the Cocteaus still get some play in these parts. I appreciate the tip as this sounds right up my alley...:thumbsup:

Mr MidFi
06-29-2012, 01:57 PM
I listened to a little of this... and me likey. Thanks for the tip, JC! Joy Div by way of Interpol with a pinch of War on Drugs for good measure.

(While I was at it, I also listened to some of the new Walkmen... and I think I'm liking it too.)

Swish
07-01-2012, 05:56 AM
Yes, trepidation because on reviewer mentioned that all the tracks seem to blend together because they have the same rhythm and sound too much alike, comparing it so the Real Estate cd that I found to be mediocre.

Jim Clark
07-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Yes, trepidation because on reviewer mentioned that all the tracks seem to blend together because they have the same rhythm and sound too much alike, comparing it so the Real Estate cd that I found to be mediocre.

I'm a bit nervous about being able to cover all of the refunds! If you hate it, consider the source!

: )

Swish
07-02-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm a bit nervous about being able to cover all of the refunds! If you hate it, consider the source!

: )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :smilewinkgrin: