Changes with the system and new thoughts [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Changes with the system and new thoughts

Big Dog RJ
06-29-2012, 05:08 AM
Good day mates,

It's been a while since I last visited here. Been overseas for a while, back in Melbourne now. I did visit the folks at "what's best forum" very interesting bunch of people who love their music.

Nice to hear that all are keeping fine and still discovering new things, especially SE tubes driving big Apogee ribbons (nice one Flo) and yes Krells do not produce musicality, rather brute force - that's about it. They will never be able to do what tubes do, and some Audiophiles love Krells and others simply don't. It's just a matter of choice and what each one prefers. Therefore you cannot really condem Krells, plus D'Agostino has been designing them this way for years...

I got rid of my Wilson Alexandria's; I just didn't have the room for them. The room is extremely important in any system, having said that they sound absolutely stunning with their new owner's system who has ample space to host a mini rugby match. The bloke using all Audio Research amplification plus the new c-j Gat preamp. I leant him my Lamm monoblocks for a while just to check out the real sonics and boy did they drive the X 2's to a whole new level of realism. No wonder they cost so much!

Anyway, having travelled and done some shopping for the part as of now, I am very happy with what I've got, and the realism is equally good in a decent sized dedicated room.
Preamp: c-j Act2
Power amps: Lamm ML 2.2 mono blocks (may upgrade to the ML3 signatures very soon).
Still have the c-j MV60se (of course with KT120 output tubes) lovely amp for what it can do.
Digital playback: Audio Research Ref CD8
Speakers: Quad ESL 2905
Accessories: Quantum QX4, Thor PS-10 power conditioner, and all cables and interconnects by Nordost and JM Labs.

Sometime around mid July I will be receiving the new c-j ART monoblocks for a little while just to check out the differences with the SE tube designs comparing them to the best of push-pull with KT120 monoblocks as an upgrade. Still prefer the Lamm signature 3's, but this is another costly affair with monoblocks again, don't want to end up going in circles as I once did with VTL, Manly, ARC and back to c-j.

Those Lamm ML3's are simply outstanding, and driving the ESL 2905's is definitely the closet approach!

Happy listening to all and enjoy your music. Please remember to get your room sorted out before you think of any upgrades. Been there and done it the hard way, fortunate to have some faithfull audiophiles wanting to go for X2's.
Cheers, RJ

Feanor
06-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Good day mates,

It's been a while since I last visited here. Been overseas for a while, back in Melbourne now. I did visit the folks at "what's best forum" very interesting bunch of people who love their music.

Nice to hear that all are keeping fine and still discovering new things, especially SE tubes driving big Apogee ribbons (nice one Flo) and yes Krells do not produce musicality, rather brute force - that's about it. They will never be able to do what tubes do, and some Audiophiles love Krells and others simply don't. It's just a matter of choice and what each one prefers. Therefore you cannot really condem Krells, plus D'Agostino has been designing them this way for years...

I got rid of my Wilson Alexandria's; I just didn't have the room for them. The room is extremely important in any system, having said that they sound absolutely stunning with their new owner's system who has ample space to host a mini rugby match. The bloke using all Audio Research amplification plus the new c-j Gat preamp. I leant him my Lamm monoblocks for a while just to check out the real sonics and boy did they drive the X 2's to a whole new level of realism. No wonder they cost so much!

Anyway, having travelled and done some shopping for the part as of now, I am very happy with what I've got, and the realism is equally good in a decent sized dedicated room.
Preamp: c-j Act2
Power amps: Lamm ML 2.2 mono blocks (may upgrade to the ML3 signatures very soon).
Still have the c-j MV60se (of course with KT120 output tubes) lovely amp for what it can do.
Digital playback: Audio Research Ref CD8
Speakers: Quad ESL 2905
Accessories: Quantum QX4, Thor PS-10 power conditioner, and all cables and interconnects by Nordost and JM Labs.

Sometime around mid July I will be receiving the new c-j ART monoblocks for a little while just to check out the differences with the SE tube designs comparing them to the best of push-pull with KT120 monoblocks as an upgrade. Still prefer the Lamm signature 3's, but this is another costly affair with monoblocks again, don't want to end up going in circles as I once did with VTL, Manly, ARC and back to c-j.

Those Lamm ML3's are simply outstanding, and driving the ESL 2905's is definitely the closet approach!

Happy listening to all and enjoy your music. Please remember to get your room sorted out before you think of any upgrades. Been there and done it the hard way, fortunate to have some faithfull audiophiles wanting to go for X2's.
Cheers, RJ
Sweet system, Raj. Thanks for the update.