Speaker vertical angles [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker vertical angles

JohnMichael
06-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Since finding that my OML1's sound best with no toe-in I decided to work on vertical angles. The OML1's have an angled front baffle which sound better on my 22 inch stands than on my 24 inch stands. I listen fairly close to my speakers so a little height difference is obvious. I think I need 23 inch stands.

Instead of buying new stands I have changed the vertical speaker angle by adjusting the spikes that support the speakers. Last night using a bubble level I tilted the speakers back a half a bubble. By that I mean instead of the bubble being centered the bubble is now half over the circle. Yes I am half a bubble off.

The increase in angle has improved imaging. Vocalists are more forward in the soundstage. I stayed up too late last night listening to the improvement. Today I am going to tweak a little tonight but I think I am about where I want to be.

frenchmon
06-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi JM....tweaking I see....Its in your blood.

Any ways my Sanus SF's are 30 inches and I too can use perhaps 24's. I want the Canton matching stands for the 830.2's They are 24's. You want to trade your 24's for my 30's ? I still have the original box. ITs a long shot, seeing you really cant use 30's unless you have some smaller speakers.

JohnMichael
06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Hi JM....tweaking I see....Its in your blood.

Any ways my Sanus SF's are 30 inches and I too can use perhaps 24's. I want the Canton matching stands for the 830.2's They are 24's. You want to trade your 24's for my 30's ? I still have the original box. ITs a long shot, seeing you really cant use 30's unless you have some smaller speakers.

I have a pair of Pangea 3 pillar stands that are 24 inches tall. You may have them. I have the original box to ship them to you. I do not want any more stands but thanks. I am off on Monday so they will be on their way.

Sending them to you will help me clean out the walk-in closet. Who knows when I may have to go back in and will need the room.:biggrin5:

JohnMichael
06-23-2012, 05:31 PM
The increased level of detail with a little tilt back of the speaker is surprising. Each time I think to try a tweak and it works well I wonder why I had not thought of it before. I know many floor standing speakers have the ability to adjust the spikes for the correct angle. In the past I used the spikes to level the speakers and the same with standmount speakers. Adjusting the angle of the front baffle has been as important as any other speaker placement parameter.

frenchmon
06-24-2012, 10:07 AM
I have a pair of Pangea 3 pillar stands that are 24 inches tall. You may have them. I have the original box to ship them to you. I do not want any more stands but thanks. I am off on Monday so they will be on their way.

Sending them to you will help me clean out the walk-in closet. Who knows when I may have to go back in and will need the room.:biggrin5:

Cool JM...I will look for them. Thanks.

JohnMichael
06-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Well they are packed up but I need a little more packing tape so I will drop them off at UPS tomorrow. We have a local distribution center in town so things go out quicker than when dropped off at a UPS store.

I had the original box and all the packing materials. The inner box slides into a cardboard sleeve and I want to reinforce the inner box in the sleeve. The inner box also has the instructions printed on it so I did not want that covered with labels.

I am glad these are going to an audiophile. In cleaning out the closet I had different plans for them. We have men that come around looking for metal scrap and we leave anything metal outside the dumpsters for them. I am happier they will be under your speakers.

I left the rubber speaker supports on the top plates since they are adhesive and once off useless. The spikes for the top plate are also in the box. The rubber supports might be good until you are sure of placement. The hex key to assemble the stands is also in the bag of parts. Remember my return policy; Do not! If you do not like them pass them on to someone else. They are sturdy and heavy and I look forward to carrying them down the steps.

Here is a link to what is coming your way in the 24 inch version.

Pangea Audio - DS03 - Heavy Duty Speaker Stand-Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGDS03)

frenchmon
06-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks JM...

JohnMichael
06-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Listening to Maria Muldaur "Love Wants to Dance" on Telarc Blues is a great cd. Though I must say the vibraphone has never sounded as real until I angled the speakers. Now I am looking for fully adjustable speakers.

I have found height adjustable stands but I would like a stand that has an adjustable top plate. Like a camera tripod you could adjust the angle of the front baffle and also adjust toe-in easily. Once you find the best adjustments then you can lock them in place. If anyone knows of a stand for a medium sized bookshelf speaker at about a 22 inch height let me know.

Feanor
06-26-2012, 04:17 AM

Here is a link to what is coming your way in the 24 inch version. [Pangea Audio stands]

Pangea Audio - DS03 - Heavy Duty Speaker Stand-Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGDS03)
Those are good looking stands! The AA sale price makes they very reasonably priced.

Poultrygeist
06-26-2012, 11:28 AM
It would be easy enough to build in a slight tilt with this DIY design. All you would need is to miter the PVC cut at the desired angle. Sand filled these stands are like the Rock of Gibraltar.

TNT-Stubby - A DIY Speaker Stand Project on TNT-Audio [English] (http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.html)