RPX theater [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RPX theater

recoveryone
06-23-2012, 10:11 AM
My City went into a deal with Regal theaters. This Monday is the debut of this joint Venture, which has cause a up roar in some circle's. Either way, being a movie fan, I am interested in this RPX setup they have installed that rivials IMAX setups. Has anyone expreience RPX before? please chime in. They are offering $2 pre shows Monday-Wednesday all sales go to local charites, most of the movies are from a few months back. I think Hunger games is the most recent film they are showing at this price. Monday is Superheros day featuring:

Thor 3D
Capt America
X-men first class
Ironman 2

Tuesday is some type of Hispanic theme
Beverly Hill Chihuahua
Case Di ma Padre
Prada to Nada
Girl in Progress

Wednesday Family/kids
Happy Feet 2
Hugo 3D
Puss in Boots
Rango

List of other films showing

Hunger Games (in RPX) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuU3Rmni3ak&feature=plcp) [PG-13] 12:10 3:15 6:30 9:35
21 Jump Street [R] 1:50 4:45 7:35 10:35
This Means War [R] 1:40 4:25 7:40 10:30
The Vow [PG-13] 1:25 4:10 7:50 10:40
War Horse [PG-13] 12:20 6:25
The Descendants [R] 3:40 10:05
Dr. Seuss’ Lorax 3D [PG] 1:30 4:30 7:05 9:20
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked [G] 2:00 4:40 7:20 9:40
Journey 2: Mysterious Island [PG] 12:00 3:10 6:10 9:05
Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol [PG-13] 12:45 3:45 6:50 9:55
Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows [PG-13] 1:05 4:00 7:25 10:20

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Recoveryone,
RPX is nothing more than a rip off of the old IMAX format, but they add ceiling speakers to the mix. Just like any theater no matter how many speakers, no matter how big they are(they have 8 21" subs), or how much power is in front of them, its the tuning of the A chain, and the quality of the B chain that ultimately decides how good the system will sound.

Unlike old IMAX, RPX is just blowing up 2K files and putting them on a large screen. Old IMAX used large scale film prints that were actually shot with large scale cameras. Old IMAX had FAR more resolution hitting the screen than RPX does. RPX uses a very wide 2:35:1 screen which makes it easier to retrofit already built theaters.

I have seen just one movie in a RPX theater, and the visuals were quite good but not the same as old IMAX. The sound was pretty darn good.

recoveryone
06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the info TT, and it makes since. this theater is replacing one that ran out on the city about 7 years ago and had 16 screens and now this new one will have only 10, but part of this EDA/RDA (redevelopment money) is to have resturants built off the now closed off sections. Folks here are on edge, with this project and a new rapid bus route being built from the north end to the south end of town. People are upset that all these tax dollars being spent when our violent crime rate has sored threw the roof in recent months, and the city is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the info TT, and it makes since. this theater is replacing one that ran out on the city about 7 years ago and had 16 screens and now this new one will have only 10, but part of this EDA/RDA (redevelopment money) is to have resturants built off the now closed off sections. Folks here are on edge, with this project and a new rapid bus route being built from the north end to the south end of town. People are upset that all these tax dollars being spent when our violent crime rate has sored threw the roof in recent months, and the city is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Please tell me you DON'T live in Stockton.....

recoveryone
06-25-2012, 01:46 PM
No, San Bernardino

recoveryone
06-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Just got in from seeing Hunger Games @ the new RPX theater. TT your right, this was the best PQ and Surround quality I have witness in a theater. The PQ was right up there with BR and the sound setup was the closes to a home theater I have ever heard. No over baring boom or high volume to compensate for lack of good surround setup.