Best voltage Transformers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best voltage Transformers

RGA
06-21-2012, 12:04 AM
I am likely making my move to Hong Kong permanent and I will need to bring my Stereo over.

So looking for an appropriate voltage transformer for my amp and turntable.

The OTO is rated as 100 Watts maximum power consumption and the turntable is rated at a more confusing 3.3 Va.

My concern with the turntable is that it is made strictly for 50hz and can't be changed to 60hz (for any reasonable sum according to Audio Note).

I've read some poor transformers will eventually fry gear after several months but I'd have to think there are some good ones out there - These are the only two units that would be used on the transformer.

This is what I am looking at cause I think it's probably overkill for my power needs LiteFuze 2000 Watt Voltage Regulator Stabilizer Converter Transformer LR-2000 (http://www.litefuzevoltageconverters.com/ar2000-2000-watt-voltage-regulatorc20002000.html)

Thanks,

RGA
06-21-2012, 07:22 AM
Forget the info about the turntable. Apparently transformers don't adjust frequency so the 60hz for the table in Canada won't be converted to the 50hz of Hong Kong which basically renders the table unusable without a frequency converter. These devices cost in the thousands and the cheap VPI gets somewhat mixed results and the ones people like cost $1200. So it looks like I will have to sell it. Man I waited 10 months to get the bloody thing and going to Audio Note again - LOL another 10 months - and the prices went waaaaay up. Geez.

TheHills44060
06-21-2012, 12:10 PM
RGA where in HK are you moving? I spent a week visiting an ex in one of the Tseung Kwan-O On Ning Gardens towers and boy was it cramped!

RGA
06-21-2012, 05:34 PM
I've been here since September starting a 2 year contract. But I like it here so my intent is to stay.

Apartments are small - larger than hotel rooms but 435-700 square feet is common. So it rules out me reviewing any large speakers hence the LS3/5a which is hugely popular here. Understandably tubes and SETs are also very popular since they don't need to fill a massive room (err and I suspect because they double as a space heater in the winter since there is no insulation at all in the buildings :)

Hong Kong also reminds me a lot of British Columbia so I don't get home sick although I do miss hockey and baseball - the latter is killer for me = I love baseball.

I am hoping to go to the California Audio Show - waiting to hear back if they have room for me as it's a bit last minute. The Jays are in Oakland and the Mets are in San Fran and I always wanted to go to that park (if they could get Bonds to play one more game for me it would be nice).

tube fan
06-21-2012, 09:40 PM
I've been here since September starting a 2 year contract. But I like it here so my intent is to stay.

Apartments are small - larger than hotel rooms but 435-700 square feet is common. So it rules out me reviewing any large speakers hence the LS3/5a which is hugely popular here. Understandably tubes and SETs are also very popular since they don't need to fill a massive room (err and I suspect because they double as a space heater in the winter since there is no insulation at all in the buildings :)

Hong Kong also reminds me a lot of British Columbia so I don't get home sick although I do miss hockey and baseball - the latter is killer for me = I love baseball.

I am hoping to go to the California Audio Show - waiting to hear back if they have room for me as it's a bit last minute. The Jays are in Oakland and the Mets are in San Fran and I always wanted to go to that park (if they could get Bonds to play one more game for me it would be nice).

I wouldn't move to HK for 10 million $. Marin county has great weather, and is extremely bicycle friendly. SF is a short 30 minute drive.