Sharp debut 90 inch LCD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sharp debut 90 inch LCD

Smokey
06-19-2012, 08:31 PM
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/image/news/sharp-lc90le745u.jpg

Sharp Corporation has this week launched the world’s largest LED-backlit LCD television available on the consumer market (at least in the United States). The Aquos LC-90LE745U boasts a 90-inch screen, measuring more than 80 inches in width and 48 inches in height.

The Sharp LC90LE745U is equipped with full-array LED backlight, full HD 1920×1080 resolution with active-shutter 3D technology. Other specifications include AquoMotion 240 motion-compensated frame interpolation, integrated WiFi, built-in web browser, as well as internet-connected portal that provides access to a number of video-on-demand (VoD) apps such as YouTube, Netflix and Hulu Plus.

The LC-90LE745U is available to buy now from US stockists for retail price tag of $10,999.

texlle
06-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Saw this at Magnolia/Best Buy earlier in the week. Unfortunately, I believe it was playing off of the standard feed throughout the store, not a separate digital signal from a bluray thus the picture quality did not look as good as my Samsung LCD. When comparing to other flat panels using the same video feed, the picture was quite sharp with vibrant colors. This TV is just massive. Sitting on an 27ish" tall cabinet, it was taller than me by a good few inches, and I'm 6'. I had to stand at least 12 feet away (more like 15) for optimum viewing distance. The TV casing is <3" deep-- quite slim.

Smokey
06-20-2012, 08:14 PM
This TV is just massive. Sitting on an 27ish" tall cabinet, it was taller than me by a good few inches, and I'm 6'.

When you are in store where enviroment is big with talll ceiling, one don't have prespective as how massive a 90 inch LCD TV can be in an ordinary size room. I was shopping for a 32 inch LCD for bedroom and the screen size looked so tiny in stores. But when I brought it in bedroom with limited space, it does not look so tiny.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-21-2012, 07:16 PM
This set is a waste of time, and many will not be sold at this price. By the time you get to 90", you might as well go for a Sony or JVC 3D front projector. The price is certainly cheaper, and you can get a larger picture as well.

Smokey
06-21-2012, 09:42 PM
This set is a waste of time, and many will not be sold at this price. By the time you get to 90", you might as well go for a Sony or JVC 3D front projector. The price is certainly cheaper, and you can get a larger picture as well.

How about if on don't have a dedicated hometheater room where lights can be turned off-as watching projector in daytime is practically useless unless one have a dedicated room :)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-22-2012, 09:29 AM
How about if on don't have a dedicated hometheater room where lights can be turned off-as watching projector in daytime is practically useless unless one have a dedicated room :)

Not exactly Smoke. Today's digital projectors put out far more light than CRT projectors of the 90's, They also have screens that absorb reflective light, so you can actually watch a movie without the lights being off.

Smokey
06-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Not exactly Smoke. Today's digital projectors put out far more light than CRT projectors of the 90's, They also have screens that absorb reflective light, so you can actually watch a movie without the lights being off.

But with lights on, wouldn't ambient light still hurt projector's contrast ratio as compare with LCD?

I'm guessing there must be a good reason shoppers opt for big screen LCDs as oppose to buy a projector since big LCDs are more popular. Maybe you can shine more lights on this subject :)

recoveryone
06-23-2012, 05:14 AM
But with lights on, wouldn't ambient light still hurt projector's contrast ratio as compare with LCD?

I'm guessing there must be a good reason shoppers opt for big screen LCDs as oppose to buy a projector since big LCDs are more popular. Maybe you can shine more lights on this subject :)

Smokey you are right as far as the mindset of the average comsumer who may not have kept up with the improvements of projectors over the years. Also they will see the ease of just buying a single viewing platform over buying a projector and screen. The cost factor is on the projector side now days, but most people will still see going to a projector as an dedicated room setup. I have a friend that has a 72" mits LCD and its like being at the drive-in, so as you put it both platforms will need a room that can handle ample viewing distance 12-18' so you won't be turning your head from side to side trying to absorb all of the content on the screen.

Smokey
06-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Smokey you are right as far as the mindset of the average comsumer who may not have kept up with the improvements of projectors over the years. Also they will see the ease of just buying a single viewing platform over buying a projector and screen. The cost factor is on the projector side now days, but most people will still see going to a projector as an dedicated room setup.

Thanks for info. I wonder how much changing the bulb frequently also factor in consumers decision in going the LCD route instead of projector as I think the lamp have only life span of 3 or 4000 hours which is about 2 years of watching 6 hours per day.