The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw & Whipping Cords Will Serve ... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw & Whipping Cords Will Serve ...

Davey
06-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Was just listening to this new one from Fiona Apple, and it is sounding really nice. Most people probably know by now whether they like her or not, she does have a sound somewhat her own. But the striking thing about this one, especially after a series of loud and crappy sounding CDs from just about everyone this year, this one has some real dynamics! As a matter of fact, it's a very nice recording. There aren't really any singles, and it's more stripped down than normal, no blown out orchestrations or heavy-handed production, though certainly not sparse sounding. The songs are all substantial, and very dramatic at times. I think this one might stand up nicely in the coming months. Kind of what I was hoping for from the latest Carina Round, but not delivered. This one delivers on both music and sound. Fun times with headphones too - the "Hot Knife" closer is something else.

"Werewolf" up at song of the day.... waveform below.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22278349/fiona.jpg

Hyfi
06-17-2012, 10:58 AM
I don't know a lot of her work but saw a few tv concert performances way back. Her band was killer at that time. She sat in the fetal position under the piano while she sang thru much of the show from what I remember. I like her unique voice some.

jonnyhambone
06-17-2012, 05:19 PM
very psyched to pick this up on Tues. Somehow, I really never gave Fiona a listen before...been streaming this one on NPR's First Listen and even there, it sounds excellent. Feels a bit like that nice collab. between Jim White and Nina Nastacia, You Follow Me, but the songs themselves are grabbing me a lot more here. I'll pick up the vinyl so I'm hoping to be really wow'ed by the sound. (love where the playground yelling comes in at the end of Werewolf...)

She's coming to Mpls. soon, should I go out of my way to go? Will she be hiding behind the monitors?

Davey
06-17-2012, 07:03 PM
very psyched to pick this up on Tues. Somehow, I really never gave Fiona a listen before...been streaming this one on NPR's First Listen and even there, it sounds excellent.

Yea, I'd almost given up on hearing something to really knock me out this year, then kind of out of nowhere this comes along. I'm sure there was a lot of advance publicity, and probably a lot of nice fanfare and reviews, but I missed it all. Makes it even better.

But we could still support each other ... all we gotta do is avoid each other... :)

I've always been a little indifferent to Fiona as well, I like her, but ather than the debut, never went out of my way. This one does have a nice mix of sounds and styles. Completely different, but kinda reminds me some of Bjork's Post, which I've been listening to a lot lately, and which is one of my favorites.

Jim Clark
06-29-2012, 05:04 AM
Well recorded? A whole lot better than most, especially over the past several years. Sadly, I'm not enjoying the music at all.

jc

Davey
06-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Sadly, I'm not enjoying the music at all.

jc

Yea, I can kinda see that, but it is too bad. Great record, even forgetting the sound. Very inventive, lyrically, musically and sonically. Really all over the place but not messy at all, just keeps moving along while I'm listening. I haven't read much about it, but know it has gotten some mixed reviews, so not surprising that a somewhat challenging record isn't loved by all :)

Nothing wrong when a song ends in the minor key

Snowbunny
07-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Well recorded? A whole lot better than most, especially over the past several years. Sadly, I'm not enjoying the music at all.

jc

Hey, you are still here! Wanna make a deal? :smile5:

Snowbuns

Jim Clark
07-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Hey, you are still here! Wanna make a deal? :smile5:

Snowbuns

I post on occasion as time allows. If you want my Fiona Apple disc I'll just tell you now that I downloaded the flac files to try it out first, otherwise it would be on the first flight to Canada!

jc

Snowbunny
07-19-2012, 01:04 PM
I post on occasion as time allows. If you want my Fiona Apple disc I'll just tell you know that I downloaded the flac files to try it out first, otherwise it would be on the first flight to Canada!

jc

Thanks anyway, Jim, I appreciate the sentiment.

Nice to chat with you - it seems like ages since we crossed each others' path.

You know I tried to snag some flac files from Davey's song of the day link, but I can't seem to get a download of the flac conversion program to work for me on my mac.

Aren't you a Mac user? Maybe you have some ideas that might work for me. :)

Snowie

Davey
07-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Aren't you a Mac user? Maybe you have some ideas that might work for me. :)

Snowie

I think most use XLD for those conversions that aren't supported directly by Apple ... X Lossless Decoder: Lossless audio decoder for Mac OS X (http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html)

Snowbunny
07-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Awww... :-(

Davey
07-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Awww... :-(

Hmmm, I thought the main advantage for XLD was that it's so simple anyone can use it. Not so? Admittedly I haven't tried it. Silly that itunes still won't play flac, is that what you use? Sorry, that's all I got. I can upload something in apple lossless if you want.

Jim Clark
07-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Hmmm, I thought the main advantage for XLD was that it's so simple anyone can use it. Not so? Admittedly I haven't tried it. Silly that itunes still won't play flac, is that what you use? Sorry, that's all I got. I can upload something in apple lossless if you want.

and I've got less than that as I don't have a Mac.

jc

Snowbunny
07-24-2012, 07:11 AM

Apple lossless upload! Thanks Davey!

Snowie

What's that?

Snowbunny
07-24-2012, 07:13 AM
and I've got less than that as I don't have a Mac.

jc

So you're saying you've got diddley-squat? And here I thought you were the big Mac around here?

And since no one else has chimed in, I guess I'm standing alone in the iMac corner.

Thanks,

Snowie

Jim Clark
07-24-2012, 07:28 AM
So you're saying you've got diddley-squat? And here I thought you were the big Mac around here?

And since no one else has chimed in, I guess I'm standing alone in the iMac corner.

Thanks,

Snowie

Troy is the Mac man. I threw a fit when I had to buy an ipod.